Praying for our addicts

Old 12-29-2008, 10:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Praying for our addicts

I was at an NA meeting today and a fellow addict I know came over and asked me about how my AD is doing. He then said, "I pray for her every day. I know it's not much but I wanted you to know." I said, "What, are you kidding me? Prayer is her only hope. It's everything!" Earlier in the week, another woman told me she was "still praying" for my kid.

I recall another NA meeting some years ago (before I knew my own child was an addict and I'd be praying my own "mom prayers"). The speaker asked for a show of hands for each one of us addicts in recovery who had "A praying mom" who "prayed us" into recovery. I remember almost every hand in the room went up, including mine (my mom prayed for me way back in the 70's before I got clean for the first time in '81).

Now I know there's no scientific study about that - we don't know how many addicts had people praying for them who never got clean - but I do believe that the power of prayer is actually the ONLY power we do have over this disease!

So let's keep those prayers coming for our addicts, each other's addicts, and each other!!
Old 12-30-2008, 01:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I've always enjoyed the part in meetings when they have a moment of silence for the addict who is still suffering...such a powerful, thoughtful gesture!

Old 12-30-2008, 01:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I believe in the power of prayer and pray every day. I try not to make it a "wish list" but ask for God's guidance for me, and protection for my son. It helps me get through each day.

There is a thread in the Spirituality Forum called "Prayers for the Addicts Who Still Suffer". where I (and others) post prayers each day. Please feel free to stop by and take comfort in the prayers or offer one of your own.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...art-2-a-7.html

Hugs
Old 12-30-2008, 05:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Restoring myself to sanity

I too Pray for my AH every single day... most of the time several times a day..

It's like Ann said, I don't make a wish list but more just pray for Gods will in both of our lives..

Since I have been doing this, I have been more calm and at peace with whatever unfolds..

I truly believe that my HP answeres every prayer, sometimes just not in the way I would like them to be answered... but there is usually a reason for that
Old 12-30-2008, 06:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks ((sleepygoat)) for the thread.

I pray today that God's will be done and that he is holding each of us and our loved ones in his powerful arms. I pray for guidance to follow the path designed for me today.
Old 12-30-2008, 07:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

i too believe prayer is extremly powerful. I often find that what happens isn't how I would have scripted it, but it is what should be ultimately. It took awhile for me not to pray with specifics and to truly trust the process. Prayers for all our addicts still suffering and for those so impacted by addiction.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
A Brand New Life

My prayers are solid, they don't have lies, they don't cheat, they stand their ground, they fulfill my need. They are always there and ready for me to be a part of them anytime I want. I truly feel like sometimes they are all I have in this unstable, unreliable situation of dealing with someone losing the battle to addiction. I only wish that the prayers would sometimes be answered sooner, but then there is always a plan in place, timed for a reason, and all will be revealed.
Old 12-30-2008, 12:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I haven't prayed for a long time...maybe when I was a little girl, but I do now, especially for my ex-abf. I hope someday his HP will lead him to the road of recovery.