Passing on some wisdom (hopefully)

Old 12-29-2008, 11:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Friend of Bill W. /ex tweaker

Passing on some wisdom (hopefully)

I am an addict, and I am an alcoholic. I am an AA and NA member. I have codependency issues like anyone involved always does, but I have never needed to do AlAnon and I doubt I ever will (though I will not close my mind to it).

The reasons are twofold; firstly, I never was married, never had kids and my association with my own folks was over early on in the "sick part" for the most part. The second reason though is much more significant. I had a sponsor years ago who gave me some of the most sage wisdom about co-dependency that I have ever heard, and I have adopted it into my life philosophy ever since.

He said:

Originally Posted by "Texas" Tony W.
What other people say....
What other people do....
What other people think....

NONE OF YOUR DAMN BUSINESS!!!
All I can control is what I do. Through the twelve steps I have found emotional health again, and I know where I end and you begin. The only thing I can do about you, or anyone else is decide what my involvement is to be. I hope this is helpful to you as it was to me over the years.....

Old 12-29-2008, 12:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

I had a sponsor years ago who gave me some of the most sage wisdom
You'd be amazed at some of the sage wisdom those folks at alanon and naranon have passed along to me. I will be the first to say they have been a huge part of my recovery also.
No what others think of me is none of my business, but it was through their eyes, especially in the beginning that I learned how painful our actions can "really" be to other people when we our using.

That's me, we all have our own path to recovery.

Congrat to your success on yours!
Old 12-29-2008, 02:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Friend of Bill W. /ex tweaker

Oh I agree with you completely. I have a sponsor and a host of friends who know me and I am honest with and they can see me objectively when I can't. It is just that when it comes to family and especially people who are not doing anything recovery wise that I have to "lovingly detach".

I also have a joke:

How many Al-Anons does it take to change a light bulb?

None, they just lovingly detach and let it screw itself!