Notices

The Meaning of Addiction

Old 12-29-2008, 07:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
hopeful2009

The Meaning of Addiction

Hi Everyone! I'm new to this community and have a question that you all would probably be able to answer. What exactly makes someone an addict? I mean, I know the definition of the word, but do all people have different ideas about what addiction really is?
For example, when I was in college (one of the biggest party schools in the nation), getting wasted/experimenting was common and widely accepted. Some people can do those things with a carefree attitude and never think they have a problem. I, however, worry about every little thing and always have, so I have never known if I was overreacting about my use of substances or if I really did have/do have a problem.
Does each person have their own definition of addiction? I know I'm looking too far into this, but I'm really confused.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi and Welcome,

I think this addiction thing is a personal question and everyone seems to have a different definition. The concenus seems to be if you think you have a problem you probably do. I have a additive personality and should have known alcohol would not be any different. Alcohol is a much harder substance to give up then anything I have encountered. The excerpts from under the influence seems to make the most sense to everyone so I would begin by reading them.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Moving out of Limbo

To me, addiction encompasses a way of life. When I am constantly replacing things that instantly gratify me with other things to instantly gratify me, I see that as an addictive personality. That can be drugs of all forms, people, food, whatever.

The substance dependency is a symptom of a bigger problem.

Like the first reply in this thread, I agree that if we think we have a problem, then we do. That's the rational side of us asking that question. Addiction is irrational, because we repeat behavior we know isn't good for us, and sometimes may kill us.

Welcome. I hope you find the right path.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
hopeful2009

Thank you! I'll take a look at those!
Old 12-29-2008, 08:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi hopeful! I think everyone's definition of addict is different. I know for me I wasn't really an addict until I could admit it to myself but to someone outside looking in they would have called me one a long time ago. I didn't think I had a problem for the longest time and just in the past few months have been able to claim that I am an addict. My addiction was codeine and I blamed my doctor for giving it to me and not paying attention but it was really my fault cause I knew that I had a problem and kept taking them.

I have a super addictive personality like Philly and I should know that anything that is going to make me feel good or better than I do right now will stick around for a long time. Whether it be food, alcohol, drugs, sex, gambling. Some people can drink as teenagers or young adults and never become an alcoholic, some people have one dosage of a prescription med and know that it makes them feel good and they are hooked forever. It depends on the person.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Read the stickies at the top of the forum page. They are very helpful.

Welcome!