Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Don't know if it's PAWS or what, but I'm feeling horrible lately

Notices

Old 12-26-2008, 12:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

both mentally and physically. Next Sunday I'll hit six months sober. But I feel awful in too many ways. Woke up out of two horrible scary dreams today and still don't feel 'real' or grounded in reality. Got my gas bill and it was huge - way too big for as low as I keep my furnace, so either there's some horrible error in the last meter reading or the girls who were here while I was gone over Tgiving turned the furnace way up and didn't tell me.

Have errands to do but don't want to leave the house. Can't sleep as I had a two hour nap a while ago (the second scary dream). Feel agitated and upset and sick and don't know why. I've had two cups of chamomile tea and still can't calm down. Feeling alone and disconnected worse than ever. Can't sit still and can't rest. I feel like all this sh!t is being thrown at me and no time to get out of the way.

Am really stressed lately, and now these horrible dreams are intruding on my waking life and this huge bill to pay or argue about with the gas company. Hating my life but can't leave it. Don't know what to say or do or feel anymore. PAWS info says these are normal expected feelings, especially around certain lengths of sobriety. But how do I get past them and feel 'normal' again??

Feeling so alone and afraid and uncertain.:wtf2

Old 12-26-2008, 12:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

I am sorry your feeling like crap.
I have no idea about PAWS..Cause I never get clean long enough to know.
But I am thinking of you and hoping you feel better soon.

Old 12-26-2008, 12:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I haven't experienced PAWS either.

But, I have had many 'down' times during recovery. I have had times when I feel like I'm not moving forward at all, but just marking time. It's frustrating. But, in the end, it's usually followed by a a small leap forward.

Have you tried keeping a dream journal or trying to figure out what your dreams are trying to tell you about yourself? Maybe there is a message that you might understand.

Hang in there, Least!
Old 12-26-2008, 01:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Drunkaholic

Least -- it is so weird to come home from discarding my Christmas boxes to see this post.

I am feeling very similar. I am very irritable, can't see to get motivated, my best friend is begging me to come over and hang out, but I really don't want any in-person meaningful conversation.

I had plans to get out for a 9AM Spin Class, then it rolled past and then I said I'd got to the Noon Class - didn't happen. Now let's see if the 5:30 one happens.

I am not craving or anything like that. I just feel tense and like I would be so irritable if I had to carry on any conversation.

I just think the only answer would be to just sleep, but too tense to even do that. Plus, I have been enjoying sleeping through the night since the 3 days after I quit this week.
Old 12-26-2008, 01:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Dismember

The cure depends on the patient.

Things that help are what make you healthy, creative, self-aware and what gets rid of the mental baggage. And, worst of all, is patience.

Something I did that relieved a reoccurring nightmare I had. I had these really horrible dreams where I would be looking down at my arms, and see my wrists being cut as by some invisible knife and I'd start bleeding to death (as you can imagine, it was wonderful waking up to that!)

My solution was to draw a little comic (a minor hobby of mine) where in one panel I drew my arms (normal); in the next they'd be bleeding; then in the last I drew a picture of my whole self, shouting at someone off-panel for being clumsy and spilling ketchup all over me.

Since then I had one dream, but this time it was about ketchup, not suicide.
Old 12-26-2008, 01:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It will pass Least just like cravings pass. Our moods come and we notice them more now. It may be PAWS or it may be post holiday stress. I vote for post holiday stress with me. Hope you feel better soon. Hugs to you my dear and to your dogs!

Last edited by Horselover; 12-26-2008 at 01:58 PM.
Old 12-26-2008, 01:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Well, today is just one day of many - and many days previous to this, you were doing great. I understand how difficult it is when you are feeling stuck and full of fear, though, and how far away those good days seem to be.

So put off the errands, and don't worry about the gas bill for today. Enjoy that chamomile tea, have something to eat, phone a sympathetic friend, and maybe get into bed early. Nurture yourself and allow yourself to come out of it naturally.

You are approaching a huge sobriety milestone, and I am very proud of you.
Old 12-26-2008, 02:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

"I am very proud of you." by Rowan

Me too!!
Old 12-26-2008, 03:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Paws, heating bills and a world full of people that love you.

Love you Least

ed
Old 12-26-2008, 04:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Although 6 months is a major achievement it is still early days in the scheme of things, I know I felt weird at 6 months...in fact it is when I relapsed.

Also the excitement of being sober starts to wear off I think and it becomes less of a novelty...also 6 months is a milestone and milestones are hard for some people (me) for some reason.

It could easily be PAWS Least. Weird dreams don't help either!
Old 12-26-2008, 06:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

To my friend Least

I don't have any answers for you my friend. I want you to know that I care about you and really appreciate you!
Old 12-26-2008, 06:14 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Assistance with lifes SH*T

Hope this makes you smile!
Old 12-26-2008, 09:10 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Least - sorry to hear your feeling so bad. My thoughts are with you.

Everyone, what does PAWS stand for?

thanks
Old 12-26-2008, 09:31 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
6/20/08

I agree with Steam. Sometimes the stress of holidays just makes everything SEEM worse.

I hope you're feeling better.
Old 12-26-2008, 09:59 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

PAWS stands for Post Aqute Withdrawal
Old 12-26-2008, 10:00 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

spell tha wrong, sry, Post Acute Withdrawal
Old 12-26-2008, 10:15 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

6 months is a hard milestone I think.It was for me.I felt like I'd come so far-yet still felt so bewildered?

You'll be ok Least.It's times like this we just HAVE to see it as one day at a time.Regardless of the days we've clocked up?Life throws stuff at us.It always will.But just deal with today.I know it sounds trite-but it's all I can do sometimes to remain sober.And I have.You can too.

Just keep putting one foot in front of the other.The rest will fall into place eventually.Promise

Julesxox
Old 12-27-2008, 05:54 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

THank you all for your love and concern. I will try not to focus on the bad feelings and events, but more on the good things. At least I woke up feeling better today and no bad dreams. It's not raining so I can give the dogs a nice long walk.

I would be lost and alone for sure without the love and caring of everyone here. You all make the difference to me that enables me to keep on keepin' on, especially when it's a hard road to walk. It does help tremendously to know I'm not alone. Thanks to all of you. I love you more than I can say.
Old 12-27-2008, 07:02 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

That nice long walk with the dogs will help. Some exercise and fresh air always helps me, even if not as much as I wanted or temporarily, it's a break...

So live in the moment !

Mark