she admitted she has a drinking problem

Old 12-22-2008, 11:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
No Codie No More.

she admitted she has a drinking problem

well she told me she broke down to her mom about her problem, she said the reason she is changing is because her mom hugged her and they never hugged before.

well she told me she has a drinking problem, she would never tell me this sober, and also she doesnt want to smoke canabis anymore. she said her dad is going to get her counseling for cigarette smoking.

I told her about the detox she will go through and she said "thats why they prescribe librium". thats my smart girl. she also said shes going to go to the doctor to see if everything is alright.

she told me she doesnt like coming home every night drunk to her parents. I told her that her parents didnt like seeing her coming home drunk every night and she asked do I think it was every night and I told her yes because everytime we hung out she would be wasted. I told her that It got to the point that I could tell if she drank before we hung out or smoked.

and she said she has to change.

she said she wants to hang out with me more. 1 on 1. instead of hanging out at the bar drinking,just get a table and eat without drinks.

well its a giant leap. I guess she realized she couldnt do it anymore, while I'm happy and still cautious.
Old 12-22-2008, 11:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ago

Well Good luck

Does she have a plan?

Do you?

Things change fairly rapidly with sobriety.

She *may* be in for kind of a surprise about the whole Librium thing, generally speaking Dr's who are familiar with addiction don't prescribe drugs to get people off drugs unless the withdrawal is pretty serious or even life threatening, my sister has been running that plan for about twenty years, the "one drug for another" plan, she is presently addicted to Dr prescribed Vicodin and I heard something about Oxycontin recently.

Dr's who aren't familiar with addiction can get her addicted to other drugs to "treat" her sleeplessness, irritability, etc. and believe it or not, that's not that uncommon, I see that around the rooms on occasion, "sober" alcoholics that are "addicted" to "meds" prescribed by their physician to treat "addiction".

It boggles the mind Dr's could be so clueless about the disease of alcoholism but there it is.

She told you this when she was drunk?

she would never tell me this sober
Good luck, and I would suggest taking steps to handle either sobriety or relapse or simply not quitting, and the answer I found was in Alanon based literature/meetings/SR
Old 12-23-2008, 03:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

addicts are expert at finding new doctors to persuade to get narcotics. the use of librium or similar drug is the lesser of 2 evils in etoh detox since etoh withdrawal can kill a person.
the public has become quite good at demanding a "pill" for everything especially seeing drug company advertising.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
No Codie No More.

she was sober when she told me. when I left she was sober and I was up talking to her on the 'net til 2am. still sober.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

Perhaps it would help you to understand the definition of sober. Maybe that might be a good thread for you to start. She's FAR from sober at this point. That means she's likely being FAR from truthful with you, her doctors, and her family.
Old 12-23-2008, 02:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

Hello drained!
I agree with FormerDoormat, would be nice to have everyone's input on what sobriety really means. So you are more prepared to deal with this situation.

Hugs to you.
Old 12-23-2008, 05:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My AH gets "sober" every now and then. In fact, he was "sober" for two straight weeks in March, the last I recall. My AH has told me he has a "drinking problem" that is killing him. Multiple times. Okay, so?

A lot of A's have a plan to make a plan for a plan. I've heard that in many open A.A. meetings over the years. A plan to make a plan.

Talk is cheap. Actions speak louder than words. Sorry to use such trite old phrases, but it rings so very true in addiction.

Sober for an alcoholic means working a program of sobriety. Being committed to remaining sober one day at a time. To accepting life on life's terms. It's a program that requires scrupulous honesty, not empty promises.

I'd bet the farm she's manipulating. Sit back and see how long this sober period lasts. See if she takes the initiative to get into a program.

I'm wondering why you aren't in a program, since you are the one posting here.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

number one rule......never trust an alcoholic. i will never speak to an active alcoholic again. once the red flag goes up, it's finis! oh, and never, ever, trust one in any shape, way, or form.