Ideas for first Christmas Eve without my children

Old 12-22-2008, 07:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Ideas for first Christmas Eve without my children

I am going to be without my kids this Christmas Eve because they will be with XAH. I want to keep myself busy doing something helpful, and spirit lifting for me and others. Can't be too expensive. I live in a winter resort community. Any ideas?

Old 12-22-2008, 07:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Recovering Codependant

I love volunteering my time. Is there a shelter in your area you can help out at, or even just ask at a local cafe/resturant if they need help serving? Other than that, my local area is having a Carols Concert outside the church on xmas eve, or there are special masses this time of year, which are not all heavily religious either if you don't like that too much. I went to one once, called a Christlemas Service, where the whole church was darkened, and the children were given oranges with candy and a candle to hold during the service and then while the congregation sang carols, the children walked around the church with their candle.

Try to search the net for xmas eve activities in your area.

I hope you have fun whatever you do
Lily xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Old 12-22-2008, 08:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Originally Posted by Lilyflower View Post
I love volunteering my time. Is there a shelter in your area you can help out at, or even just ask at a local cafe/resturant if they need help serving?
Wonderful ideas! When I've been alone and without my kids during the holidays, I've enjoyed serving Christmas dinner at the Club where I attend AA meetings. We also have an Alcothon in the area that starts at noon on Christmas Eve and ends at 3:00 PM on Christmas Day. Round the clock meetings, speaker meetings, food, and fellowship. And yes, Al-Anons are more than welcome to attend.

I'm glad to see you're reaching out for ideas, please don't isolate over the holidays!
Old 12-22-2008, 08:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I adopt a family every year. Does your area have a program like that?
Old 12-22-2008, 10:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

When I was first divorced and without kids on a holiday I spent the day with friends.