Notices

what is "the alcoholic voice"?

Old 12-21-2008, 05:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

what is "the alcoholic voice"?

hi all, i fell right off the newbie bus, and trying to come to understand some stuff about addiction and if i have it, i'm not sure yet, but i know that recognizing it or confronting it or whatever it is seems like a step or a sign? and i also know that reading and learning from everyone elses experience on here makes me feel a whole lot better, you all are very strong. oh yeah, my question is what is the "the alcoholic voice"? is it literal, do you hear a voice or is the force behind what makes you want to drink? it's such a dumb question i know! i don't have a voice but i feel sometimes like i have something to prove, like, "oh this won't be a big deal".
Old 12-21-2008, 05:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi,

For me, it's the chatter in my mind. It will tell me that I'm not okay, that I need something to help me feel better, those kinds of things. I think that recognizing that voice for what it is, enables you to ignore it, and to move on with your recovery.
Old 12-21-2008, 05:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

Hi Shandi... yep, that's it. It can be a literal VOICE in your head, or your subconscious, or that "devil on your shoulder", or those nagging thoughts in the back of your mind. Anything that makes you think to yourself that it's a good idea to have that drink when you know darn good and well that it is NOT.

I suggest reading the book Rational Recovery, but start by doing a google search on Rational Recovery. It's an alternative recovery program that teaches you to recognize your "Addict Voice" so that you can tell it to STFU. They do a really good job of teaching you how to recognize your own "Addict Voice" so that you can learn to shut it off and listen to your Rational Voice instead.

No dumb questions! Keep posting!
Old 12-21-2008, 05:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

For me personally it's not so much a voice as it is an intense physical craving to feel that would cause me to pull up to the Liquor store. I'd basically want a drink for whatever reason and would usually be too weak to have the willpower to quit or not do it.........ya know that "F%$^ it" mentality.

But whether it's your mind, nerves, stomach, voices, craving etc., etc., if you can't stop yourself from driving to the Liquor store or cracking a bottle when you know you shouldn't be, more than likely your either already there or well on your way to becoming an addict.

Good Luck and make wise decisions.
Old 12-21-2008, 06:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Adjusting my Sails

Rational Recovery uses the term AV, in AA they call it an obsession. For me it was the thoughts "this time I will only drink a pint" or "no one will ever know" etc. Didn't matter how alcohol was effecting my life when these kinds of thoughts took hold I always drank.
Old 12-21-2008, 06:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

thanks all! this place is very helpful and informative i think i'll stay awhile~
Old 12-21-2008, 06:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

My 'voice' is just my self destructive thoughts and feelings. My intellect knows alcohol is bad for me but my feelings often take an uncaring view, like I'm not important enough to treat so well. It's like the old story about the Indian boy's grandfather having "two wolves" fighting with each other in his mind. The one wolf was evil and one was good. GRandfather said you could control which wolf won by which wolf you fed - the good one or the bad one.

So my alcoholic voice is the "bad wolf". (altho I don't like that comparison as I really like wolves) I have to feed the "good" one more so it will be the stronger of the two.

Old 12-21-2008, 06:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My voice says "why not" - "whats the big deal" and I have not yet learned how to answer it or remind my self why everytime I get drunk, I swear the next day that I need to stop. It also says, well your hubbys out with his buddies having one, I should get to, too. (although hubby can stop after one or two) and I can not.
Old 12-21-2008, 06:38 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

My "voice" tells me that "next time"...things will be different. It is right..in a way cause things usually were different each time "out there"--things got much worse.
Old 12-21-2008, 07:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Ending the Old Me.

I've been in the check out line at the grocery store only to find a bottle of vodka in the cart with absolutely no memory of putting it there, and I wasn't even drinking at the time.
It's like I was on auto pilot or something.
That's what scares the living crap out of me!

The BB addresses this at the bottom of page 43.
Old 12-21-2008, 07:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

My AV tells me "You can just have one, you went 2 weeks without drinking, you don't have a problem, you can control it". What a line of bull! It's alcohol's cunning way to drag you back in, don't listen to the voice, it's a liar!
Old 12-21-2008, 07:36 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by chick3 View Post
My AV tells me "You can just have one, you went 2 weeks without drinking, you don't have a problem, you can control it". What a line of bull! It's alcohol's cunning way to drag you back in, don't listen to the voice, it's a liar!
That's the exact BS line mine told me before I relapsed over Thanksgiving after 13 days sober! Let me tell you, almost 3 bottles of Wine later I realized something...that voice is nothing but a PAIN IN MY ASS!

I've had it whisper in my ear a few times the past 21 Days, but I've managed to shut it up by asking myself "Will you stop at 1?" The answer is always a resounding NO, so I don't drink, I come here. It's worked so far.
Old 12-21-2008, 08:20 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

My AV is usually the sound of my own voice, as I rationalize why it's ok to drink again, how it wont hurt anything, it's just one drink, it's just one night. Weird thing is, I know when it starts and I don't distract myself from it, I'm going to drink. I do everything I can to shut it up. For me it is somewhat literal in the sense of listening to your own thoughts.. not in a hallucination kinda way, not for me anyways. It's always just thoughts, those thoughts of rationalization.