Notices

My story.

Old 12-21-2008, 03:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Talking My story.

Hi Everyone,

I am new to this forum. I would like to share my story on how I quit drinking, with all of you. I truly hope it helps someone else.

I started drinking 13 years back. Yeah, the number 13 is lucky for me. I began my drinking career drinking only beer every weekend. It was to socialize at that time. Initially I never drank the hard stuff but thats how most people begin I guess. Those days I could go a weekend or 2 without drinking. but never used to touch alcohol on the weekdays. Then, in 2003 I moved to a new country and started living by myself. Loneliness and work pressure was getting to me. I gave up on beer since I felt I was putting on weight from beer(alcohol is any form makes you put on the extra pounds which I learnt only later), so I started drinking white rum to overcome depression and kill my time. It started with a couple of drinks on a friday which invariably spilled over to saturday as well. I smoke too so my smoking increased 5 fold everytime I drank.Then, since 2004 I started drinking on Sundays as well and then a Monday, tuesday, etc etc etc. My drinking became full fledged. I drank everyday. I drank when I was happy, when I was sad, lonely, angry, anything and everything. I used to start with a drink or 2 but due to years of drinking, 2 started feeling insufficient. I wasnt getting the buzz so I drank 3 maybe even 4 sometimes. And on weekends I would finish 3/4ths of a 750 ml bacardi white in one sitting. If I didnt drink, I didnt know what else to do. I was bored, no one to motivate me to quit. I was fighting with loved ones over the phone. I was becoming a pain for everyone. I was hurting people I loved.

It all changed 3 months back when I got married. Both me and my wife wanted to have a kid right away. I tried to get her pregnant but couldnt. Was my sperm count screwed up? Can I never become a father? These were the questions I was asking myself. My dreams were fading away right before my eyes. I was scared. But like a true alcoholic, I went right back to drinking thinking bacardi would save my life and increase my sperm count in some miraculous way.It didnt. Time was running out. Then one fine day, I went through my bank transactions. Believe it or not, I was buying a bottle of alcohol every 3 days since the last 5 years. This got me crapped out.The money spent didnt worry me as much as did the amount being consumed. I quit cold turkey. Its now been 2 weeks/2 weekends. I have never gone a single weekend without a drink in the last 13 years even in my beer drinking days.

How did I do it?

I am not going to talk about determination and big words along those lines. I simply want to have a kid at whatever cost. This is my goal. I have read many articles on the net which say that the sperm count increases after 3 months of alcohol abstainance. So you need to have a goal.

How did I go about achieving it? Well, I found an substitute. It may sound silly to many of you. I drink a cup or 2 of coffee with lots of milk every evening I get the craving. In my case, I cant drink after I eat food or drink milk in any form coz I throw up. Once I drink the coffee, the craving goes away right way which makes me think its all in the mind. So, find a substitute. Find something to eat or drink which you feel will interfere with your drinks. I am sure every alcoholic avoids at least one food item before every drink. Try it.

Pros:

I feel so much happier and energetic.

I have gotten back to playing cricket over the weekend of which I was a member since 2003 but never went even once. Now I am a regular.

I wake up earlier on weekends and do things around the house. I wake up looking forward to the day.

I catch up on movies I missed out over the last several years.

I am back to weight training which was my passion at some stage in my life and I see some positive results showing on my body.

No more monday morning blues.

No more arguments with people I love.

And the best part, I'll be able to become a father soon. I cant wait.

My family and friends are proud of me.

Cons:

The only con as far I am concerned is that I smoke more on the weekends now. But I plan to quit this as well. One nasty habit at a time .

Know when I felt totally proud of myself? Last weekend a friend called me over for a couple of beers. But I said "Sorry, I quit drinking". I felt like on top of this world.

And for the first time ever, this new year's eve I wont be drinking. I have never missed a new year drinking celebration since I turned to alcohol all those years back.

If this post helps someone else out there, I'll be the happiest. Thanks for reading.

Good luck. You can do it!!!!!!

Cheers,
Raj

Last edited by RajToronto; 12-21-2008 at 04:23 PM.
Old 12-21-2008, 04:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Hello, Raj! Welcome to SR.
Old 12-21-2008, 08:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

hi raj

thank you for sharing your story with us!
Old 12-21-2008, 08:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to SR!
Old 12-21-2008, 08:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Welcome to SR! Thanks for sharing the story. I am looking forward to seeing more of your posts.
Old 12-21-2008, 08:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~miss nikky~

thankyou for sharing raj, everyone's journey is their own an well done for doin it, goodluck with trying for the baby you an your wife desire.
Old 12-21-2008, 08:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
CindeRella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!

Thank you for sharing your ES&H with us! Welcome to SR- We are glad that
you found us! Please keep posting and sharing!
Old 12-21-2008, 09:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR
Old 12-22-2008, 04:26 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Breathing

Thanks for sharing Raj, Welcome!!
Old 01-08-2009, 03:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi,

I have gone past 1 month since I quit drinking. I didnt even drink on new year's eve. I have been sticking to my coffee schedule so far and it has helped.

However, to be honest I was tempted on many occasions especially into the 3rd week, to have one last drink but didnt give in to the temptation. It was especially hard when I had lots of stress to deal with at work. Instead, Instead I chose to have my regular cup of coffee or watch a good movie or bench press a few or eat something. Now, its much easier for me. The craving has gone. Infact on new year's eve a couple we know came over to celebrate new year with us. My friend wanted a drink so I poured him one. But, the problem was that he doesnt usually drink alone. So, I had to fool him. I served regular drinks for him while I poured sprite with water and lime for myself .He didnt even know. This is when I realized that when you really want something bad, you will do it no matter what. The best part is that I was able to enjoy new year's eve without drinking. I have lost a lot of weight, exercise is a regular part of my life now and I am very happy with the results. Even my family is proud of me.

I am now planning to quit smoking. I am going to try the laser therapy sessions to quit smoking. I have heard a lot of good things about it. I will let you all know how it goes.

Cheers,
Raj
Old 01-08-2009, 10:09 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Glad to know your life is improving so quickly

Blessings to you and your wife