Notices

First post and one week under my belt!

Old 12-19-2008, 11:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First post and one week under my belt!

Hi, all.

I'm grateful that these forums exist, first and foremost. Here's to the administrators, moderators and dedicated community members for making it so.

I've been substance-free for a week now and while I have my moments ... I am beginning to love not imbibing. Drinking (and consequently blacking out) really took a toll on me, and having just ended a live-in relationship that, in hind-sight, moved along too fast for too many reasons that weren't valid, the two coupled, and a really nasty mode of thinking couldn't seem to stop emerging. Removing the bottle(s) and the person in question from the situation seems to make this path much easier, and I feel it's the one I'm meant to be on. There's much work to be done, but this has been coming for a very long time. This is my first attempt, my first acknowledgment of substance-abuse/major behavioral issues and the first time in a long time I've been proud of myself.

I am also working on anger issues, because when I blacked out, I was not a nice girl. When I am conscious and sober, I am quite the people-pleaser, albeit with a fairly short fuse. The Serenity Prayer is working wonders for me.

I love reading, working out, making music, listening to music, philosophy , languages, various trivia and music theory.

As such, I imagine I'll spend quite a bit of time in the most appropriate forums (largely Special-Interest Groups) at this point in my life and in my recovery, but I wanted to say hi to and thank everybody here for their honesty and integrity.

Thanks!
Old 12-19-2008, 11:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

Hi Yay!

Welcome to SR and congrats on your first week! You sound really good. I like your positive attitude. I look forward to reading more of your posts and following your progress.

TSH
Old 12-20-2008, 02:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
On the road of happy destiny

Welcome! It sounds like we have a lot in common... I'm glad to see you here!
Old 12-20-2008, 05:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Big congrats on your clean and sober week!
Old 12-20-2008, 05:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Breathing

Congrats on 7 days!!!!

Keep coming back.
Old 12-20-2008, 07:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

I was also a people-pleaser who turned nasty when I was drinking. It was a sad sight. Alcohol truly made me sick. I also had to work on the people-pleaser issue and I have found that having some firm boundaries in my life has worked wonders. It was the beginning of not relying on other people's opinions, to know how I was feeling.
Old 12-20-2008, 10:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey!! Congrats on your first week, keep on posting...
Old 12-20-2008, 02:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

wtg
Old 12-20-2008, 03:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome....
Congratulations on beginning your new life
Old 01-02-2009, 05:30 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Smile

21 days later, I wanted to come back to this thread and reflect upon the changes I've made.

I am so much happier now. My mental state has gone from being very iffy to being much more solid. I am capable of recognizing boundaries now, and knowing that even if I can't do one thing, I can do something else, something that's probably much healthier and more beneficial to my life.

I don't carry the anxiety or burdens I used to, and I feel that if I keep to the path I'm on, I will be capable of healthy relationships of many varieties.

Thanks so much to the contributors, moderators and administrators of this forum. It's been a blessing during some dark hours, and I will continue to pass it along to other people in need.

I haven't had a single drink since December 12th, 2008. Heaven knows I wanted to on Christmas Night, after seeing a depressing movie and not knowing what to make of certain relationships. Instead, I came here, and I called people I loved to tell them I was feeling down. The aforementioned relationships are working themselves out. That Serenity Prayer can be my saving grace some days, along with this forum.

Turns out, my aforementioned former partner has finally come to grips with issues pertaining to sexual compulsion, which answers ....so many questions, and allows me not to blame myself for things that went wrong. I'm referring him to the appropriate resources, and I am so proud of him for his honesty, and for ending the cycle of denial.

Thank you all.
:ghug2
Old 01-02-2009, 05:43 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Way to go on making three weeks clean and sober!