Notices

New to the group; nice to meet you all!

Old 12-19-2008, 06:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Only stepping forward

New to the group; nice to meet you all!

I'm not even sure where to start. Like many nights, there are a million thoughts going through my head right now.

I have been in a serious relationship with an A for just over a year now. Of course, it wasn't until roughly six months ago before I realized he was an A.

It was about 4 months ago when I found this website. I had done a google search for online alanon support one night after a huge argument and realizing I couldn't do this by myself anymore. I HAD to talk to someone!

And in the last 4 months of working the program I have made it through...... haha......Step 1. Maybe I'm not working it near as well as I should. I have yet to go to a F2F meeting though I've become a regular at one online. It helps. It helps a lot. But I still have so many questions and whatnot. I'm hoping to find that extra help, extra push that I need, here.

I love my BF with all my heart. And it hurts me so much to see him this way. But I've about had all I can take and have considered leaving many times, especially the last few weeks. I hold out hope that he'll realize he can't keep doing this and he'll take the step he needs to change. But I think that's part of where I'm going wrong. Because all I do is end up getting disappointed and maybe even angry with him.

So anyway. I guess I'll leave this little introduction at that. It's good to be here and I look forward to getting to know all of you and getting some much needed support.
Old 12-19-2008, 06:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Pleased to meet you, kv. I can tell you from personal experience, it's almost impossible to handle it alone - and only if you're armed with all sorts of knowledge on alcoholism can you even know where to begin. I was you, many years ago - I was the classic enabler - so forgiving, understanding, and willing to pick up the pieces for him. Long after it no longer mattered, I finally understood what I should have done. It was tragic, but I'm not even sure if he would have ever listened to me or acknowledged the disease. I'm glad you found us, you are no longer alone.
Old 12-19-2008, 06:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

D'oh! I typed out a reply and then got some weird database error... oh well, let's try again!

Hi kv, and welcome to SR. You will find lots of support here from people who know exactly what you're going through. I encourage you to also check out the Friends & Family forum. You are not alone.

Nice to meet you.
Old 12-19-2008, 07:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Nice to meet you. I am new here tonight and greatful for this site. I am snowed in here in NY...but I feel like I am at a meeting because people here are very cool and there is so much to read and learn and be motivated by.

You are not alone.
Old 12-19-2008, 07:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Welcome!
Old 12-19-2008, 08:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

KV - I too wanted to say welcome to SR and I agree you might benefit from this area and the family and friends forum also. Concentrate, if you're able, on your own recovery for now and take care of yourself. You may be surprised what your example does for your bf. Any ways - welcome again!
Old 12-19-2008, 08:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You are an awsome mother!