Notices

12 days sober and wanting a drink...

Old 12-19-2008, 04:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

12 days sober and wanting a drink...

Hi, I haven't posted in a couple of days...I've been attending a lot of meetings and been busy with Holiday stuff, etc...Now, again, it is Friday night, my husband is working and I am home with my daughters...I most likely would be drinking by now and have such a taste for wine, I can't tell you! I got through a couple of dinners this week no problem, but here at home alone...with the girls...is excruciating!! I guess I just needed to get that out. Reading other's stories is helping a little, but I am so anxious right now!!
Old 12-19-2008, 04:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

How old are your girls?

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 12-19-2008, 04:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The are 8, 5 and 2!!
Old 12-19-2008, 04:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Stay strong, and fix a hot drink! I'm walking into the Friday night woods myself tonight...
Old 12-19-2008, 04:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

Wow, you've got your hands full.

Maybe time to pop Frosty the Snowman or some other festive Christmas video in and have a girl's pajama party? Blankets and pillows on the floor, popcorn (or some safe-for-a-two-year-old snack), and some snuggles?

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 12-19-2008, 05:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Great idea Sugah! I know the feeling Chick. In the beginning I got the most intense cravings and that's when I popped on to SR (just like you did) and did a sort of SOS. Good job by the way. I am drinking a cup of coffee. I have started having that each evening after dinner. Its a treat with the mocha mint flavored creamer I put in it. Keep reaching out if you need to.
Old 12-19-2008, 05:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

HL - great minds think alike! I've gotten in the coffee habit the past week or so, and my new favorite flavored creamer is mocha almond fudge.

I like the blankets-on-the-floor suggestion. That actually goes over wonderfully in my house, and my boys are 14 and 5! There's something magical about moving the coffee table and throwing pillows on the floor...
Old 12-19-2008, 05:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yep - Friday night, snow day, college kids home, holidays. I'm feelin' it too...What kills me is that I play the tape through and can mentally get rid of the urge/crave, but there is this freakin' knot in my stomach that I just can't get rid of.

What I do - I have some herbal calming tea, maybe one of my awesome meditation cd's, get hugs from wife or any of the kids who are willing (not always the case, they are older than yours), take a walk, post and read on SR forum. When it gets really bad (not so often now, bad I mean...) I read the Big Book.

My daughter wants to watch 28 days with me tonight. I'm 6 weeks out of rehab and haven't seen her since she went off to her first year of school... She's good friends with somebody 4 years in recovery and we can talk without it getting too heavy or threatening.

So, popcorn and diet coke (her favorite!!), a movie, my daughter. Doesn't get any better!!! Oh, we'll be on the floor too.

Mark

Old 12-19-2008, 07:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

great ideas here guys

D
Old 12-19-2008, 08:19 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you for all your great ideas. I will definitely do the movie night/popcorn (with Mama Mia) tomorrow night. Tonight, I took the girls out to look at Christmas lights and then went for some hot cider/chocolate. I also stopped by a girlfriends who is 7 years sober and had a great chat while the kids played. Just gotta get over that hump sometimes, one day at a time right? Thank you!! I love SR and all the support!
Old 12-19-2008, 08:26 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I once loved my wine too....and the whole neighborhood knew that I had wine at some point. I thought about putting the police report on my fridge. lol.

Anyway, it wasnt funny then but I got over it. I say get your outfit ready for tomorrow. Have your day planned. Make a cup of tea. Stock up on some good magazines and books when you can for the future. Tomorrow is a new day, a day without hangovers or regrets. You can get through it.
Old 12-19-2008, 09:25 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Glad you got through and had some good company! We are also home now and the temptation was no where near as bad as I thought it might be. Looking forward to waking up and feeling good in the morning again. I used to love driving around with my parents to see the lights...that brings back good memories...
Old 12-19-2008, 09:52 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Dana Point, California

I used to love wine and the thought still comes about once in a while that I might be able to "drink normally" once again. Don't do it! Just hang on. The only dangerous one is the first drink.
Old 12-19-2008, 10:04 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

...one day at a time.

...cravings are short lived - a relapse could last years, or end your life.

...go to a lot of meetings.

...call sober people - get a lot of phone numbers.

...buy a lot of snack cakes - who wants a drink after having 3 Ho-Ho's?

...get enough sleep...and stay busy.

...remember your last drunk, and be grateful for your sober day.

You are in my prayers!
Old 12-20-2008, 05:13 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Lots of good ideas here to keep you sane and sober! You can do it!
Old 12-20-2008, 05:44 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

hi chick...lots of great suggestions here...sounds like you did what you needed to get through that moment(s)...my sponsor tells me all the time to move a muscle, change a thought...works really well when i get inside my own head and start thinking maybe just "one"...i know for me it never was and would never be just one! hang in there...those days are fewer for me now..i love the life i am creating one day at a time...bumps in the road and wrinkles and all!! xoxoxo Lisa
Old 12-20-2008, 05:51 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Breathing

Good call last night chick. You're doing great. Yeah the wine will still call out. But I think watching a good movie w/ the girls and maybe painting toenails would be alot more fun.

~ note to self... I need a pedicure~
Old 12-20-2008, 07:02 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Chick,

You are doing great. I think that making plans to do something else and pushing yourself to go out and do things with your kids is really the way to go. Each time you get over a craving like that, it will make you stronger.