Notices

I have a new respect for my disease

Old 12-15-2008, 07:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Red face I have a new respect for my disease

Last friday while straightening up a shelf on a bookcase I came across a bottle of Ambien that I, apparently, had hidden there before my "intervention" and rehab last September. When I first came home from the treatment center I went on some search and destroy missions, all came up with nothing.

I was not ready for this though. I came home 5 weeks ago and my guard for this scenario was diminished, I hadn't slept well the night before, there were so many of them and nobody was around. I had developed a pretty strong addiction to Ambien after I had finally detoxed myself from benzos and stopped the stimulants last spring/summer.

My first reaction was "Thank God, I didn't think I could have POSSIBLY taken all those tablets..." I knew I had to get rid of them, but... Just for a second, I thought, well, nobody has to know, maybe I'll just tuck them safely back into their hiding spot... maybe I'll need them some day...

I flushed them down the toilet, told my wife, and was really shook up. Pretty much screwed up the rest of the day for me... So close to the insanity. I really believe, especially now, that my disease is trying to kill me.

Whew, close call... still 92 days C&S, thank God

Mark
Old 12-15-2008, 07:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Excellent work! That must have been hard but you did it!
Old 12-15-2008, 07:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey Cubile congratulations and btw I liked your title for this thread "I have a new respect for my disease." I guess that's what you call it - r.e.s.p.e.c.t. A half hour ago I wouldn't have called it that, but because of reading further on SR I have to agree. Its definitely a disease that puts on guard at times. Thanks for posting.
Old 12-15-2008, 08:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Oh I so understand.

I had a few members of NA come through my house before I went to rehab. They didn't tell me if they found anything or not but it made me feel better to know they did it.
Old 12-15-2008, 08:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Cubile. A big congrats on your 92 days, AND flushing the Ambien.

Isn't it almost surreal how we used to think? Or not think, as the case may be? I was getting a sweater out of my closet about a week ago and found 4 cans of beer! Now, what sane person has 4 cans of beer stashed in their closet?!

Again, congrats, and thanks for the 'reminder'!
Old 12-16-2008, 01:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

good job! and telling us is also very important. Have you told anyone else face to face?
Old 12-16-2008, 01:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Great story with a perfect ending.

Sounds like a "Why Now" choice moment that you passed with flying colors.

Congrats.....mac911
Old 12-16-2008, 06:50 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanx for all the support. I knew I wanted to share it here and I'm glad I did.

Yes, I told others. I told my wife, people at my small support group and some people I work with. I am blessed to have many people around me who know about my recovery and are supportive. I almost waited for a witness to watch me flush them, but I wanted them out of my hands NOW!!!!

I really feel better with this "rigorous honesty" thing. Sort of like confession.

Yea, coffeenut, I know about the bottles in the sweater drawers... the insanity...