Notices

Nine years later

Old 12-13-2008, 09:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Nine years later

Hi all

I am happy I found this place. I am on another forum for depression and anxiety, two things that alcohol increases! Well after nine years of drinking, binging mainly (weekends turning into weeklong sessions) and using drink to cope with anything from stress at work to whatever else life throws at me. I found myself in hospital recently. I drank so much I almost died Since hospital I have not drank. It has been three weeks and three days. I have stayed off it before for upto two months and I have drank controlled way also - glass of wine a day. But there is no denying I have developed a dependency. I now have an addiction counsellor and also psychiatric help. Alcohol is also a symptom of much bigger unresolved problems in me. Luckily I survived and have a chance at building a new life now. I have spent the last few weeks not missing drink, just recovering from the traumatic experience. It feels like my wake-up call and yet I want all the support too. The worst seems to be over me. But there is much therapy to do and confronting of deep scars. I will face anything now. I was suicidal two weeks ago and now I am ready to live again... at a gentle pace. I am taking refuge at my parents. Which is not ideal but necessary. Christmas time and drink is all over the media. I sometimes worry about the alcohol-less future, socially, dates, meeting new people, coping, things like that. I have made the first step anyway. So I don't want to, I don't need to and I basically can't drink. I have thought this before or questioned the idea of whether I had a problem but now the BS is over and I know it is not for me anymore. I have wasted much time hiding in the bottle, suffering terrible withdrawals over and over, as others here know it can be hell. No more for me. So I hope to find like minded people here for some extra support and hope I can also help others.
Thanks for reading
Take care of yourselves

J :ghug3
Old 12-13-2008, 09:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

I also believe that alcoholism is a symptom. Therefore, stopping drinking is the first step on the road to recovery. But, as you said, there is lots of work to do after that. I'm glad you are feeling well and that you are seeking support.
Old 12-13-2008, 10:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome =) This place has been amazing in helping me figure a lot of things out about this Disease. Stick around and do lots of reading, post if you have questions. You can do this~
Old 12-13-2008, 02:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome. So very glad you made it through almost dying from alcohol. I also almost died a few times from my consumption and you are right, the withdrawals are hell. No ifs, ands or buts about it. The good news is that you don't ever have to go through them again if you don't choose to,

I hope you will find lots of answers and lots of support here at SR.

Take care,
Kellye
Old 12-13-2008, 02:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome...good to know your seeking answers.
Old 12-13-2008, 03:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to a great place for recovery with friends! With the help of my friends here I've managed to stay sober for five months now. My life is getting better and I'm getting better at living. Stick around, read and post, and I'm glad you found us!

:ghug3
Old 12-13-2008, 10:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome! I can totally relate to the 'alcohol-less future' you mentioned. I'm pretty new to this list as well but I've found it to be a really wonderful place and everyone here is great.
Hang in there and take care!