the swing of emotion....

Old 12-12-2008, 05:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

the swing of emotion....

Hi everyone,

Wow, I'm writing today- quite a bit, typically more reading than writing, guess I got to get some things out.

I want to first express how much strength and support I have recieved from this network of new buddies.... thank you all so much. I think its starting to sink in.

I am a little concerned about the swings of emotion that come along in this process/journey, just when you think you have a handle on things....WHAM!!
You act/respond/feel something that you hoped you wouldn't.....

One step forward, two back. Hopefully I will have more forward from now on.

I wanted people to know, how much better I could breathe when I acted on WHAT I WANT/WHAT IS GOOD FOR ME - this was motivated by some responses I got from an earlier post today.

Tonight when I got home, my abf who is 'sick' (like legitimat sick) 102 fever, he was on the couch. I scrambled around like us good codies do.... fixing dinner, makeing tea and honey, changing bed sheets etc.

All the time feeling a bit resentful - when I finally sat down, I asked him what was up with my son acting so fresh today.....

Instead of a normal conversation, I got SCREAMED at. It dosen't matter what was said, or why, but instantly I KNEW.

He had to stay home from work because of illness- which meant his normal day of getting his fix wouldn't be available.... hence the horrible horrible mood swings.

WELL - thanks to some new found insight, i said to myself- "cessy, what do YOU WANT? a man who you dote on - to verbally trash you for asking a question?? All because he dosen't have his 'fix'? NOPE NOPE NOPE."

Soooo, I got my backbone (that always used to exist) thought of everyones words today and said I don't want to live like this. My house and I'm going to walk on eggshells - because of addiction??? NO ! HECK NO.

Rather than argue, or throw him out right then and there I did this-

I waited a 1/2 hr, walked into the room. Did not bring up addiction. I simply told him that I was unwilling to be spoken to in that manner. I also told him that swearing, or yelling so loud that his spit is flying out of his mouth was absolutly unacceptable.

I told him sick or not, I do not speak to people I love in that manner, and under no circumstances will I tolerate that behaviour from him.

I then informed him that I was going to go upstairs and read.

On my way up, he said he was sorry, and that he just isn't feeling good.

HOWEVER, I know the truth. These angry outburst happen more and more latley unless he is high.

The true progress I made throughout this though- is before (months ago) I was caught in a cycle with him, that if I challenged him he would say "fine" and threaten to leave......... and then I'd end up apologizing, and think I was wrong.

Well ladies and Gents, for the first time ever, as I was walking away from him I almost hoped he would do just that- only this time I wouldn't have stopped him.

I don't want it anymore. It will still be hard to say goodbye when that moment comes- but boy oh boy- I was sure prepared to say goodbye/goodridence tonight.

Irony always strikes like lightening- just when you are able to let them go----- they stay!!! URGHHHHH!!

I can't thank everyone here enough-
Love,
Cessy
Old 12-12-2008, 06:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks girl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I feel good!

You all have helped me sooooo much!!! I'm going to hang on to that feeling - validating myself -to carry me through to see this to the end!!!
Love
Cess
Old 12-12-2008, 06:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I'm applauding too, because you thought this out before you acted. You might have "reacted" when he was so angry (which would have made you a reflection of him) but nooooosirreebob, you paused, thought and then acted.

Well done. That's a big step you took today.

Hugs
Old 12-12-2008, 06:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Great job, Cessy!!!
Old 12-12-2008, 06:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

By golly, that calls for a couple of dancing bananas!!!!!
Old 12-12-2008, 07:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Restoring myself to sanity

Awesome Cessy...

I refuse to argue with my AH anymore and I refuse to beg and plead with him when he starts swearing and throwing a tantrum... because it is like you said... It IS MY HOUSE and I refuse to be treated like that in my home or any where for that matter...

Something that has helped me ... is everytime I feel the need to try to reason or argue with my AH, I picture this big flashing neon sign with the word INSANITY written on it.. I picture that sign standing there instead of my husband... it reminds me to just not go there because we all know that we cannot reason with insanity..
Old 12-13-2008, 01:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Well done Cessy!!!
I'm amazed. Such strengh.
Maybe he will respect you more now and speak to you like you wish to be spoken to. Drugs or not drugs.
~Limiya~
Old 12-13-2008, 02:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Stay strong Cess. You are getting better and moments like this will continue to happen. These are the moments we need to remember when the bad feelings come in. I am so glad that you are finding yourself and your voice.

Feels good to get off of the hamster wheel doesnt it?

Take care.
Love,
Cass