Notices

Day 4-Honeymoon's over

Old 12-10-2008, 05:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Day 4-Honeymoon's over

I've been very positive about my desire to quit drinking for the past couple of days...I think because physically I was feeling great. Tonight, my husband has to work so I couldn't go to a meeting...Now, my thoughts turn to-I can just have one??? I know that I can't and I won't tonight-one day at a time, but I guess I'm just feeling depressed and a little angry that I can't just have one. It's just been a stressful day...my usual m.o. would be to have a few (or more) drinks...

Just a hard day! I'm glad I have a place like this to come and share!!
Old 12-10-2008, 06:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi,

It's very normal to feel anger at the situation we've gotten ourselves into. Wouldn't it be nice to be like 'normal' people? But, we're not. It sounds like you're doing great!
Old 12-10-2008, 06:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Your cravings/urges can't last forever, so keep yourself occupied so you won't be as tempted to drink. Put it off five minutes, an hour, whatever it takes to get thru this.

It took me a while but I'm getting better at not having so many urges to drink, and when I do get them I'm better equipped to deal with them.

It IS great, isn't it, to have this site for support and helping hands. Makes it so much easier to deal with problems and so much fun to share triumphs. You seem to have a good grip on the problem - your thoughts and feelings - and won't let it defeat you.

Old 12-10-2008, 06:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you both for your responses and support. I could spend hours reading everyone's stories on this site. It does help to talk!
Old 12-10-2008, 06:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I understand what you are going through. Keep reading - there is a lot of support and inspiration to be found here. I'm really glad you didn't give in - that you came here and talked about what you are going through instead. It really does get better. There are usually nightly chat meetings here - one just finished - so that may help for those nights when you can't get out to a meeting. Do you have a sponsor yet or phone numbers for any other members? This would be a good time to use them!
Keep sharing - it gets easier.
Old 12-10-2008, 07:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I understand. I am angry to and would love one drink.
I am trying to focus on the mornings though. I wake up earlier, I am not hungover. I am working on my self esteem.
Nights get to me but I basically just keep putting it off etc - and then it's bedtime, then it's morning and yay I did it and have another day under my belt.
My last 3 days were crap and I put a lot of posts about what I was going through/how I was feeling on the boards. Today I feel ok, it's so nice, it's such a phyiscal and mental relief. I just want to stay like this and feel like this I don't want to go back to feeling crappy again. Just keep going, it will get better. In the good moment your so proud of yourself, it outweighs that drink, and then the guilt you would have to deal with afterwards.
Old 12-10-2008, 07:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
It's time to change!

Hello, Chick3....

I'm glad you let us know how you are feeling. Alcohol is cunning, baffling & powerful and will lie to you and tell you you can have just one or a couple!!! It has messed with me for years and my life had only gotten worse, never better in reality. Think it through and keep posting, reaching and reading! There is sooo much good support here and you will learn and hopefully believe that we truly relate and are here to hold up one another at our low points. Also to celebrate in the high ones as well!

Take care and thanks for you being here!

Hugs xoxoxox
Nicki
Old 12-10-2008, 08:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Just starting out...

I can completely relate to how you are feeling. Hang in there.
Old 12-11-2008, 05:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone, your posts have been very helpful. I too do love the mornings...I feel great and very proud of myself. I don't have a sponser yet, but I do have a good friend who is in recovery who is taking me to a meeting on Saturday morning.

I had a cup of tea last night instead-trying not to give in to eating too much, along with being an alcoholic, I am also a recovering bulimic/anorexic!