Notices

Greetings and Salutations! Any bloggers here?

Old 12-07-2008, 09:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Greetings and Salutations! Any bloggers here?

Hi. I've been lurking here for some time. During that time I've been asking myself the same questions that many of you have asked yourselves. I've decided to start keeping a blog and I'm trying to pimp it a bit here. Are there any of you that also blog? I'd be interested in following them and would like some responses to mine as well. That being said, I want to say that this forum is a great comfort. I find myself reading some of these threads and relating to what is said in a way that is hard to explain. I know I'm not alone in what I'm going through.

O.K., so that didn't work as planned!

Apparently I need 15 posts to attach a link. Looks like I'll be pimping the blog at a later time! Anyone interested in getting the link earlier than my 15 posts please PM me. It's tough for us lurkers to amass the post count! My prayers are with all of you that are struggling.

P.S. They are also with Pittsburgh today as they attempt to roll over "America's team"!
Old 12-07-2008, 09:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

As you already know...
our discussion boards are busy and full of support.

Why not use them to express yourself and let us
know what you are dealing with?

Welcome to our recovery community...
Old 12-07-2008, 09:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Carol,

I can't argue with your logic. Although, God knows I'll argue with anyone just for fun... it's sometimes like a sport to me. I've been arguing with myself for years. The argument goes something like this "You know you're an alcoholic don't you?". To which I generally counter "I function perfectly well thank you. I have never been in a wreck, I do homework with the kids and I've never been told at work that I have any kind of problem.". The fact that I can kill a 12 or 18 pack and people don't even seem to notice that I've been drinking was pretty much convincing enough. Then my wife sent me an email saying that she thinks we should be separated for a few weeks. You see, she was drinking as well. She thought if maybe we just split up that we would want to see each other after we began to miss each other or we would realize we are toxic for one another and simply get divorced. That happened this past Monday, December 1st. So here I am on December 7 (Remember Pearl Harbor and say a prayer of thanks for our WWII vets, heck through in all vets for that matter!) on my 7th day. I haven't really committed to stopping drinking before. The longest period I can remember stopping for is 40 days and that was for the observence of Lent some years back. I told her that I didn't feel separating would help me, but I agreed that we both have a problem with alcohol. So we quit, cold turkey. So far, so good. I haven't attended any AA meetings although I have considered it. I know that statistically I am less likely to relapse into drinking if I attend meetings but this is where the arguing part of my personality comes in again and says "Just try it on your own, you've always been a strong person.". I just previewed this post and when I re-read it I realize that it doesn't really sound like someone who has admitted that they are powerless over alcohol. Not a good sign.
Old 12-07-2008, 03:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

While I do use God and AA for my sucessful recovery
from alcoholism.....
I know not all drinkers who desire to quit are alcoholics.

Perhaps you are..perhaps not.

Have you read the 2nd sticky post in our Alcoholism Forum?
They are from the book that convinced me to quit.

Sorry your having problems in your marriage...
Blessiings to you and your family
Old 12-07-2008, 03:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

I'm glad you found us!

I'm sorry about the problems with your marriage and I hope that things work out. If you want to live a sober life, you've come to the right place. There is lots of support and information here.

I agree that AA is a good option. However, it's not the only way, and I am not an AA person myself. I hope you take a look around and decide to stay.
Old 12-07-2008, 06:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Carol - That was some pretty powerful reading. Thanks for directing me to it. Thanks for the kind words. I have faith in my marriage... we will make it through this and be better for it!

Anna - I am glad I found this forum, you guys seem like a pretty good group of people. You mentioned that you didn't do AA, could you tell me a little about how you have coped? I appreciate your comments and I as I said to Carol I know things will work out, we just have to make it happen.