I am addicted to denial.

Old 12-06-2008, 08:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I am addicted to denial.

I am addicted to denial.

One of things I've always wondered is whether my "codie-ness" was just a passing thing. I've been hanging around al-anon and this forum several years now. Read all the books, divorced my ex, started dating again. You know, if it had not been for my ex-wifes' addiction I never would have wound up in this mess. It really is _her_ fault that all this happened.

Last night I "forgot" to take my meds. Not a big deal to most people. Except I have a serious medical condition.....

ok, it's _very_ serious. In fact, these meds are the only thing keeping me alive. To "forget" to take them is downright insane. Now I have to adjust my med schedule and will likely feel like ****** all day.

So what thoughts are going thru my head? Oh, it's not so bad. Just missing _one_ nightime dose won't matter. I'm just being over-dramatic about it all.

Funny how I used to hear those same type of excuses from my ex-wife. Now I'm hearing them from _me_!!!!

Think I'll go to a meeting tonite.

Mike
p.s. oh yeah, that lady I'm dating? ..... she's a food addict.
Old 12-06-2008, 08:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Holy steaming bison turds, Batman! Can we start a new 12 step group called Denial Anonymous?

Seriously, I felt God whack me on the back of my head when I read your post.

I'm in the home stretch of finals/final projects for college, put off getting my high blood pressure meds refilled for a few days (because that wasn't a priority, you know), and sucking down coffee in the meantime, cramming for finals.

All the while, I'm wondering why I have a bloody headache for days on end, and generally feel like crap.

Are you another one of my brothers from another mother in a parallel universe, Mike?
Old 12-06-2008, 10:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

We have all sailed that river in Egypt

A meeting sounds good, Mike. I could use one this week myself, now that you've brought this up.....

I could also borrow Ann's steel-toed bunny slippers and thonk us both on the head. I hear those sometimes cut through denial & self-criticism.

Love,
GL
Old 12-06-2008, 01:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
God's Kid

Welcome to the club Mike.

My sponsor is oftern heard saying to me, 'so are you going to be like your mother and stick your head in the sand?'

Denial is my middle name and I am allergic to the truth/reality.

Old 12-06-2008, 02:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Oh boy Mike do I understand this one, rofl. Especially about the meds thing. I am on many meds and 6 different ones are for my heart, circulation, High BP, etc. I had several serious TIAs last January and it was made very clear to me at that time, that I MUST take these meds AS PRESCRIBED DAILY.

I do miss a medication now and then and YEP my head will immediately tell me, oh "it's okay," "missing one won't matter," etc.

I have done this about other things also. And as to relationships, well I can, easier than most, become involved with someone who "needs me." Yeah right.

Freedom, I think your right, we need a 12 program for those of us addicted to denial.

Even after all these years in recovery from alcoholism and codie-ism I still have an 'aversion' to reality and truth sometimes. GRRRRRRRRRRR guess we never get cured, roflmao.

Good thread, thanks Mike.

Love and hugs,
Old 12-06-2008, 03:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

hey mike.....lemme come out there and straighten this all out for you. i'll fix it.

seriously, we all have to be something, right? we all have character traits that make us who we are. don't be so hard on yourself.....none of us are perfect.

the world has to have people that are codies. that's where we get doctors, nurses, caretakers, teachers, people that are in professions that help the seemingly unhelp-ables.

being a codie doesn't necessarily have to be a bad thing. as long as it doesn't hurt us.

(and hey, i like food too. i could make you some real heart healthy menus!)

love ya bubby
jeri
Old 12-06-2008, 05:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
When Pigs Fly

I get sooooooo tired of taking meds, that I too say..tomorrow I'll do it right.
Jeri thanks for your comments I too feel that codies are important to society, that's why I became a nurse.(LVN)
As for you Mike, deep breath, a good meeting and a big hug from me, we love ya!

Kermmie
Old 12-06-2008, 05:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

(((Mike)))

Thanks for the thread...forgot to take one of my meds yesterday, and while reading this, remembered it tonight. Sheez, can I join your denial group? My meds aren't as critical as yours, but it's for the PTSD I suffered from the robbery at work and had to fight like he!! to get (workman's comp wouldn't cover it, had to go to my own dr.)..you'd THINK I could remember to take that pill, huh?

Thanks for a GREAT thread, and you're awesome timing! Now TAKE YOUR MEDS tonight!!

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 12-06-2008, 07:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Freedom1990 View Post
....Holy steaming bison turds, Batman! Can we start a new 12 step group called Denial Anonymous?
Oh Lordy!!!! I am in so many programs already!!!! My sponsor would likely send me to it too !!!!

Originally Posted by Freedom1990 View Post
....Are you another one of my brothers from another mother in a parallel universe, Mike?
Yup, the "Recovery Universe", which makes you my "Recovery Sis"

--------------------------------------------------------

Originally Posted by GiveLove View Post
We have all sailed that river in Egypt ...
* puts up sails, kicks back on deck chair and cracks open "Codpendent no More" *

--------------------------------------------------------

Originally Posted by lizw View Post
... I am allergic to the truth/reality.....
oooooh I _like_ that. It sure fits me.

---------------------------------------------------------

Originally Posted by laurie6781 View Post
Oh boy Mike do I understand this one, rofl. Especially about the meds thing. I am on many meds and 6 different ones are for my heart, circulation, High BP, etc. I had several serious TIAs last January and it was made very clear to me at that time, that I MUST take these meds AS PRESCRIBED DAILY.....
uh-huh. I got about a dozen altogether. Meds to get out of bed with, meds to get me thru the day, meds to go to sleep with, meds for when the other meds don't quite do the job..... and yes, my docs have given me those lectures too. They're right, I can see it right quick in my blood pressure, in the monster migraines, in the tremors I get in my hands, the pain in my chest and arm. Still, with all that evidence in my face, my sick mind goes off paddling on that river in the desert.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Originally Posted by embraced2000 View Post
hey mike.....lemme come out there and straighten this all out for you. i'll fix it.
* lmao * You'd never get a chance, girl, I'd be too busy trying to fix _you_ !!!!

.... being a codie doesn't necessarily have to be a bad thing. as long as it doesn't hurt us.....
Yup, I learned that at a meeting. "Codie" is just taking good traits to bad extremes. If I can keep those good traits in _balance_, then they are virtues.

....(and hey, i like food too. i could make you some real heart healthy menus!)....
Hey I'm a California kid transplanted to Las Vegas, I want _sushi_. I could live on sushi the rest of my life. .... well.... if I could afford it !!!! * lol *

--------------------------------------------------------------

Originally Posted by kermit View Post
.....As for you Mike, deep breath, a good meeting and a big hug from me, we love ya!....
thank you Kermie, can always count on you for a hug and support

----------------------------------------------------------------

Originally Posted by Impurrfect View Post
..... Sheez, can I join your denial group? ...
You betcha !!! Leseee..... The only requirement for membership is a desire to take my meds on time

......you'd THINK I could remember to take that pill, huh? ...
well... you _did_ get a bump on the head, so you could always claim amnesia

..... Now TAKE YOUR MEDS tonight!! ...
Yes ma'am !!

* lol *

--------------------------------------------------

You guys are the best. Thank you for all your support.

Mike ((((( hugs ))))))
Old 12-06-2008, 07:27 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DesertEyes View Post

* puts up sails, kicks back on deck chair and cracks open "Codpendent no More" *