update (long)

Old 12-05-2008, 10:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

update (long)

my husband is still in the hospital, slowly coming out of an excrutiatingly heartbreaking detox. with all the chaos around me, it's hard to believe that something else could go wrong...but it did. i arrived home from the hospital tuesday night to find that my house was robbed. all of his equipment was stolen, as well as jewelry, and other electronic items. my neigbors upstairs were also robbed. it was such a shock to come home to broken doors and a ransacked apartment after leaving my husband in the hospital. very surreal, and also very eye-opening. it truly put things in perpective and reaffirmed my belief that the most important things in life aren't the items we surround ourselves with, the creature comforts of modern living, or the debts we have accumulated...it's the people who we love and love us back that are the true gifts of life and at the end of the day, are the only things that matter. things can be replaced; people cannot be. i know in my heart that my husband loves me -- that's never been a question -- and i will be there for him during what will be a very difficult time. i've withstood the storm of a horrible detox as well as this robbery and know for sure that i can and will survive whatever is put in front of me. i am a strong woman and will always have the support of the people i love and the friends -- old and new -- helping me along the way.

it's now been 23 days that my husband has been in the ICU and they are hoping to move him to another floor soon (once a bed opens up). The rehab part of his recovery can't start until his infections are all gone because he is required to be in isolation. he is starting to sound more coherent, though some of his thoughts are intermixed with bits of television show plot lines (the television has been on in the background some nights). when i ask him if he knows that he is talking about television shows, he says yes. two very remarkable developments in the last two days...he called my office -- the number isn't anywhere in the hospital room and he called me at home at 4:30 this morning. I didn't mind the early morning phone call...it was actually quite welcoming and comforting to hear his voice on the line. it's a long haul; but i'm willing to sit by and help him (and myself) whatever ways i can. thank you all for being a place of support for me.
Old 12-05-2008, 10:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

(((profoundsadness))) I am so sorry you have so much to deal with right now. Take care.
Old 12-05-2008, 11:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ph.D in insanity!!

Profound, my husband is also a month out of the hospital from detoxing and infections and surgery to remove part of his colon. Even as much anger and resentment I had I found myself sitting beside him in his hospital bed, kissing a man I would once have spitten on. Giving kind words to someone who hurt me the most. That's because we are gentle and kind and most importantly forgiving.
My husband is now in our home and it's a work in progress. I don't expect miracles. It's very difficult and I have a huge wall around me. Everyday I say "one day at a time"
We didn't get robbed but are getting foreclosed on and I'm with you that it's not what we have but we have each other. You are looking at life in the right way.
Keep your heart as ease, your mind strong and everything will fall into place. You will be blessed.
It's all a test to see what we can tolerate. You are strong and stubborn like myself. I wish you nothing but happiness.
Old 12-05-2008, 11:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

{hugs} You sure do have a lot to deal with right now. But you sound like you are doing pretty danged well with it all.
Old 12-05-2008, 01:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

profound, it is not every person who would be able to talk with such clarity and kindness right after being broken into.

Keep on taking care of yourself -- and keep us posted too
Old 12-05-2008, 03:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Prayers for continued courage, strength and clarity for you both, and for a better, happier future.

:praying

God bless you
Old 12-05-2008, 04:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
mle-sober

Dear Profound,

I'm terribly sorry for your pain and for the chaos of addiction in your life. And then for the additional trauma and chaos of being robbed. It's horrible. And you are behaving with extreme grace and fortitude. Thank you for sharing your story here with us. When I read it, I think, "this woman is extraordinarily generous and wise."

You're in my prayers.

- Emilie