Notices

My First AA Meeting!

Old 12-03-2008, 07:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My First AA Meeting!

Last night was the end of day 3. It was sheer agony. I couldn't sleep--again. I was wracked by fear, anxiety and pure panic. Something horrible was about to open it's terrible mouth and swallow me. I had the insane urge to go running into the street, screaming. Had to wake my poor husband and mother(lives next door, thank heaven) and had her give me some ativan to calm down.

Being a binge drinker, I've gone through withdrawal before, but nothing like this. I made up my mind to finally take action. Saw my Dr this am and confessed my 15 year bout with alcoholism. I had never told my Drs before--always going in for "depression", "nerves", etc. Took the pills and still drank. He gave me an Rx for the withdrawal, told me it would last about a week and then simply asked: "What are you going to do about it?" I told him I was going to AA--today. He squeezed my shoulder and said "90 meetings in 90 days."

I was scared to death to walk into that building, sure it was filled with hopeless, beaten down derelicts. Was I ever wrong! They all looked like me--almost. They looked HAPPY! They were filled with a calm, inner peace, something I've never experienced. Everyone was friendly and warm. Nothing was asked of me, I need only to listen as they told the stories of what brought them to AA and what they had taken away from it.

After the meeting there were lots of hugs--I do not like to be touched by strangers or even people I know--but I welcomed their embraces, it just seemed natural, we all had a common bond. I was given lots of information and phone numbers to call if I needed help and the offers were sincere.

I decided to go to a second meeting this pm and had the same experience. Many of these people had been dragged lower than I've ever been and yet they had joy that I've never had. Most of all they had freedom from this disease of alcoholism and that's what I want and that's why I'll go back.

Peggy
Old 12-03-2008, 07:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
new and scared. :(

Peggy that is so awesome I am so happy for you!!!! And jealous!

I went to my first meeting tonight, well..attempted to, I got there and couldn't get up the nerve to get out of the car and go in.. but I did sit and watch as a few people pulled in and parked and walked up to the door, and i thought the same thing...wow, they look "normal". hahaha.

just curious - what did your dr. give you for withdrawal?

well congratulations and keep going! i am hearing from most people that AA is the way to go.
Old 12-03-2008, 07:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

Old 12-03-2008, 07:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

What good news Peggy....

AA? an awesome adventure for me.

Please do use those phone numbers if you feel like drinking.
Use them just to say 'Hi" or to ask questions.

We regular AA members are honored when someone calls.
It helps keep us connected and sober...
Old 12-03-2008, 08:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good for you Peggy =) Congratulations and Keep going, you can do it and we'll be here for you every step of the way!
Old 12-03-2008, 08:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sicilia - I was looking out for how you went. Maybe next time you will get the nerve to go in? (hugs)

Peggy - good to hear : ) good luck!
Old 12-03-2008, 08:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing Peggy! Glad to hear it went so well, I think I need to find a meeting to go to myself.
Old 12-03-2008, 08:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Peggy,

I am so glad it well for you! And so glad you had a positive, supportive experience with your doctor. Please keep posting and let us know how you are doing.

Love,

Lenina
Old 12-03-2008, 08:28 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
new and scared. :(

Originally Posted by Jakey View Post
Thanks for sharing Peggy! Glad to hear it went so well, I think I need to find a meeting to go to myself.
Jake...I really think you should...I think everyone on this forum could benefit from an AA meeting...or else we wouldn't be on here.
Old 12-03-2008, 08:46 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Yayyyyyy Peggy Sue!!

I love it when people have positive experiences with their first AA meeting!
Old 12-03-2008, 09:12 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by peggysue58 View Post
I was wracked by fear, anxiety and pure panic.
I remember the feeling only too well, Peggy. And it lasted a lot longer than three days for me.

When I finally got the courage to walk through the door to my first AA meeting I can remember how safe I felt. What a relief!

I'm so proud of you for your courage. No looking back now, lady.

Keep us posted, please.

Donna
Old 12-03-2008, 09:53 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
It's time to change!

Peggy,

Yeah! The ceiling didn't fall on you, people didn't laugh or point at you, lightening didn't strike you... and you walked outta there with some hope! Good for you, friend! Not saying that AA is for everyone, but for those it is it's like we've "come home" after awhile!

Glad you took that step and are grabbing on to the support out there! I went to a meeting last night and again tonight too. Last night a guy celebrated 19 years and was in tears at the end of his share. Tonight, a guy who has 1/2 day clean from opiates was in the room and shared. On both occassions, I related to these 2 guys in one form or another! We had the a meeting after "the meeting" and it was just so great re-connecting with people -- people that are doing this for years, months, weeks, days or even hours!

Look forward to hearing more from you soon, girl!

Peace & hugs,
Nicki
:atv
Old 12-03-2008, 11:54 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Peggy, great to hear this. They say the only meeting we're ever late for is our first meeting! I couldn't get sober or stay sober on my own. AA gives us a tool kit for daily living, a program of Recovery, support, Friendship and Fun!! Keep Coming (going) Back!!
Old 12-04-2008, 04:32 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Breathing

Peggy thats wonderful. I had the same fears before my 1st meeting in 18 years, and they were squelched immediately, then I had them again when I came back to New Orleans, they too were smashed flat. I treasure my morning meetings, it gives me a great start to another 23 hours of sobriety. I come away thinking about similarities and not feeling alone in all of this.

I'm so happy for you!!

Kim
Old 12-04-2008, 05:16 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Being Me for the first time

right on Peggy ....... keep going and growing w/ soberity .....And thanks for shareing your story , theres so many out there that a scared of that " first meeting " Maybe your share will inspire someone to take that first step thu the door too " keep commin back , it works if you work it !
Old 12-04-2008, 05:17 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm so glad it was a positive experience!
Old 12-04-2008, 05:26 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Fulldresser4

YAY Peggy....isn't it awesome? I can usually relate to something just about everyone says in the meetings.
Old 12-04-2008, 05:44 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

This is fantastic! What a great and positive step forward in your recovery!
Old 12-04-2008, 09:53 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

What is it that makes attending the "First AA Meeting" so scary? Fear of the unknown? Fear that, once we've walked through that door, we'll maybe be making a commitment to stay sober? Fear that "they'll know"? Fear that I won't "fit in"?

Isn't it wonderful that, for most of us
it is it's like we've "come home" after awhile!
I drank for 32 years, and I knew how to stop...I tried regularly over the years...lasted a few days at a time. But, the secret was staying stopped, which I never quite got the hang of...that is, until I made AA a part of my life. That was a little over 29 years ago! I sincerely hope your AA experiences will continue to be positive. Sorry I won't be around to celebrate your own 29 years...so, I'll just offer my congratulations in advance.

Old 12-04-2008, 09:54 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Way to go! I'm proud of you for making those meetings and telling your doctor.
Keep it up! It only gets better.