Notices

Day 3...Barely made it

Old 12-03-2008, 09:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 3...Barely made it

So yesterday was my day 3 and I barely made it. All day I thought about alcohol. I literally mean all day. Even at work, all I thought was alcohol and how I would drink for the last time after I get off work. I'm on my way home and there's the liquor store on the way. I convinced myself that this will be my last bottle and wont' do it again. But I somehow just drove past it. Then grocery store came and I thought I'll just have 2-4 beers, you know, give up alcohol slowly. I turned into the parking lot but after 10 minutes of debating, I left without alcohol. It was very satisfying feeling this morning. Usually I feel remorse after drinking the next morning.

Right now, I'm getting the urges again. Thinking about drinking couple of beers on the way home. Let's hope today goes by like yesterday.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good for you!

That's the way to do it - get through it and feel good about it!

And, next time will be easier.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Karma Amputee

Congrats on resisting temptation.

By doing that, and doing it again and again you are guaranteeing yourself a chance at beating this because it will get easier to resist but you gotta get through that initial phase, and it looks like you're doing it, and it's important that you allow yourself to feel good about it.

Good for you.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
It's time to change!

Vhin,

Good for you and what a feat! It certainly isn't easy putting the booze on the shelf, but you're doing it! Great job! Whatever it takes.... Don't drink no matter what - K?! Keep posting, reading and reaching out here and with other supportive friends. We don't have to go through this hell alone!!!! It'll get better!

Hugs,
Nicki:ghug3
Old 12-03-2008, 10:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Just starting out...

Isnt that such an accomplished feeling? Once you pull out of that store parkinglot it's like the burden is lifted and you can breathe a sigh of relief. good job!
Old 12-03-2008, 12:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am so proud of you! Yesterday was my day 3. It was agony. I would have given anything to turn off my brain. I talked to my family endlessly. Their comfort was the only thing that got me through it--was to addled to go to a meeting.
Went to my Dr this am, told him everything, then went to my first AA meeting. I truly have hope now. Talk, post, go to a meeting!

Good luck

Peggy
Old 12-03-2008, 12:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
It's time to change!

Peggy,

Send us a thread about your meeting and you having some hope! We need to hear it!

Hugs, luv xoxo
Nicki
Old 12-03-2008, 12:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Good for you for getting through it!

I know that voice you speak of. It lies to us trying to get us to pick up a drink.

Just for today, we don't have to listen to it! It will start getting easier.

I remember day 3.... it was very rough. Hang in there! I know you'll get through this!
Old 12-03-2008, 03:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Hey Vhin,
Hope you made it home again without the booze!

It was helpful for me to change things up and get new routines when I got sober. Go by the market and buy bananas. Buy a magazine instead of beer. Read the short articles or just look at the pictures.

When you get home, mop, dust, scrub the tub, etc... All the things that got neglected. Then fall into bed exhausted but sober!

You can do this!
Old 12-03-2008, 03:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

well done vhinrich

as others have said, it does get easier - as long as we don't act on those cravings, we;re making progress

D
Old 12-03-2008, 06:05 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Keep patting yourself on the back. Just tell yourself, one more day sober (and then it's groundhog day every day).
I am early, and I mean early, day two here! I am just saying no drinkies today. I am not committing in my head I will never have a drink again (which may not be the right thing to do) but I am just concentrating on today.