Notices

Greetings

Old 12-02-2008, 06:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Greetings

Hello all.. I'm a 33 old male living in the Ohio river valley. I came to this site about a month ago looking for some answers to questions I had about Xanax withdrawl. I never had to make a thread because I found the answer in another thread.
I was diagnosed with panic disorder back in August and was prescribed to take 3 .5mg doses of Xanax daily "as needed for anxiety". The first time I took it after I had a panic attack I fell in love with it's calming effects,plus it seemed to help the tight stomach I got with the anxiety/panic attacks as well.
To make a long story short,in Oct I finally got access to a P.C again and googled Xanax addiction and withdrawl. What I found out scared me into quitting cold turkey. I quit Xanax for a month with only a week of discomfort/cravings.
The point of this post?? nothing really.. other then to introduce myself and to try to steer people clear of the Benzos.
Old 12-02-2008, 06:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

I have read so many bad things about xanax on this board, that I think it's something I would avoid at all costs.

I'm glad you got off the drug.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I still suffer from the anxiety/panic disorder, but I have been learning some drug free techniques to cope with the attacks and avoiding them all together. I do think my Dr prescribed them hastily without doing other tests or referring me to a nuerologist (sp?).
Old 12-02-2008, 07:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome Jrock and thank you for warning others. Its good to have you here and I am glad you educated yourself on the stuff. What kind of techniques are you using to cope with the anxiety? I know that might be of help to people around here too. Thanks again!
Old 12-02-2008, 08:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR~ I'm glad you stopped taking the Xanax. My Brother has been trying to for years, but every time he quits he eventually goes back. I hate those things...

Good Luck and Stay Strong!
Old 12-02-2008, 08:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
It's time to change!

Thanks, Jrock!

How are you doing now? Do you feel like you've "kicked the habit" and you're done with going there with these pills? What are you taking now for panic attacks?

Curious!
Good luck,
Nicki :ghug3
Old 12-02-2008, 08:46 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

To answer a few questions : 1. Basically as far as dealing with the panic/anxiety I have been utilizing information I have researched on the web (breathing techniques,positive thinking,and basically educating myself on the causes of the disorder) I would have to say the #1 aid is just education for me.
2. As far as the "kicking the habit" thing. I did 1 mg on thursday and another mg on friday just to avoid any attacks during T-day weekend,which I realized was a mistake and had some severe panic attacks on saturday(even had one while dreaming),decided to just cope and got rid of the temptation to use anymore (flushed the bottle). I think/hope I'll be fine.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
It's time to change!

Have you talked to a Doctor about all this???
Old 12-02-2008, 09:04 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

For the intial presciption yes,since then? No
I have a trust issue with doctors. They all seem so disinterested and in a rush to get that prescription book out,doctor shoppers would love my dr. To be honest self help has been more helpfull then the doctor. On another note psychotherapy would be a better route then drugs for me because I always feel better after vocalizing what I'm going through in my head.
Old 12-02-2008, 09:13 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
It's time to change!

Okay, so can you request to see another dr?? I agree with psychotherapy, it's a great release verballizing (or attempting to) all the stuff pent up.

Again, what'da 'bout AA/NA? A lot of people with panic attacks besides just their addictions in those rooms!!! You're not totally unique, and I don't mean that sarcastically, just truthfully!