a question about honesty

Old 12-02-2008, 06:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

a question about honesty

friends,

Recently a friend and I had a discussion regarding honesty. I would appreciate some other opinions. If you were a recovering addict and filling out an application for a job would it be pertinent to make the prospective employer aware of your recovery? Exactly how much do you tell about yourself? I don't mean that you have a "tell-all" on your application but how would you explain the gaps in your resume? If you are truly working your program is there a "guideline" more or less on how to handle this situation and still be truthful but not misrepresent yourself in recovery?

My friend said to say nothing. I said to answer all questions honestly when asked. IMHO you can't just sit there and "say nothing."

Anyway, I'd appreciate input regarding staying true to the program.

Dixied
Old 12-02-2008, 06:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

I would not put on an application that I am in recovery for addiction. It is not a question of being honest it is about getting a job and actually the condition of your health is really none of their business. If you had some other disease such as AIDS would you put that on you application?

I think putting that you are in recovery on an application leaves you open to being discriminated against sad but true...
Old 12-02-2008, 07:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I agree do not put it on the application. My daughter tried to be honest with the first application and not even a call back. Then she left her history off said she was taking care of me and finally got a job.
Sometimes it doesn't pay to tell them. Good luck
Old 12-02-2008, 07:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I've never seen a job application that asked if you had an addiction so i dont see how its lying to not put that info on there. why put something on an app that will keep you from getting a job - no one is going to want to hire someone they think is going to be unreliable and we all know they would hold a prejudice. My ex always had trouble keeping a job for other reasons and he just said he was working independantly if it was a large gap. sometimes we can phrase things where we're not lying but not relaying personal information.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I don't have an opinion but wanted to thank you for this topic. We are business owners with partners and 15 years ago a guy walked in applying for a job. When asked about his employment gap, he very honestly said he was a coke addict in recovery but had no convictions. He offered to work a week for free so we could get to know him. My husband and one of the other partners told him that wouldn't be necessary and took a chance on him. He's still with us, no relapses, and a good friend to our daughter now after learning of her addiction.

I'm going to thank my husband and partner for their compassion, 15 years after the fact, and the employee for his honesty and fellowship.

Your post reminded me how rare and extraordinary this is. Thank you.
Old 12-02-2008, 09:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

(((Dixied)))

On an application, I don't say anything about my addiction or recovery. However, I don't have much of a choice, if I ever get to the point where I actually get an interview. I have a criminal record, even though it's a first offender, and it's pretty much impossible to explain why I went from an RN, to a 2 year gap, to waiting tables WITHOUT being honest. Even though I WAS self-employed (with dad) during part of that time, my criminal charge is a drug charge, and most places do background checks, these days.

I'm just hoping that once I get into the interview, my attitude and recovery will overcome the bad stuff. I agree, with everyone, about not putting it on the application, unless it specifically asks, but I've yet to see an application ask that. I won't lie on an application, as I've seen people get really good jobs and then lose them because they were caught in a lie. I believe in being honest on an application, but don't shut doors you don't have to.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 12-02-2008, 09:47 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I wouldn't put anything on the application. If she is asked in a job interview about gaps in employment, she can say that she had an illness. She doesn't have to be specific as to what kind of illness. I've had a similar issue because I missed a lot of sick days on my last job because of depression. When asked about my attendance at my last job, I will just say that I was sick or ill, I don't need to tell them it was depression. Too many people are biased when it comes to mental illness/addiction.
Old 12-02-2008, 10:11 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I've never seen that question on a job application. I think it would be foolish to put that information out there with out being specifically asked. And I don't see how it would be dishonest to not volunteer information that isn't relative to the specific job you are going to do.

A resume/job application is supposed to sell you to your potentional employer. Highlight your experience relative to the job. Highlight what is going to set you apart from other applicants (in a good way). Highlight your skills. Unless being a drug addict is your best selling point or going to interfere in your ability to perform required job duties, what is the point in mentioning it?

ANd if you have gaps on your resume due to your addiction, you can answer truthfully, taking care of personal business. No need to put a big red A on your chest. Especially in this economic environment.

I used to use drugs. Now I don't. How is that relative to anything in my professional life. I'm clean. I show up for work every day. I do a good job. It's nobodies business but my own. - and those I choose to share it with.
Old 12-02-2008, 02:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My daughter did not tell her employer about her addiction. She told them she was in college part of the time and then was with a fiancee that did not want her to work the other part of the time. She has since been somewhat honest with her manager as he has an alcohol problem and used to smoke crack. A lot of drug users work in the restaurant business so she does not see it as a problem at this time. Hugs, Marle
Old 12-02-2008, 04:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I dont know if Im just not getting it or what. I have a drug charge on my record and when I apply for a job do I have to put down that I have a felony? Every application I have ever filled out has asked specific 'Have you ever been convicted of a felony and if so please explain'. Plus I have huge gaps in employment like 10 years so I could be a stay home mom. Plus every single time I get a job I get sick and am hospitalized. No kidding. Anyway, should I put on there that I have a felony? Or do I leave it blank? What do employers look for and how many do background checks? I know a big chain like Walmart and Target do and almost every nursing facility will do a check too. That is the 2 things Im really trained in doing. What college skills I have are only a year secretarial that I didnt finish cause I got really really sick and had surgery, so that is pretty much obsolete. I have to go back to work and have been looking for a job. I just dont know how to fill out an application.

Sorry to jack your thread Dixied.
Old 12-03-2008, 02:03 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

(((GwenMarie)))

Most places now do a background check. I've known of people fired from jobs, in a lot of places because they lied on their applications about felonies. It may just be here in Atlanta, but it's really bad here. Every temp agency I've checked into does a background check....even the day labor ones. I'm STILL trying to get the darned felony off my record.

I would probably leave it blank. That way, at least you have a chance to get an interview before you have to explain it.

The one thing that keeps me going, is back in my old home AA group, I knew a nurse who had 14 felonies, let her nursing license go, and has it back and is doing case management in a nursing home.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy