A little Thanksgiving vent

Old 11-27-2008, 03:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A little Thanksgiving vent

My daughter had to go into work at 8:45 this morning. Because the manager fired two waitresses last week my daughter, who had requested Friday off, is going to have to work. That will make 11 days in a row for her. So she asked her boss if she could please be off by 7:00 tonight so that she could have Thanksgiving dinner with her family. He promised her since she is working tomorrow that she could be out by 7. The other waitresses only worked until the end of the buffet which closed at 5. Their dining room is open until 10:00 for any people who might want to come in. There is one other waitress working. My daughter just called crying because her boss just told her to get the f**k out since she doesn't want to stay. She has already worked almost 10 hours and wants to come to dinner here. She is afraid to leave because he might fire her. What is it with some people who think that they can bully other people. There is one table in the restaurant. How many more are going to come on Thanksgiving night. Sorry for the vent but since she started this job she has not asked for one single day off, she has gone in when she was sick and running a fever and could hardly breathe. She does everything asked of her and what for. So some dumba** manager can abuse her. Marle
Old 11-27-2008, 03:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Wow -- that's just not right.....it's bad enough for a boss to be an *** on any day, but today after 10 hours, that's simply uncalled for. So much for holiday spirit!! Besides that, no one should be subjected to verbal abuse like that. I'd like to say she should just walk out....but I know jobs aren't always easy to come by....this is a tough one. I hope she can get passed this in the interest of her own day -- the boss can be whatever he wants but she still has a loving family to come home to -- and I hope she can be with you soon...
Old 11-27-2008, 03:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sheez, ((Marle)), sounds like MY boss. My only thinking is, if he NEEDS her tomorrow, I would go home. They can get ticked off, but they get over it REALLY quick when they NEED you. I've been told to "get the f--- out of here", too, and one time I ignored my boss and stayed, another time I said "see ya" and left.

My restaurant is also a corporation, and I know they can't fire me without proper procedures except in certain circumstances. Don't know if Megan has the same thing, but we have to be counseled first, then written up 3 times. I'm sorry she's going through this and hope she can come home soon.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 11-27-2008, 03:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Wow, that guy sounds like a power-loving colossal jerk. He probably put his own foot in his mouth by firing those two people (I don't know the circumstances of the firing, just taking a guess, here...), and he wants someone else to cover for his responsibilities.

I don't know your daughter's situation, but that seems like a very negative work environment and she should get out as soon as possible. I hope she can find a more positive place of employment soon.
Old 11-27-2008, 04:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

P.S.

Management saying "F--K" in any capacity can be considered harrassment. I know you know this, but has this kind of verbal abuse happened to her or others before? Does her workplace have an HR department?
Old 11-27-2008, 04:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It used to be a Holiday Inn but went into foreclosure and a family bought it and renamed it. Her boss is usually a pretty decent guy but does have his own problems. He drinks too much and is divorced. I told her that maybe he is just feeling badly because he does not have a family to celebrate with. She did get out just a bit ago and since our turkey is taking longer to cook than my husband anticipated it is really not a problem here. It is just too bad that this is the first year since 2003 that she is clean for Thanksgiving and he had to spoil it for her. Hugs, Marle
Old 11-27-2008, 04:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm glad she's on her way home. She's in the same position I am...grateful to have a job, but wanting to her boss some days. Hope you guys have a great dinner!

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 11-27-2008, 04:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

How fabulous is this. She's sober, employed and her employer needs her.

Maybe you can pre-empt this for Christmas and invitie him over for dinner, on Christmas Eve.
Old 11-27-2008, 05:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

HI marle...I am sry that happened. Even tho she is on her way home. Still..That is unacceptable. Not to mention disrespectful.

But I cant help but see something very amazing in your post.

For me as an addict...I would have flew off the handle if someone talked to me that way. A few years ago he woulda got punched in the mouth. Now..I would just have a few choice words.

To me..your baby showed self control...responsibility..and compassion.
And as well as you for saying he is going through things as well.
I see alot of progress in this post.
Be proud..I am so happy you have your daughter back.

Have a beautiful dinner and enjoy your time together as a family.
Much love and hugs!!
Old 11-27-2008, 06:19 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Ph.D in insanity!!

I'm glad she gets to come home too. I had two recovering addicts this Thanksgiving I was blessed with. My husband and my brother! First time in two years either of them were here. AMEN!
Old 11-27-2008, 06:30 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Very unprofessional of him. I'm glad she is off now! I would think he owes her a huge apology the next time she works.
Old 11-27-2008, 06:49 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I just cannot abide a bully, especially a man in a position of power (employer) who bullies some girl who has worked 11 days in a row and needs her job.

I hope she finds another job where her hard work is appreciated.

A pox on that bully!!! Made me want to gas up the Codie Bus and bring the gang here down there to meet him. Grrrrrr.

I'm glad it worked out in the end and that you and she had a nice dinner together. Giver her a big hug from me and tell her I'm sending "better job" prayers out for her.

Hugs
Old 11-27-2008, 07:55 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Years ago my daughter had a manager like that after she quit we found the web site for them an complained there. Ended up the owner called her offered her the job back an fired the manager. Seems he checked into it an found the others plus the other manager had o complains too..
Old 11-27-2008, 08:23 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

(((Marle)))

One other thing...I would advise Megan to document any time she works extra shifts, whether she is asked to or volunteers, any time he says something to her like he did tonight...can't hurt to have yourself backed up, in black and white.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 11-27-2008, 10:26 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Is his name Ebineezer?
Glad she made it home in time for turkey!
Old 11-28-2008, 05:20 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

(((Marle))) So glad made it home for dinner. I see her recovery shining...Perhaps her light was meant to shine on him! I imagine her responsiblity and maturity looked pretty bright compared to his immature and rude reactions!
Old 11-28-2008, 07:03 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

i am glad she got home. he will pay one way or another for how he treated her. i wish she would find a better job.hugs,
Old 11-28-2008, 07:35 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I wish she could find a better job too, but addiction has taken away that possibility for now. Only she can keep doing the right thing and maybe someday she can get that better job. Right now she needs the money and with the job market the way it is I think a lot of people have to put up with crap in order to pay their bills. My husband put up with crap from the construction company he was working for and when he brought it to their attention that they were shorting him in his paychecks, the boss blew up at him and two days later he was laid off. So I really don't know the answer. I think that there will always be those who hunger for power in this world and we just need to learn to stand up for ourselves in a positive way. Hugs, Marle
Old 11-28-2008, 08:04 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Jujubee Queen

Hiya Marle, and hugs to you and your daughter.....
My son is experiencing the same thing. His last 3 bosses were real nut jobs.

My personal opinion, is....they can treat people who have had previous problems, especially felonies, and, or drug addiction, anyway they want to, because there is no justice for someone who has a record.

Plus some people are just plain nasty.

Hope she gets some well deserved rest.
It hurts us when we know they are TRYING, and all that they get in return is frustration!

Hugs and hugs........
Old 11-29-2008, 05:06 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

I've met very few people who deserved to be a manager. Most do not know how to lead, listen, and treat the employees with respect.

About your husband, marle...can he prove that they shorted him? If so, that definetly sounds like a lawsuit to me. I'm sure it would be a hassle to do it alone, though...

Did he file a complaint with the appropriate state office? I'm not sure which one that would be...haven't done enough searching, yet...