Notices

Hi Everyone

Old 11-27-2008, 07:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ellie

Hi Everyone

Been awhile since I last logged in after my first visit to the site...

My name is Ellie and I'm 23. I have had quite a colorful past and joined this site because I'm uncomfortable with taking the step to attend an NA meeting....I'm just rather anxious about going to a meeting and discussing things with people face-to-face.

It's been hard to recognize myself as a substance abuser but after 6+ years of therapy (for other issues) I've finally let myself acknowledge it and want to deal with it.

In college my downfall was alcohol - I never drank before college and once I got a taste of it it ruined that time of my life. Of course I never considered it a "problem" because everyone drinks in college (well, most anyways - however it's definitely a problem when you get to a point where everytime you drink you drink to the point of blacking out. Which is where I got - every time I would start drinking I would drink to the point of blacking out and waking up not remembering pretty much anything except the first hour or two of the night before.

Since dropping out/failing out of college, the alcohol has actually NOT been a problem. I was hospitalized when I was 16 for an eating disorder, and the amount of weight I gained from drinking I couldn't deal with. It sucks though because my friends go out to bars and get drunk on the weekends but I isolate myself because I know I can't be in that atmosphere.

Ever since, I've dealt with a variety of prescription drugs that I have abused. Vicodin, percocet, valium, and my downfall - ambien.

I have a great job & thrive at it and I have wonderful people in my life. I'm just sooo sick of having this "secret" where I come home after work and abuse these pills. I mainly joined this site so I could at least take a tiny step towards recovery....It would be nice / helpful to meet and talk with people who feel the same and know what it's like to deal with these issues in your life....

So, nice to meet everyone and hope to talk with some of you soon!
Old 11-27-2008, 07:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Hello, Lily. Welcome to SR!
Old 11-27-2008, 08:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello Lily and welcome back to SR. Hope you'll stay and post more often. We're a very happy, dysfunctional (at times) family. Glad you are a part of it.

I don't have the drugs in my past. My issue is with alcohol. It is a secretive, lonely life when we are active in the addiction. I am much happier now that I am sober. I am glad you are taking this step toward recovery. You can definitely do this.
Old 11-27-2008, 08:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Welcome.
Old 11-27-2008, 08:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Hi Lily23! Glad to see you reaching out for help. As far as NA meetings are concerned..I really like the groups I go to. You are not required to say anything at the meetings--it is voluntary. Alot of times I just go and listen to what others share.
Old 11-27-2008, 08:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Old 11-27-2008, 09:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome back...
Old 11-27-2008, 11:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

i think hiding is something that all problematic drug users do. i never tried NA, it never seemed like my kind of thing, but i know it works well for a damn lot of people.
my local drug agency, where i got my substitute meds from, had a weekly support meeting, not 12 step or anything, just a bunch of women, sitting down, drinking coffee, eating cake and chocolate, and the friendships made in tis time, supported me in the "outside of agency hours" kind of thing.
maybe there are other support groups in your area? or if you can find someone else who does NA in your area?
lots of luck to you, and hello!
Old 11-27-2008, 01:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Just starting out...

welcome, lily