Notices

Am I Normal?

Old 11-26-2008, 03:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Hannitized

Question Am I Normal?

Day 225 here~ In these days of sobriety I am having the most difficult time having to live with my far-far-far from perfect self.

Like yesterday. I interrupted a colleague. It didn't strike me until later on in the day how incredibly rude I was. I felt ashamed of myself. It was too late to go see her to apologize.

I called this person at home. The one who answered treated the call like a salesperson call. I'm doubtful any message was passed on. The person didn't take my long and difficult name or my number...didn't know I was a colleague.

I also sent an e-mail to her home e-mail address. Not sure if this is current or checked.

So now I just want to let it go. I'll see her Monday. I've made two attempts and know that's enough. I want to simply let this go but I feel a little bit stuck...a little nagged this morning. It is not a comfortable feeling.

So.....what is this behavior? This wondering about how my actions may be interpreted by others? I used to just go on my merry way...get drunk, play loud music, smoke cigarettes...now I have the ability, and apparent desire, to critique myself. When I do "good" I rarely reflect on it. When I mess up, I tend to fixate a bit. And come on, I interrupted a conversation. On the scale of things, that's not a major offense! And it is one I can work on correcting in the future~

I hope someone will give me some perspective this morning. Please tell me this is a normal thing that alcoholics go through once they become intimate with sobriety for the first time in their adult lives.

Day 225 here~
Old 11-26-2008, 03:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Doesn't the book tell us we are not perfect but rather continuously seeking progress. Or something like that. I think.
Old 11-26-2008, 04:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think you have the right perspective here, Liberty

And come on, I interrupted a conversation. On the scale of things, that's not a major offense! And it is one I can work on correcting in the future~
You know the saying - don't sweat the small stuff?

OK, you might have been a little rude...or they may not have even noticed - either way, it's pretty small stuff, and you apologised.

There's an old Chinese proverb: going beyond is as bad as falling short.

We're addicts - we can tend to behave obsessively.
We all need to watch that, even when the obsession is geared towards perfection.

D
Old 11-26-2008, 04:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

As in so many cases before, my advice is what Dee said! You are doing fine, Liberty!
Old 11-26-2008, 04:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Hannitized

Thank you for that Chinese proverb! A true gem. And I guess that's the word for it-obsessing. I want to nip that in the bud and move on with this great, long weekend with the family.

And thanks timzup for the reference from the book...something important to keep in mind.

I think this fixation may be an indication of pride as well. Like I am so important that my transgression has affected this person so deeply...

And why do I have this need to be "forgiven" by this person who I barely know? That's silly, isn't it? Whose forgiveness do I REALLY need?

Also- In what other bigger, much more serious ways have I screwed up? Maybe this little obsession helps me not to focus on the bigger picture.

I should be grateful that this little incident has helped me consider the bigger picture. I am not in a program. SR is my program and through you I have come to important information.

Thanks~
Old 11-26-2008, 04:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Hannitized

Originally Posted by Jomey View Post
As in so many cases before, my advice is what Dee said! You are doing fine, Liberty!
Thank you!
Old 11-26-2008, 05:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Liberty,

Recovery is a time for learning and growing.

Learn from what happened and then next time, you will behave differently.

That's what it's all about.
Old 11-26-2008, 05:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Hannitized

Originally Posted by 51anna View Post
Hi Liberty,

Recovery is a time for learning and growing.

Learn from what happened and then next time, you will behave differently.

That's what it's all about.

True~ I only wish I hadn't read your sig! DOH!!!
Old 11-26-2008, 06:20 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
It's time to change!

Soooo normal! Someone told me yesterday that we are "perfectionists", albeit alcoholics/addicts! We never reach "perfection" however and therefore we drink/use to acquit those feelings of imperfections. I am hard on myself! I want to be "good"; I want to be seemingly "normal"; I want to "act as if...". Well, it's just not gonna happen for me any time soon because my drinking career has altered my ability to just knowingly know how to do life and do it perfectly and seemingly normally.

My temp sponsor and I have talked about this stuff alot. I've been told through doing the steps and learning about me and getting down to the shi--- nitty will prompt change. I'm told to give "time" -- TIME and not to beat myself up in the process. Easier said than done but "rome wasn't built in a day" either.

Hang in there with me. I have 5 days today. I have scratched, hardly visibly, the surface -- You're putting a dent in it. Good for you. Stay connected. I need you!

Nicki:ghug3
Old 11-26-2008, 07:40 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Hannitized

Originally Posted by nickishine View Post
Soooo normal! Someone told me yesterday that we are "perfectionists", albeit alcoholics/addicts! We never reach "perfection" however and therefore we drink/use to acquit those feelings of imperfections. I am hard on myself! I want to be "good"; I want to be seemingly "normal"; I want to "act as if...". Well, it's just not gonna happen for me any time soon because my drinking career has altered my ability to just knowingly know how to do life and do it perfectly and seemingly normally.

My temp sponsor and I have talked about this stuff alot. I've been told through doing the steps and learning about me and getting down to the shi--- nitty will prompt change. I'm told to give "time" -- TIME and not to beat myself up in the process. Easier said than done but "rome wasn't built in a day" either.

Hang in there with me. I have 5 days today. I have scratched, hardly visibly, the surface -- You're putting a dent in it. Good for you. Stay connected. I need you!

Nicki:ghug3
Thank you for letting me know I am not alone!

Way to go on your five days!

And I need you too!!!
Old 11-26-2008, 07:49 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Sounds like you're on the right track. I think it says a lot that you cared enough to be concerned about it.

You are capturing the essence of recovery. You're on your way!

I do think it's normal. But take it easy on yourself. It's all about a learning process. You are doing your best. Let the rest go.
Old 11-26-2008, 07:56 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Hannitized

Originally Posted by Hope View Post
Sounds like you're on the right track. I think it says a lot that you cared enough to be concerned about it.

You are capturing the essence of recovery. You're on your way!

I do think it's normal. But take it easy on yourself. It's all about a learning process. You are doing your best. Let the rest go.
Thank you.

It is a learning process...learning how to live, how to interact. It's also learning that, as much as I do not like it, not everyone is going to "like" me. What a revelation! I cannot change myself FOR other people. I just have to press on and keep doing the best I can...and pay attention to my manners.
Old 11-26-2008, 08:01 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LibertyorDeath View Post
Thank you.

It is a learning process...learning how to live, how to interact. It's also learning that, as much as I do not like it, not everyone is going to "like" me. What a revelation! I cannot change myself FOR other people. I just have to press on and keep doing the best I can...and pay attention to my manners.
This is true for me as well! I totally know where you're coming from! It took a long time for me to (and I'm still accepting) that no everyone will like me. I found that I am less happy when I'm trying to run around people pleasing. I just do the best I can and if I make mistakes, I apologize and that is up to the person whether they want to accept the apology or not.

Once you have apologized and cleaned up your side of the street, you can feel good that you did the right thing. Then if they don't accept the apology, it's something in them and is their problem.

As long as you are keeping your side of the street clean, you have no reason to feel bad.
Old 11-26-2008, 08:13 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Hannitized

Originally Posted by Hope View Post
This is true for me as well! I totally know where you're coming from! It took a long time for me to (and I'm still accepting) that no everyone will like me. I found that I am less happy when I'm trying to run around people pleasing. I just do the best I can and if I make mistakes, I apologize and that is up to the person whether they want to accept the apology or not.

Once you have apologized and cleaned up your side of the street, you can feel good that you did the right thing. Then if they don't accept the apology, it's something in them and is their problem.

As long as you are keeping your side of the street clean, you have no reason to feel bad.
I'll tell you-I awoke this morning with a brick in my stomach. Once again my friends here have lifted my spirit by letting me know that all that I am experiencing is NORMAL!!! I feel so relieved. I knew this is where I needed to come. My burden is light now.

Thank you for understanding and for responding.