Finally taking action on something

Old 11-25-2008, 05:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Finally taking action on something

xAH screwed up our tax return for 2005, treating his withdrawal of his 401k as normal income (yeah I know I shoulda paid attention back then). So the IRS is of course saying we owe back taxes, to the tune of over $6200. xAH says he never got notified (this was back before the divorce) and he can't pay anyway since he is still unemployed (3+ years now) and that it's my problem. ARRRGGGG!

Anyway, I am finally meeting with a lawyer tomorrow to find out how much it's going to cost me to get out of this altogether or at least lower the amount I end up paying. Apparently there is at least a chance I will get out of it totally under something called the innocent spouse rule (don't ya love the name of that rule?)

So hopefully hiring these folks won't break the bank. If I can get the amount lowered substantially it'll be worth it. And it will sever the final remaining loose end with xAH. What a bonus that will be!
Old 11-25-2008, 06:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well I for one will certainly be saying a prayer, and perhaps dancing a jig or two (behind closed doors, of course) that all turns out well for you and then done is done!
Old 11-25-2008, 06:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

Sending positive thoughts your way.
Old 11-25-2008, 09:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Oh man- those 3 letters on the return portion of an envelope: IRS.

I hope the outcome is good for you. I know that every time I've brought what I thought was an impossible situation to my lawyer it usually turns out to be better or more manageable than I was thinking...I hope your lawyer can find the best way out of this!

Good luck b-52 and Happy Thanksgiving!
Peace-
B.
Old 11-25-2008, 09:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Wow, Barbara. That event rings familiar, except I found out about 3 months after I had let my X return when he left the kids and I for 6 months. He had withdrawn over half of his 401 K while he was gone and apparently had himself some cruises and trips. In Texas, there is no legal separation, so I was liable as well. I found out when I was doing the taxes for the year and that wonderful form they send came in the mail. Talked about surprised!! Anyway, we owed a alot in taxes that year, and your situation reminded me of that event. I'm am hoping this lawyer works some wonders for you. Sorry you are in this predictament
Old 11-26-2008, 01:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You positive thoughts seem to have helped.

It's costing a good hunk to hire these folks but bottom line I should come out of this in a few months owing the IRS nothing. Gotta love that innocent spouse rule! They are going to file an amended return for that year getting his screw ups off my plate and there is even a small possibility the IRS will owe me money. Now wouldn't that be a nice turn around!
Old 11-26-2008, 01:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

:bounce
Old 11-26-2008, 02:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

That is great news!!!
Old 11-26-2008, 02:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It also shouldn't take anywhere near as long as I thought it would. It should be wrapped up by the time its time to file this year's taxes.

The load off my mind is incredible!
Old 11-26-2008, 02:19 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

The relief to be free from burden's is an awesome feeling. Just one more thought to add to this year's Thanksgiving....
Old 11-26-2008, 04:27 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

Woo hoo! That's great news. A load off your mind and a chunk of change in your pocket, too. It doesn't get any better than that. I'm glad you're back, btw.
Old 11-26-2008, 04:40 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FormerDoormat View Post
I'm glad you're back, btw.
Thanks. Life had gotten a bit busy for a while and I needed a break from this place. I found I had little patience with "things." But I'm better now.