Notices

Nervous about 1ST AA meeting

Old 11-23-2008, 04:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Nervous about 1ST AA meeting

Hi!
I just found this site yesterday, my first sober day after yet another week long binge. I had been doing well--not drinking every day---then was laid off from a very good job---my fault, too many sick calls. My binge drinking--alcoholism has caused me trouble over the last 15 years, I never drank until my mid thirties.

I believe AA could help me, but am terrified of walking in that door. I've read alot about what to expect, but am still very frightend and nervous about it. My self-esteem since the job loss has hit rock bottom and I am constantly fighting the urge to drink.

Any advice?

Thanks,
Peggy
Old 11-23-2008, 04:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi PeggySue (love your name). I was nervous too. It's normal for your feelings to be on edge, with all you're going through. I had to go to meetings because it was court ordered, & was worried to death for no reason. I'm shy anyway, and that didn't help. Once I realized I could just sit there and listen, I was OK. As you've probably already heard, if you aren't comfortable or happy with the meeting you attend, try a different one. I think it'll go just fine, it sounds like you're determined to make a better life for yourself. I'm glad you found SR - these people have saved my life. Let us know how it goes.
Old 11-23-2008, 05:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I don't know if you have read this link, it is the best I have ever seen on your first AA meeting:

Your First AA Meeting

I would say it is very normal to be scared, however the link above might help. A womens only meeting might help as well.

We are practically neighbors - I am in Mobile, AL - so if you ever come over this way PM me and I can introduce you to some women with good sobriety.

Good luck and keep posting.
Old 11-23-2008, 05:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you, I appreciate the information. I did read the article about the first meeting and it was helpful. There is a women only meeting on wednesday and I think I would be the most comfortable at that one, though I really should go before then. I may get up the nerve to go tomorrow.

Thank you again,
Peggy
Old 11-23-2008, 05:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congratulations on taking the first step. I attend a lot of meetings every week and I can assure you that you are the most important person in any AA meeting. I would advise you to arrive early, 15 min. There should be someone waiting for you. At the meetings I attend I arrive one hour early and so do others. We are waiting for someone like you to greet and make you feel at ease and welcomed. Meeting forums vary so have a seat and listen. Since I attend the same meetings frequently I can spot the new comer and will introduce myself and offer coffee. I hope someone does the same for you. When listening to others try to hear the similarities not the differences.
Everyone is scared in the beginning, that is why we try to make it a little less stressful for the newcomer. It is how I was treated in the beginning and now I try to pass it on.
Best wishes in your new jouney to a sober life. Keep posting, I look forward to reading about your first meeting! xoxo
Old 11-23-2008, 05:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey Peggysue -- Glad you're here. I was really nervous to go to my first meeting too. I had to go all alone, and I didn't know anybody there. But I was surprised! Everyone was so nice and supportive. I couldn't wait to go back.

It's a good idea to try several different meetings. Every meeting group has a different atmosphere.

AA is one of those places where the expression rings true for me: "Enter as strangers, leave as friends."

I hope you find a meeting you like!
Old 11-23-2008, 05:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi PeggySue,

Welcome!

I'm glad you are seeking recovery.
Old 11-23-2008, 06:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

welcome peggy...

hey, the best advise i can suggest on going to a meeting...

dont expect anything, just go...

and let it flow...

good wishes peggy
Old 11-23-2008, 06:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

You could ask your best friend to go with you.

Good to see you here with us...
Welcome!
Old 11-23-2008, 06:55 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Breathing

HI PeggySue, I'm new here as well. My 1st meeting in 18 years was last 11 days ago, and I was scared too. Even though I had a fairly good idea of what to expect. There was no need. If I wanted to just sit quietly and listen that was cool, if I wanted to share that was even cooler.

They want you there.

I'm pretty sure you'll be pleasantly surprised.
Old 11-23-2008, 09:04 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Peggy Sue, Welcome to SR. this is a great place to hang out, and have a whole lotta support at the same time. AA meeting, I was scared the first time..I was not sure what to expect, do I have to talk..what would I say, but was not like that at all , ,,,If you want to introduce yourself you can...but you do not have to do anything...just absorb what you are hearing..you will be amazed how you can connect with most of the people there..we all have the same thing in common..alcoholism. I have been going every day, 1 to 2 times for awhile now..it is a partof my daily routine..and I miss it when I am not there....I feel connected, understood, and not alone, and you will not find people anymore caring and understanding then there..So get thru the first one..and the rest will get easier...
Old 11-23-2008, 10:52 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome!