Notices

As I Approach Detox and Treatment

Old 11-23-2008, 03:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

As I Approach Detox and Treatment

Hi Friends:

I jumped in yesterday for the first time, and was grateful for the support and feedback I received. I've decided I will enter in-residence treatment for alcoho (DOC) and narcos (which I've been increasingly prescribed over the past 4 years--was taking a total of 140 mg. of oxycodone/daily).

As I stated yesterday, I'm wayyyy more fearful of the oxy withdrawal than the alcohol (even though the later would be more likely to kill me if I weren't in a hospital detox room). I have to work with my professional realities, which means that I will not be checking in until around December 14, but I'm going to do everything possible to arrange to do so even earlier. (At that time I will have at least 30 days to devote.)

I have started (today) to wean myself back on my oxy intake. My feeling is that it could only make detox that much better (so to speak). I am confident that I should be able to cut my usage (if I remain serious, focused, and continue to read these threads and gather all the information I can from what to expect) in half before I check in (roughtly 70-80 mg./day. I'm hoping to do the same with alcohol.

Based on information I've picked up from reading through a number of posts, I've also begun taking a daily regimen of: a multi-vitamin, super B-complex, zinc, and magnesium.

Since I have two and a half weeks until I check-in, I'm wondering what advice you could share with me about other things I should be doing.

BTW: I never heard of suboxone until yesterday. I'm wondering if they use it in detox. Also, I recall at one point my pain doctor having mentioned putting me on methadone. From what I've read in posts the past 24 hours about getting off that, I'm very grateful I never went on it.

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-23-2008, 04:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and I'm glad you've made the decision to go to detox.

I'm sure that cutting back on pills and alcohol will help. Have you talked to your dr about stopping drinking and drugs? The best advice would come from him as far as cutting back on the pills.

It sounds like you're ready to change your life and I hope you keep reading and posting.
Old 11-23-2008, 04:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

Don't be afraid to get well. No room now for fear and doubt.
Making the decision to go inpatient was the best thing you can do for yourself.
Way to go.
the longer you stay inpatient the better your chances...
Keep moving in the right direction
Old 11-23-2008, 04:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm glad you've made the decision to enter rehab. I don't have any personal experience with this, but I know my stepsister was addicted to klonopin, unable to enter rehab for almost 2 weeks, and her dr. worked out a taper program for her. If possible, I would talk to your dr. about this, especially with the alcohol, because abrupt withdrawal can be fatal.

From what I've learned here, the oxy withdrawal is like having a bad case of the flue. There are several posts on opiate withdrawals on the substance abuse forum, but I know it's recommended to drink plenty of fluids, especially things like gatorade or powerade, ibuprofen and hot baths for muscle aches, and immodium for diarrhea.

Sticking around here is always a good idea..you'll get a lot of support, but you may also want to check out AA or NA meetings, if you haven't already.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 11-23-2008, 05:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good for you Trout...good luck in your recovery...you are totally doing the right thing! I too would speak to a dr about tapering yourself off the meds/alcohol, I don't have too much experience with the meds part but know that there is the possibility of severe reactions, would just feel better if I knew you had someone keeping an eye on things for you until you enter rehab. You are definitely taking the steps to make yourself better & I applaud you!
In Peace & Love,
Lisa
Old 11-23-2008, 06:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Since I have two and a half weeks until I check-in, I'm wondering what advice you could share with me about other things I should be doing.
Why not check out local recovery meetings?

Good to see you again...
Old 11-23-2008, 09:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Glad you made the decision to go to rehab. I did outpatient, inpatient is great..28 days of therapy, and sober the whole time as there is no way to go off the wagon...I would ck with doctor about cutting back on the meds..and alcohol....And even though you are going to rehab in two weeks..you can get a boost on your sobriety by posting here..and going to AA/NA meetings...Goodluck and keep us up to date on how you are doing..