Finding an Al Anon Sponsor

Old 11-23-2008, 07:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Finding an Al Anon Sponsor

I've been attending different Al Anon meetings for a while now and have found one that I feel is the right group/meeting for me to start attending on a regular basis. I've been avoiding finding a sponsor and feel that it is time for me to take that step now. I'm a little confused on how I go about identifying and asking someone to be my sponsor? I was going to ask at the meeting that I attended the other night, but there were so many people at the meeting that I wasn't sure who I needed to speak with. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 11-23-2008, 09:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey there CN

The way I do it is I make a list of six people who seem to be living the kind of life I wish I had. Then I ask each and every one of them out for cofee and ask them if they would explain how this program works in _their_ life. That narrows the list down to a few, and I just keep asking them out to coffee until one of them becomes a friend.

That friend is the one I ask to be my sponsor. I also get a couple more friends in the process, and I keep in touch with them too.

I know it sounds simple, but it works really well for me.

Mike
Old 11-23-2008, 11:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I asked who I thought I wanted to be my sponsor out to lunch and after much chat about the program, asked her and she said yes.

My sponsees asked me in different ways, but all involved connecting, whether over coffee or through shares.

The suggestion I heard was look for someone who has what you want. Also, I learned that it's ok to change sponsors, as I did. My first was a good choice at the beginning, but over time I realized we had different approaches to the program.

Good luck!