Language of Letting Go - Nov. 22 - Gratitude asnd Acceptance

Old 11-22-2008, 03:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Language of Letting Go - Nov. 22 - Gratitude asnd Acceptance

You are reading from the book The Language of Letting Go

The Magic of Gratitude and Acceptance

Gratitude and acceptance are two magic tricks available to us in recovery. No matter who we are, where we are, or what we have, gratitude and acceptance work.

We may eventually become so happy that we realize our present circumstances are good. Or we master our present circumstances and then move forward into the next set of circumstances.

If we become stuck, miserable, feeling trapped and hopeless, try gratitude and acceptance. If we have tried unsuccessfully to alter our present circumstances and have begun to feel like we're beating our head against a brick wall, try gratitude and acceptance.

If we feel like all is dark and the night will never end, try gratitude and acceptance.

If we feel scared and uncertain, try gratitude and acceptance.

If we've tried everything else and nothing seems to work, try gratitude and acceptance.

If we've been fighting something, try gratitude and acceptance.

When all else fails, go back to the basics.

Gratitude and acceptance work.

Today, God, help me let go of my resistance. Help me know the pain of a circumstance will stop hurting so much if I accept it. I will practice the basics of gratitude and acceptance in my life, and for all my present circumstances.

From The Language of Letting Go by Melody Beattie ©1990, Hazelden Foundation.
Old 11-22-2008, 03:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

A phrase that I try to remember is "If I can't change my circumstance, then let me change my attitude".

Remembering all the good things in my life, helps me keep my little problems in perspective.

And hindsight tells me that even the bigger obstacles that I have faced have led me to a better place every singe time.

Sometimes when I don't know where life is taking me, I travel in blind faith that I am being led to something special and that allows me to change my fear of the unknown to anticipation of something wonderful...even thought I don't know what it will be. And gratitude helps me appreciate all that has come my way in the past.

I have often said that I wouldn't wish my life on my worst enemy...and yet I would not exchange even the darkest day with anyone. Today I accept all that life has handed me and I am grateful for the beauty that I now see in every single day.

Hugs
Old 11-22-2008, 03:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Perfect. This message keeps showing up for me, in different words but the same idea - Obviously my HP is trying to tell me something!
Old 11-22-2008, 07:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
krhea75

Thanks for the reminder Ann. Today I am thankful for my oldest son coming over for breakfast with me, for a warm blanket and hazelnut cream coffee, for my students who constantly amaze me and support me, for a warm, comfortable home, for my boyfriend who loves me, wow..I'm starting to feel spoiled a bit as I write this! I am also thankful for my son's jail time, hoping that this will be the bottom that he needs to take his life and turn it around. Most of all, I'm thankful for the people on this site who take so much time on this site to respond to hurting souls over and over again. You all have a beautiful influence on the life of others.
krhea
Old 11-22-2008, 12:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you Ann. Acceptance of who my AH is and who I wanted him to be is so difficult for me. I've had people very close pass away and acceptance of their deaths, especially my Mother's was such a struggle for me but I know it's the first step in the healing process. I keep this in the forefront of my mind and prayers daily.