legal aid

Old 11-21-2008, 09:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

legal aid

i remember some of you on here are in florida so i was wondering if you could tell me how legal aid works and how to get started, as ive decided to go ahead and file for divorce and i would like to get it started at soon as possible but ive never dealt with legal aid so i have no clue as to where to get started???
Old 11-21-2008, 09:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am not from Florida but worked for legal aid for 18 years in Canada. It's probably similar. You either make an appointment or drop in to one of the office, depending on how they operate. They interview you regarding the type of problem, your finances, etc. and determine if you qualify for legal aid. Every State or Province has their own guidelines for who qualifies. Then if you qualify, they get you a lawyer, who has decided to accept legal aid cases, meaning he/she gets paid a bit less than a lawyer would charge if you walked in off the street (however, legal aid takes care of their fees). Then you just meet with them and discuss what you need/want to happen in your situation.

Usually they are listed on-line or in the telephone directory under government listings. Hope that helps.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

http://www.floridabar.org/tfb/TFBCon...56B61000928DC/

Try this website, if you have access to a computer. It lists legal aid for Florida.
Old 11-21-2008, 11:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Ph.D in insanity!!

They are pretty fast. I want to warn you though. Do not do this and change your mind because you can only have one try at it. You'll back out and then you are screwed because you can not afford an attorney. It's hard as heck to file papers for yourself. If they do find an attorney be prompt and do what you are told. Make sure you are positive!
Old 11-21-2008, 02:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Just call them up. They will answer your questions and set an appointment if they are able to help you.
Old 11-21-2008, 02:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stubborn1 View Post
It's hard as heck to file papers for yourself.
Depending on the state and the circumstances, it can be very easy to do a divorce without an attorney. There are also a number of websites that help with completing the necessary forms and can walk you thru the process.
Old 11-21-2008, 06:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

im not gonna change my mind, im tired of dealing with him, now since his other girlfriend broke up with him he is right with another one, he called me sober saying he was going to rehab and wanted me and the baby and i went over there and the new girl was there and shes buying him alcohol again and food so now hes glued to her and even though when he was sober for those few moments and told me he wanted me and the baby, he is now saying he never said that, hes only glued to this one cause shes buying him everything and driving him around and he knows i have no money, i wasnt bothering him , i wasnt answering his calls, if he wanted to be with her then just be with her, why call me, its like he enjoys hurtin me, im just tired of him and want the divorce over with, i mean he purposely got me to come over there just to hurt me, thats so low, what kind of person purposely plays a joke on someone like that?

also i got a letter and in order to keep my food stamps and medicaid i have to go after child support, i was under the impression that i didnt have to do that to keep my food stamps and medicaid and i tried to be nice even after what he did and let him know i had to go after child support and even though he dont have a job ill get his income tax check , i just wanted him to be aware and know that im not doing it to be mean or anything, and hes cruel as hell to me , saying he never said he wanted to be with me, im like what? you called me telling me that so why are you lying now? i just will never understand him but im tired of his games, i really dont get why he called me, why not just be with this girl and leave me alone, i dont get my kicks from hurting people or using people and thats all hes doing with this girl but i dont feel sorry for her one dang bit

so basically legal aid pays for everything cause i have absolutely no money what so ever?? how long does it take for everything to come through, we have no material stuff together, havent lived together since april , the only thing we have between us is the baby, and i dont know where he will be since he got evicted from his apartment but its the address im gonna use anyway cause i think hes goin to some kind of rehab/homeless shelter palce, its all such a headache i would rather it just all be over with, i would have never gotten married if i knew how much of a hassle and how cruel he would turn out to be, also one more question does legal aid handle the child custody thing also?
Old 11-21-2008, 07:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Ph.D in insanity!!

Originally Posted by Barbara52 View Post
Depending on the state and the circumstances, it can be very easy to do a divorce without an attorney. There are also a number of websites that help with completing the necessary forms and can walk you thru the process.
ROFL....ok if you say so.
Old 11-21-2008, 08:28 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stubborn1 View Post
ROFL....ok if you say so.
It's pretty much what I did. So as funny as you think the idea is, yeah, it can be easy.
Old 11-21-2008, 08:54 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Ph.D in insanity!!

Originally Posted by Barbara52 View Post
It's pretty much what I did. So as funny as you think the idea is, yeah, it can be easy.
Maybe in Virginia.