Relapse

Old 11-19-2008, 02:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Curled up in a good book...

Relapse

I've been reading Melody Beattie's Beyond Codependency. I'm going to type out part of page 48 - this really spoke to me this morning! (note, this is about relapse in codie terms not alcoholic ones)

Relapse happens to many of us. Relapse happens to people who have been recovering for 10 months or 10 years. It happens not because we're deficient or lackadaisical. Relapse happens because its a normal part of the recovery process.
In fact it's so normal I'm not going to call it relapse. I'm going to call it 'recycling'.
Relapse, according to the New World Dictionary, means to slip or fall back into a former condition after improvement or
seeming improvement. Recycle means to recover; or to pass through a cycle or part of a circle again for checking or treating.
Recycling is more than a normal part of recovery. Sometimes it's a necessary part.

I've been busy beating myself up for falling back a little into codie thought patterns when I can look at them as just part of the process. At least I'm recognising them for what they are and can work on finding out what triggers them.

Progress not perfection just made a whole lot more sense to me!
Old 11-19-2008, 05:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ago

I love that, thank you

/wanders away to have a "recycle" at somebody because the "thank you button" is missing
Old 11-19-2008, 08:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The technical term for it is "regression in service of the ego." I like that little tidbit of info, but Melody makes me understand it LOL!

I also like that today I recognize when it's happening and look for the lessons in it. I love life!
Old 11-19-2008, 09:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Recovering Codependant

Thanks for this reminder Denny! Yet again I am there! More lessons to learn and grow from yipee!

Lily xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Old 11-19-2008, 03:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yup, progress not perfection are important words to remember.