Notices

Fiance has been drinking tonight

Old 11-18-2008, 09:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Raised from the Dead

Fiance has been drinking tonight

Hello everyone. I used to come here all the time right when I moved out of my recovery house. I have remained sober and life has gotten very full (hence me not coming here much anymore). I ended up meeting a girl in recovery and we got engaged in June. Four months ago she relapsed and it has been a really rocky road since then. On atleast two other occasions that I know of, she appeared to have been drunk. Tonight, her friend texted me saying she was "sober" because she refused to take a shot and had only been drinking beer. Well, that was the last straw for me. Fortunately after her first relapse I had gotten a studio apartment just for this scenario.

The past 4 months have been HELL. I never quite understood just how terrible it was to live with an alcoholic. I do not trust a word she says. I dont see how people live with active alcoholics for extended periods. I could only bare it for 4 months before I finally broke. thank God i am sober and i no longer put people through what ive been going through recently. Sorry for the rant, its just too much to bear.
Old 11-18-2008, 09:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

chicago,
Welcome back!
So let's talk about YOU! How long have you been sober? What are you doing to stay so healthy and strong that you have made the right decisions for you today? I want to hear more about your recovery!

I am sorry about your friend, but some of us have to get beat up a little bit more, eh?
Old 11-18-2008, 09:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Raised from the Dead

well im coming up on 3 years now (1-29-06). a huge part of my program is my sponsee. he's 24 years old and will have a year on Jan 5th. im really proud of his progress. i make meetings everyday. pray quite a bit. talk to other recovering alcoholics daily. and work steps with my sponsor (although how well is up for debate). im not perfect, ive made ALOT of mistakes in sobriety and in this relationship, but one thing ive done right is not pick up.

how about you?
Old 11-18-2008, 10:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

That is wonderful! That sounds like exactly what I am being taught to do as well. I have a little over six months (I went out on a 10 year long relapse). I did some damage unfortunately. I am working on that today.

The best news? I came in willing, absolutely willing, to do anything to get and stay sober. I take a lot of suggestions! I read, I pray, I try to turn it over as often as I need to (sometimes once an hour). I got a sponsor on Day 8 and I use her. I am working my recovery on a daily basis, because I am terrified not to!

Tonight I went on my first 12 step call and I am feeling incredibly grateful tonight. Sobriety is good.

It sounds like it is good for you too, and about to get a whole lot better! I can't imagine how hard that would be to watch someone you love go through. I am sorry. I think it would be torture for me if my husband was an alcoholic, it would be like looking in the mirror, ugh.

So, are you going to stick around a bit and share some of your experience, strength and hope?
Old 11-19-2008, 03:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Chicago

It's so good to see you again. I'm sorry that your relationship has ended; I remember how excited you were when you became engaged.

I'm very glad that you're still working hard at your own recovery, and to see you sponsoring others.

I hope you stay with us.

Ro
Old 11-19-2008, 05:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Chicago - stay on track, life hands us curves, use what you've learned to deal with it.
Old 11-19-2008, 07:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi chi....I just wanted to congratulate you on your sobriety and I admire your strength. Welcome back.