Notices

its becoming too much

Old 11-17-2008, 10:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy its becoming too much

Hi everybody!

Well, I'm 23 and have probs with a bit of everything. If its not drinking its drugs if its not drugs its cutting and if its prescription meds. I know I use alcohol and drugs to forget, but I want to enjoy things without them... seems impossible...
My fiance is a recovering alcoholic and drug addict as well, he lost his job by showing up drunk to work, and usually goes a month sober before crashing and burning again. It hurts so much when this happens... but I try to support him... He has to go to court tomorrow for his 2 DUI's... It scares me so much that he drinks and drives, not only for him, but for all the innocent people on the road.
I see myself going in a circle, moving my addictions from 1 thing to another... and I see my life spiraling out of control. I go to meetings, but I'm so scared of big groups (causes panic attacks) that I have trouble focusing.
I'm stuck here and I am so disappointed in myself because not only do I have a problem, but I can't seem to help myself. I just feel like I'm not in control of my life anymore.... Hopefully I will get over my fear in time and will stop rolodexing my addictions... only 4 days sober so far and cravings are really bothering me argh!!
Old 11-17-2008, 10:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

Welcome Tennisgal!
Are 4 days sober off of everything? Maybe you are detoxing? Have you talked to a doctor? Just don't want you to have a harder time then you have to.
Take it easy and keep posting!
Old 11-18-2008, 01:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! You have something under control if you made it here on your own. You CAN control your life....just have to crawl before you learn to walk....walk before you learn to run.

Learn how to control a minute....then an hour...then a day, week, month. You would be surprised how time starts to pass by without using anything to make it go by in a haze. Stay focused on your goal and you can make it! Keep coming here and don't be afraid to ask questions.....vent....whatever you need to stop.
Old 11-18-2008, 05:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Welcome to SR Tennisgal, give it all time, recovery takes time and time takes time. I did not get into the condition I was in over night and it took me over a month before I actually started to even feel normal, and then 6 months later I came to realize that was not really normal, it was just a whole lot better then what I had been.

Keep going to meetings and listen for things you can relate to. Ask some one to be your temporary sponsor.
Old 11-18-2008, 05:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

the time thang as mentioned...

welcome tenn
Old 11-18-2008, 06:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Welcome, congrats on the 4 days.

Never forget WHY you want to quit using.

You can't help someone else with their problems if you are mired in your own problems.

Get clean & sober, then carry the message.
Old 11-18-2008, 06:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

You can make the changes in your life that you want and live and sober and clean life. Take a look around the boards and read and learn.
Old 11-18-2008, 06:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
~*~ Member ~*~

It helps me to remember that I only have to take it one second at a time - and that each hurdle (big or small) that I get through sober will just make me stronger. I've been sober for five years now and still feeling amazed that something I thought I could never accomplish has really happened - sobriety. Just keep doing the next right thing and remember it will get better.
Old 11-25-2008, 02:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you everybody for the encouraging words... I appreciate it!!! I had 1 setback, but am now back on track... trying to live bit by bit as ya'll advised! Thnx again...