# 1 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Language of Letting Go - Nov. 17 - Grief and Action

You are reading from the book The Language of Letting Go

Grief and Action

Trust in God and do something.
--Mary Lyon

It's important to let ourselves grieve as a passage between yesterday and tomorrow. But we do not have to be controlled unduly by our grief, or our pain.

There are times when we have grieved, surrendered to the heaviness, tiredness, and weariness of a circumstance long enough. It becomes time to break out. It comes time to take action.

We will know when it's time to break the routine of grieving. There will be signs within and around us. We will become tired of the heaviness. An idea will occur; an opportunity will present itself. We may think: No. Too much effort... Do it anyway. Try something. Reach out. Stretch. Do something unusual, something different, and something special.

A new activity may help trigger the transformation process. Stay up two hours later than usual! Make an appointment to do something for yourself that is different from what you usually do. Visit someone you haven't seen in years. Do something to encourage and help the new energy coming your way.

We may not feel like breaking out of grief. It may feel safer, easier, to remain in our cocoon. Begin pushing out anyway.

Test the walls of your cocoon. Push. Push a little harder. It may be time to emerge.

Today, I will trust God and the process, but I will also take action to help myself feel better.

From The Language of Letting Go by Melody Beattie ©1990, Hazelden Foundation.
Old 11-17-2008, 02:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Some of my best growth spurts were initiated by grief or pain. When I gave up trying to do it "my" way, when I accepted that the way I was living was not healthy or wise...that's when I could surrender and give it to God and let myself be led.

That's how I found myself at my first meeting. That's how I found a better path and a way to find beauty in every day.

When we do our part, God will do the rest.

Hugs
Old 11-17-2008, 05:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you Ann. Knew I came back to this group for a reason. Today's message was one of the reasons. I needed to read that today. And funny, today I am going out to buy all the make-up I quit wearing when I thought I meant nothing to anyone. Today is about ME.
Old 11-17-2008, 06:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
down the rabbit hole

Thanks for posting... really needed this one today. I've been dealing with grief over a relationship that ended 8 months ago, yet for some reason the past week it's hit me like a ton of bricks. I think it's because my period of grief is ending - yet by ending it, I know that means the relationship is truly over. At least when I was mourning it - it was like a connection still existed. By ending the grief, I am acknowledging the true ending of the relationship. I never knew it would be this hard...
Old 11-17-2008, 06:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
rozied

Keep looking forward, the best is yet to be.
Old 11-17-2008, 07:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks Ann, yes it is such a relief when we can give it over to God, rather than trying to do everything our way...but I seem to have to do it over and over, but at least I know now I have a choice...everyday...