Notices

i need help getting sober

Old 11-16-2008, 02:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

i need help getting sober

1st, thanks for reading my thread.

i just dont know what to do anymore. i need something or someone to help me quit drinking. i drink (at least) 1ltr of vodka or a 12pk of high alcohol beer almost every night.

i am 29 yo. im still in good health but it is declining. i am married and have 2 daughters. i am the sole supporter of a household of 4. i have a full time job, a part time job, and im going to college. i dont have any kind of insurance and have been denide medicaid.

i simply CANNOT take time off from my life to go to a rehab because im the only possible bread winner in the house and i just cant afford it.
Old 11-16-2008, 02:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

meds for detox?

is it possible for me to go to a 'doc-in-a-box' to get something prescribed to me to ease my problem? im not talking about switching addictions. i just want something to help me through the first few days... sleeplesness, shakes, sweats, depression, anger, ya know...the usual symptoms.

side note: i did try AA again but i just didnt get anything from it...was still drinking after meetings. i DO plan on joining a group but i just cant get through the first few days.
Old 11-16-2008, 03:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

If you can't go to detox, you should at least go to the doctor for some medical assistance. As you seem to know, it usually takes from 3 - 5 days to detox. I don't know of any easy way to get off the alcohol other than to quit drinking. As long as you continue drinking, you continue to be physically addicted.

Going to AA meetings is an excellent idea...drinking after the meetings, not so much. And, you're not going to get much out of the meetings, if you're still preoccupied with thinking about drinking. While you're getting through the first few days, get to meetings. At least that's an hour or two a day you won't be drinking.

You can get all the emotional support in the world...no one but you can follow through on your decision to quit. It is possible...not easy...but, possible.

Old 11-16-2008, 03:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi I went to detox. that was not big deal...if you can go 3 days, you pretty much have it under control. I also did outpaitent rehab. you learn alot and get tested every morning..which didn't mean much as I can drink a 1/5 and be clean 12 hours later..been there done that...this site and AA is the way to stop.....I think you have to have the desire to stop drinking in order for it to work. AA is full of supportive people, you get a sponser work the steps...that is how you stop.. I am on day 13 after a few one night relapses...this time I am gonna make it work ...I pretty much hit rock bottom..sometimes we need to do that first....I wish you alot of luck. keep reading post and posting..we are here to encourage and listen to your feelings.....THink again about AA..it is a life saver for me.
Old 11-16-2008, 03:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi,

I think you will find that there are people here who understand your situation. There is lots of information here to read and learn and about recovery. Know that you can do this. Stay sober today and begin to change your life.

It really is a good idea to talk to your dr before detoxing. It can be dangerous.

I'm glad you found us and you will find lots of support here. I'm am glad that you found us.
Old 11-16-2008, 06:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
mle-sober

Well, I think you are actually already on your way. For me, really getting it through my head that I could not stop on my own and that I needed help - that was the beginning of the end. You seem to have realized that already.

Also, I went to AA when I was 21 and felt absolutely nothing. Kept drinking for another 19 years. When I was ready to quit (really ready and desperate actually) AA became a rock for me. My sponsor has helped me so much I cannot tell you.

And coming here has been really pivital also.

It sounds like you lead a very busy and stressful life. I worry when I read that you don't have time to detox properly and take care of your recovery. At the beginning, I had to put my recovery above everything. That meant some things dropped that I previously would have been horrified to think of dropping them. I thought I was holding up the world. And in some sense I was because I was holding up my world. But I was also drinking excessively. And I needed to stop. And in order to do that, I had to put down the world and pick up my sobriety. I just hope you make room in your life for your own recovery. I understand it can seem impossible. But truly, it is possible.

Welcome to SR and I'm glad you're here.
Old 11-16-2008, 07:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Adjusting my Sails

Wow! How do you hold down 2 jobs, go to school and find time to drink?

Tell your doctor your an alcoholic and you need help to stop drinking and they will help you detox. It's good you found SR and you have been to AA meetings. I come here almost every day and hit meetings when I can and it has played an important part of my early sobriety.

Keep in mind if you can't stop drinking you are going to have to cut back on other activities and spend more time on recovery. I had to cut way back before I was able to finally find good sobriety.

Look forward to seeing you around and welcome.
Old 11-16-2008, 07:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to SR

If you quit drinking you won't need to buy alcohol
thus saving money your spending now
You might not need to work so hard..
I was really surpized when I added up my weekly
booze bill....

I too find AA immensley helpful for support and growth.

Blessings to you and your family
Old 11-16-2008, 08:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
where the light is

Great idea to talk to your doctor. You may also need other people to help you, especially in early sobriety. Are there any other family members that can provide short term financial support? Emotional support? There are people at your AA meetings who will help you. You don't have to do this alone.

It takes hard work and patience but it is so worth it. You have your family, your job, and your education. You can have a good, sober life.

I have been sober for 11 months and I am a member of AA. When I first quit drinking, I would never have believed that life could be this good. The key was accepting that I am an alcoholic and reaching out for help.
Old 11-18-2008, 10:03 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

thanks guys. i really value the info in your posts!

i went to the doc yesterday, gave him my spiel and he gave me prescriptions for a sleep med and 2 for anxiety. the sleep med SUCKED -could barely get up this morning- but the anxiety meds did work. i didnt have a drink last night and i feel a lot better this morning, no shakes or anything (just a little of the sweats).

i know that these meds can replace my DOC but i want to mearly use them as a buffer between me and the alcohol withdrawls.

iv decided to drop 2 of my classes eventhough im going to recieve an "F" but it is better than the stress of trying to keep on top of all the things i have to do.

please keep posting you r thoughts and comments. thanks!
Old 11-18-2008, 10:12 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome lozier and congratulations on your decision to come to this forum and reach out. I'm glad you went to your Doctor. Withdrawal is risky business. It is a huge step to do something to take care of yourself.
Looking forward to getting to know you better. Keep reading and keep posting. Awesome support around here. Take care.
Old 11-18-2008, 07:39 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Just starting out...

I'm glad you went to the dr. too. The detox is nothing to mess with. Keep posting, keep letting us know how you are doing. You have us as a support system. You can do this!
Old 11-19-2008, 12:14 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

I went back to taking college courses after my alcoholic husband and I separated. He quit and went to AA. I continued drinking, working two jobs, and taking courses...really majoring in Student Pub!

After two years on the merry-go-round, I finally hit bottom. I withdrew from the courses before I flunked out. After detox and six years of AA, I went back to college. It took six more years of two jobs and two courses a semester to get a two-year degree...but with high honors...all the while attending AA meetings whenever possible. One of the proudest days of my life was to have my mother, daughter, and grand daughter in the audience at my graduation.

You'll be amazed at what you can accomplish in recovery.
Old 11-19-2008, 01:44 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

Originally Posted by deerwalk View Post
Jersey, that is truly inspiring
Thanks...sometimes I have to pinch myself.

loizier...it's the third day since you started this thread. How are you doing now? Please, keep us up-dated.
Old 11-19-2008, 02:16 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by loizier View Post
the anxiety meds did work. i didnt have a drink last night and i feel a lot better this morning, no shakes or anything (just a little of the sweats).
Withdrawls seldom last more than 3 days so unless your Doctor recommends otherwise get off the anxiety meds ASAP.

The first few weeks will be the roughest if you have a mental obsession. Find something new to keep you busy. AA meetings are a good source for this. Remember:

Abstinence is not drinking and feeling bad about it.

Recovery is not drinking and feeling good about it.
Old 11-19-2008, 02:28 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on your smart decision to stop drinking. It's not easy but is very much worth it. My first three or four days of withdrawal were the worst. After the first week it eased up a bit, but I didn't start feeling 'normal' til after a month of sobriety. I've got over four months now and am feeling better than I ever did while drinking, but still bouncing around with my emotions. It does pass so I take it one minute at a time if I have to.

YOu can do this!:ghug3
Old 11-19-2008, 02:38 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by loizier View Post
is it possible for me to go to a 'doc-in-a-box' to get something prescribed to me to ease my problem? im not talking about switching addictions. i just want something to help me through the first few days... sleeplesness, shakes, sweats, depression, anger, ya know...the usual symptoms.

side note: i did try AA again but i just didnt get anything from it...was still drinking after meetings. i DO plan on joining a group but i just cant get through the first few days.
In a nutshell, if your m.d. can give you just a weeks worth of valium. I'm an R.N ....Valium stay in your system for up to 12 hours.
PLEASE, PLEASE DONT KEEP DRINKING. i HAVE 5 CHILDREN BUT THE COURTS TOOK THEM AWAY A YEAR AGO. tHEY LIVE WITH MY HUSBAND WHO JUST GOT FED UP WATCHING ME KILL MYSELF. dO IT NOW. YOU CAN DO IT! Lori
Old 11-20-2008, 11:32 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

wow.

i spent about 15 minutes writing a heartfelt post when the board wouldnt let me post it and wanted me to register to become a member.

so screw it.

bye.
Old 11-20-2008, 11:44 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

You're detoxing.

"The Recovery Book" has a section on doing an at-home detox. It's not recommended, but some people do it.
Old 11-20-2008, 11:44 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

loizer... welcome... I hope you get what you are looking for with this site. For me, it was very difficult to quit in the past... I never understood why I had to be an all or nothing person... But I had to face the fact that I'm an alcoholic and have to do something for ME. Today is 32 days since I've had my last drink. I wouldn't have been able to do it with out this wonderful site of support. So keep reading and posting... we are all here for the same reasons!!!!