Is this addict behavior??

Old 11-15-2008, 06:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello....some of you know the addict in my life is my brother, he is doing well, he went to a 30 day treatment then went to court to clear a warrant and is doing some time in jail until the next court date after he does whatever time he gets hes going into a residential treatment center..........

My question is about my BF, I believe he is an addict, not actively using though. His sisters also told me he had a problem he said they are lying just to cause trouble, they dont speak much at all, the family has a lot of issues but i dont believe they would lie to me about that.

He loves pills, when they are around. He doesnt go looking for them but I take xanex for anxiety and when i first met him i was missing a lot of them, every once in awhile now he will ask me if he can take a couple to fall asleep, ive said yes and he acts drunk, not a couple its 4-5 even 6 once and i asked why hetook that many and he said because 2 or 3 doesnt work for him, thats BS he wanted to get messed up if you ask me.

Next is percosets, i was getting 100 a month for my back, i stopped that he would take so many at a time he would throw up, 4-6 at a time. My father gets them for pain also and sometimes he will ask my father for some, he gives him a couple here and there they are 10mg ones and he has no problem taking 2 or 3 of those at a time. Ive asked him if he has or had a problem and he said No, he said his family always accused him of it but he doesnt have one. To me this seems like a problem, along with all his pot smoking, not just once or twice a day but like every 3 hrs, he said it was for back pain, well we got that taken care of it was a huge kidney stone, hes still spening 60-90 a week on it, it pisses me off cause we have a baby and his money goes to that before anything else! He is bi polar also and not on medication, i believe he is self medicating and smokeing so much because he doesnt have his DOC......please any ideas?? Am I right? Is this addict behavior?? Thanks
Old 11-15-2008, 07:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

That is definitely addict behavior. You mention he is bipolar--when was the last time he actually saw his doctor? Is he supposed to be taking meds?
Old 11-15-2008, 07:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Nichole,
IMO this is addict behavior. It also sounds like he is self medicating for his bi polar. My daughter was a heroin addict then she switched to pills for various reasons. She also said she didn't have a problem with pills. Later she did admit she went doctor shopping. She is also bi polar and was self medicating.

Finally she got her addiction under control , got a pdoc and therapist and is on bi polar meds. She is a different person now. Not without problems but she took control.

I strongly suggest he gets his bi polar treated and maybe he won't be shopping around for pills. I think he is definetly showing addict behavior.
He needs professional help for dual diagnosis.

Get some help for yourself also and lock up your pills.

Lo
Old 11-15-2008, 07:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I thought it was addict behavior too! My brotther is a heroin addict and it all started with pills, that worries me! He is def bi polar he admits to that but he says he wont take medication for it because it makes him feel like a zombie! Its crazy, i love him but being with him is very hard! He doesnt have a dr because he doesnt have insurance anymore and hes been off meds for a long time, he had 2 suicide attempts in his early 20;s as well..........I just dont know anymore.
Old 11-15-2008, 07:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Restoring myself to sanity

It's Addictive behavior.. My AH loves pills too, he will take over the counter stuff if he can't get to his drug of choice..

Of course he is going to say that his family is lying.. that too is typical addict behavior. Lying, denial, and being on the defensive. Dealing with them is like going around in circles on a merry go round.. it only stops when you get off.

Take a few steps back and really assess your situation.. You hit the nail on the head when you said being with him is hard! I'm married to an addict and hard is an understatement. Take care of Nichole and do what you need to do to protect yourself if you choose to stay in the relationship..
Old 11-15-2008, 07:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

As a recovering addict that screams addict behavior also. My DOC is percocet and meth. I too self medicated. But everything that you said in your 1st post is exactly describing my addiction too. I would seek help for you and start setting boundaries before he takes you and your child down with him. You get sucked in and dont even know it.

Welcome to Sober Recovery.
Old 11-15-2008, 07:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. Yes, that is addict behavior. My daughter is a heroin addict but it started with pills. She also self-medicated depression. She has almost 6 months off the heroin but still thinks that you can solve problems with pills. She is now prescribed them for her anxiety-Seroquel. But I believe she uses too much to get that numbed out feeling. The thing that I have learned is to let go and let God and take care of yourself. The responsibility for my daughter's addiction and recovery rests squarely on her shoulders. If she wants to be clean she will find a way. Sounds like your bf is still in denial about having a problem. So he does not feel yet that he needs to find a solution. Hugs, Marle
Old 11-15-2008, 08:15 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

What do you think the best way would be to confront him about this?
Old 11-15-2008, 09:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I think the best way to confront him is to set boundaries for yourself that you can live with. Since he already told you he doesn't have a problem, nothing you say will change that.
Old 11-15-2008, 09:47 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Like not giving him money when he askes for it because he spent all his on weed? Or not calling his weed dealer for him when hes at work? Stuff like that you mean??
Old 11-15-2008, 09:52 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Funny, but when I read your post, I wasn't looking at his behavior, but rather at yours, and the fact you were giving him your prescription pills.
Old 11-15-2008, 09:56 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yes this is very addict behavior. Becareful to see if he is also taking your pills to sell and then get pot with that money.

Let Go Let God,
NH7
Old 11-15-2008, 10:02 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Yes, Nichole, stuff like that is enabling. It would be like me frantically worrying about my RAD shooting dilaudid then giving her a ride to the drug house.
Old 11-15-2008, 11:11 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Yes it is DEFINITELY addict behavior.

because it makes him feel like a zombie!
BULLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

Some of them did years ago, but there are so many NEW treatments for Bi Polar and one can function normally. I know, I am Bi Polar. I will admit it took about 5 years to finally find what worked for me but that was back in 1990 to 1995. Now it is much different.

It seems to run in my family. My one cousin was diagnosed last year and within 3 months they had her stablized and she is doing great. Another cousin the same thing.

He is using 'other people's' medication to self medicate.

DO NOT let him have any of your medication and let your father know that he is NOT to give him any also.

As for you, why not try some Alanon or Naranon meetings for yourself. They will be a great help to YOU. I mention Alanon because many times in an area there are many more of them than the Naranon.

It is a great way to 'get in touch' with yourself. Learn how to set YOUR boundaries on what is acceptable and what isn't and how to stick to them.

Please keep posting and let us know how YOU are doing as we do care very much.

Love and hugs,
Old 11-15-2008, 11:57 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Restoring myself to sanity

Originally Posted by Nichole78 View Post
Like not giving him money when he askes for it because he spent all his on weed? Or not calling his weed dealer for him when hes at work? Stuff like that you mean??
Do not do anything for you addict that he can do for himself.. period..

This means giving him money for anything.. no matter what his sob story is, and believe me he will have one... DO NOT GIVE HIM MONEY

Do not share your prescriptions with him.. in fact if you can keep them out of your home that would be even better.. maybe keep them at work and only take home what you will need in the evenings.

Do not contact his drug dealers at all.. not only does this put you in danger it also reinvorces to your bf that what he his doing his ok.

As for confronting him.. sounds like you already have and he has denied that there was a problem.. I woulden't confront him anymore I would do what the others have suggested and set some boundaries for yourself and keep them.

The more you nag, plead, beg, argue and accuse him of using drugs the more chaos you are going to cause for yourself. He wont stop using until he is ready and nothing and nobody can stand in his way if he wants to get high.

Take care of you...
Old 11-15-2008, 12:44 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Stronger than yesterday...

Nichole,
As an addict and speaking from experience, what you're describing is the behavior of an addict. Although I'm not a professional, I did many things your bf is doing. Everyone has given great advice. I definatley agree with setting some boundries, healthy boundries. Good luck hun!
Old 11-16-2008, 07:00 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thank you so much everyone! Ive hid my xanex not that he asks for that anymore but i did just in case, and ive told my father not to give him anything if he asks to tell him hes out. As for the pot smoking not much i can do about that except not let him borrow money off me for it, he smokes it outside not in my home because of my son being here..........hope things change here, i dont like not trusting someone i love.....
Old 11-16-2008, 07:26 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

As everyone else has told you...YES...this is addict behaviour. My ex told me he has "graduated" to vicodin and smoking weed. Along with everything else. They often switch drugs when one is not available or as "proof" that they are not addicts. Everyone else gave you the right advice. Does he smoke weed in the house? You can put a stop to that as well. If you do not want that around your baby. Say no more at home. It's illegal and it also can hurt your child. As far as bi-polar. My ex was diagnosed with that BEFORE he ever got clean and sober. A person needs to be clean and sober before that diagnosis can be made. When he was clean and sober for 5 years he had NO signs of being bi-polar. You need to take away the chemicals to make a accurate diagnosis.