Notices

New To The Forum

Old 11-14-2008, 04:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New To The Forum

Hi,
I'm new to the site, 80 days sober, but really struggling. I have a strong urge to drink;it's really bad. There are a lot of problems at home with my son (9) and husband and the stress, arguments, fights are terrible.If I had financial independance I'd leave. I can't take it any more. I really feel a drinking binge coming on...I just CAN'T COPE otherwise. The stress is too bad.
I'm in a state of despair at the moment....feel so bad...
Thanks for being here, ..
Arabella
Old 11-14-2008, 04:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Hello, ARABELLA.

Welcome to SR.

Is there a good friend you can call right now? Someone you can talk to until the urge passes?

Keep reading the threads at SR. Post whenever you need to.
Old 11-14-2008, 04:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome and Congratulations on your sober time

I timed my cravings in early sobriety.
They averaged 6 minutes in duration.
That's not too long...tho it felt forever...

Sooo...I took action during those urges.
Hard candy and juice helped...as did drinking cold water.

I took a shower...walked...brushed my teeth.....distractions all.
I prayed for peace of mind.

You too can overcome cravings...both mental and physical.

Blessings to you and your family
Old 11-14-2008, 04:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Arabella, welcome to SR!

Congratulations on your sober time!! Hang around here, post a lot, read a lot, and don't drown your problems with booze... As you probably know, it's simply not worth it. I'm sorry you're having a hard time, remember that it will pass eventually. And you need a clear mind to deal with the sources of stress in your life; sounds like decisions need to be made, but don't get overwhelmed, take it slow.
Here's another
Old 11-14-2008, 04:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Congrats on your time.
I think you already know drinking isnt going to make it go away.
Instant relief for the "moment" maybe. But then what?
Glad you are here.
Old 11-14-2008, 04:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Arabella,

Welcome!

I'm glad you found us. You know that drinking won't make any of your problems any better and in fact, you'll probably end up feeling worse.

Stay strong and focused on your recovery.
Old 11-14-2008, 04:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks Carol and Bamboozle,
You're so right about distractions Carol...anything at all..just don't drink. It's 2.30a.m where I live so I'm going to brush my teeth and try to get some sleep.;will read 'first year sobriety'..have been reading bits of it. I hope I can sleep.
God bless you all for your kindness...
Arabella x
Old 11-14-2008, 04:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Like Matt said, you need to be clearheaded to face the future and make the changes that will help you feel better about your life. I know it's tempting to numb yourself for awhile, but when you get sober the problems will still be there, and you'll be remorseful - and starting at square one again. I don't think you want to go back there. Congratulations on the huge accomplishment of 80 days sober - you can do this.
Old 11-14-2008, 04:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks

Just now saw the other posts. Thanks everyone. I know it won't help to drink, at least not in the long term, but oh, that longing is so strong. And my mind is trying to fool me by telling me I'll somehow be able to cope better with a bit of alcohol to soothe my nerves...it's an inner conflict and I'm not sure what's 'truth' any more. Maybe tomorrow will be better....

XXX
Old 11-14-2008, 05:22 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Welcome to the SR family!

I have 81 days today (still Fri nite).
I lurked here for a while and did a lot of reading. The most helpful
part for me was reading the sticky under the alcoholism forum that contained excerpts from the book "Under the Influence". It helped me get my head and heart on the same page. No more internal conflict. I now know how every cell in my body reacted to alcohol and why I became addicted.

I'm glad you are here. Get some rest tonight.
Remember one day at a time, one moment at a time!:ghug3
Old 11-14-2008, 05:25 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

hope

Arabella

What I do is go to AA meetings, even if it is only for one hour it still gets me out of my head for a while. I have been where your at way too many times. I have had several relapses over the years and just recently got 3 years clean time in. It's the crap in my head and me trying to counsel myself that always got me into trouble. If it's my head that is telling me drink obviously I can't depend on it to keep me sober.

I have been struggling for the past week and have gone to a meeting every night to get through it. If I chose to sit here in my stuff alone with the insanity all around me well I most likely would have picked up a drink.

Hang in there, and read other posts. I wish I were close by, I would come over and hang out with you through this.

Take care and stay on line if you have to. Teresa
Old 11-14-2008, 08:42 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
FreeSpirit

Old 11-15-2008, 04:56 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Just starting out...

Welcome to SR! I'm new here too. Stay strong, you know the drinking will only make you feel worse in the morning and for quite awhile thereafter.
Old 11-15-2008, 05:43 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Arabella, I know all too well how certain situations tempt me to drink just to "get away from it all". But I remind myself that drinking will only make a bad situation worse. Congratulations on your sober time! You can keep it up, one day at a time.

I agree with the suggestions of calling a friend or going to a meeting. Anything to surround yourself with supportive people.

:ghug3
Old 11-15-2008, 09:05 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks

Thanks everyone for your support. I made it to this moment, still sober, but what a horrible day I had. I almost ran out the door with a packed bag to run off and get drunk. Instead I took 3 xanax (another problem) and went to bed.
Pelican, I've been trying to find out where to get the book 'Under the Influence'...know where I can get it? I checked Amazon but nothing coming up. I need all the help I can get.
For this moment I'm sober...at least that...
xxx
Old 11-15-2008, 07:28 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Hi there, I'm sorry I did not get this earlier as I had to work today. Here is a link for Under the Influence at amazon books. I found it at a book store and paid the same price as amazon charges.

Amazon.com: Under the Influence: A Guide to the Myths and Realities of Alcoholism: James Robert Milam, Katherine Ketcham: Books

Hang in there! You can do this one day at a time.
Old 11-15-2008, 08:18 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ARABELLA View Post
Hi,
I'm new to the site, 80 days sober, but really struggling. I have a strong urge to drink;it's really bad. There are a lot of problems at home with my son (9) and husband and the stress, arguments, fights are terrible.If I had financial independance I'd leave. I can't take it any more. I really feel a drinking binge coming on...I just CAN'T COPE otherwise. The stress is too bad.
I'm in a state of despair at the moment....feel so bad...
Thanks for being here, ..
Arabella
WELCOME!!!!

Keep coming back, you'll find a lot of support here.