Notices

The Relapse Prevention Tool Box

Old 11-14-2008, 09:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thumbs up The Relapse Prevention Tool Box

I will periodically list 2 to 3 tools that can be used for our recovery. Some you may not relate to or even care for and others you will relate to alot and might find very useful to implement or just be glad to refresh youself on it. Keep in mind (I'm telling myself this also) these are tools that are only good IF actually used and practiced. The more we do use the one's that seem most useful to us, the more of a change I believe they have on us in this ongoing journey called Recovery. Feel free to post your thoughts about one that really helps you and even your experience and insight of why this one is important to you.

1. REMEMBER YOUR LAST DRUNK/DRUG EPISODE:
Don't forget the hell you have been through. Dont allow minimizing or illusions of how simply "good" it was to creep in. Don't forget where you came from and why you needed treatment and help. You'll probably never forget how "wonderful" your first highs were, so (even more so) you can't allow yourself to ever forget how miserable really were INSIDE and where you were in the end.

2. USE THE 24 HOUR PLAN:
Stay clean and sober just for today. Don't worry about staying sober for the rest of you life. Don't burden yourself with the discouraging task of never using again. At times it may be focusing on just one hour at a time or even a each minute at a time, but keep your focus on the NOW. You can't stay clean for tomorrow or next week, but YOU CAN stay clean and sober for just for TODAY.

3. GO TO MEETINGS:
Regularly attendance at AA or NA meetings will greatly increase your chances of staying straight. Visit as many as you can each week (especially in early recovery). The simple truth is, whether we like it or not, we CANNOT do this on owr own. There is no such thing as the "Lone-Ranger" Recoverying Addict. Why? Because he just leaves and goes back uses again. Yes, it can be awckward meeting new people. Some groups may even turn you off or not fit all your "ideal" or expectations of what it should be like. But you keep looking, because they are out there. Many people just like you in all stages of recovery. Whatever you do, dont give up on this one...it is way too important.
Old 11-14-2008, 10:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
OMG everything's real

I use the 1 hour plan - just get through the next hour. A whole day can seem like a long time when you are early on in recovery!
Old 11-14-2008, 11:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Excellent, excellent, excellent.

Sure, there are more, but you listed the 'foundation' upon which to build recovery time.
Old 11-14-2008, 11:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Stronger than yesterday...

Thanks JusToday! 3 solid points that are very helpful. We all need a little reminder once in a while.
Old 11-14-2008, 11:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

My big incentive to stay sober is how awful my withdrawals were and how they got worse each time I had to withdraw again. I don't ever want to go thru that misery again.
Old 11-14-2008, 01:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am really tense right now. It's 4pm, Friday. I had a really long week at work and the committee in my head is telling me how much I deserve a drink. How great it would taste. How nice it would feel. ugh. I must decide before my sober boyfriend gets off work. I'm timing the trip to the grocery store and already planning out how I'll just have 2 drinks in the bathroom and brush my teeth both times and he'll never know. I feel stupid and kind of dirty. ugh, this feels like the longest moment. Where is the "I feel like I'm gonna go crazy if I don't get a drink, and really is having a couple of drinks the worst thing in the world?" Forum.
Old 11-14-2008, 02:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

help.
Old 11-14-2008, 02:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Hi Algernon, welcome to SR. How about sticking around here, reading and posting, until that craving passes?

I know how that committee works, it ruled my life for 27 years. Now there's another side of my thinking that tells me a few simple things:

1. A drink never improved any situation.

2. My worst day sober is way better than my best day drunk.

3. Nobody ever died from not taking another drink.

Please keep reaching out for help and support. Have you thought about trying an AA meeting?
Old 11-14-2008, 03:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My denial system on day nine of being clean from weed is telling me that maybe I can just smoke a little if someone offers it to me. But I remember an old friend who neither drinks nor uses saying, after I asked him if he doesn't just want a glass of wine now and again, "Either you do or you don't."

I need to keep this weed thing pretty black and white and I am extending it to alcohol as well for now. I am having tremendous cravings but I know I will feel worse if I give in. I know the confusion it will cause me and the pain of having to start my detox all over again.

That keeps me going.
Old 11-14-2008, 03:29 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

if you're anything like me Cat Wings, there ain't no such animal as 'a little'

D
Old 11-14-2008, 04:38 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Prayer helps me immensley.

AA meetings keep me in balance.

Sharing with others is vital for my growth.

....Hope everyone finds the joy!
Old 11-14-2008, 04:53 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Algernon, it just won't be worth it, please trust us! We've all been where you are. I thought the way you're thinking right now for 25 yrs. - and I always gave in to those thoughts. I never had the courage to do what you're doing - trying to change. You can't be sure where those 2 drinks would lead - I know for me, that was the beginning of a long night, ending with passing out and starting the whole thing again early the next day. Please let us know how you're doing.
Old 11-15-2008, 04:57 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hello gang. Time to post another...

4. FIND A SPONSOR:
Continuing along the lines of "there is no Lone-Ranger recovering addict", we need to have someone who is not just aquainted with you, but (particulary early on) someone who can stand by your side in this recovery process. Someone who had been through what you are going through and who is commited to be there for you through your recovery. I know...I know...you think it will be hard finding someone like that...not as hard as you think. When you are working no. 3 on this list you will find that most support groups even have a list of people who are willing to be immediate temporary sponsors. Yes, it is a risk and it may take some time finding someone you really think is the right person to ask, but don't give up on it.

(Side Note: Keep your expectations realistically balanced with your need for a healthy recovery. Yes...caution is good, but don't just look for the "perfect" choice in personality and even how they look. Talk to some who have been around awhile and ask who they think might be a good fit. I hope that came across right.)

More to come...

"The greatest oak tree was once a little nut who held its ground." ~That cool Author Unknown person again
Old 01-03-2009, 09:46 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Just wanted to bump this up.

Great thread with good stuff on here to help you stay sober.
Old 01-04-2009, 02:38 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

toss in some Gratitude ta boot
Old 02-20-2009, 11:11 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hello there. Its been awhile, but off we go with some more.

1. TEMPTATION & URGES ARE TEMPORARY - "THIS TOO SHALL PASS"
It is critical to remember during the urges and times of temptation to use...that they do not last. The urge or thought to use can often seem like its a permanent leach attached to you, but it not. It is an illusion fed on by our addiction. Remember these words that have helped me and many others, "This too shall pass". The great hope and life saving light at the end of the tunnel for us is this fact. Urges and temptations will pass and in a short time more often then not. "Taking it one day at a time." is a great way for us to find hope that we can, just for this day, make it clean and sober. In the same way, we can handle these when we take them one urge/temptation at a time.

2. DON'T THINK...RUN!
Some times when the temptation to use raises it ugly head (and it will many times) there are times when it or the situation can be so intimidating removing yourself is the best option. There are times that we can mentally work through the emotions and temptations of an urge, but there will be times when you and I are simply weaker for whatever reason and at those times your best option to stay sober is to get the hell out of there as fast as you can. No thinking about it or playing around with the temptation of what is before you...run!
Old 02-20-2009, 11:18 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
A new dawn and new chapter

Some more handy tools to throw in there:

No matter how bad you may be feeling using will only temporally boost your mode. And the crash afterward will feel far worse then what you were originally feeling.

Or

No matter how great you're feeling, don't ruin a good feeling by using!
Old 02-20-2009, 11:38 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bard View Post
No matter how great you're feeling, don't ruin a good feeling by using!
Nice input. Particularly love the quote.

Btw. The giant Norseman is giving me Age of Mythology flashbacks!
Old 02-24-2009, 12:52 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hello all. More tools.

1. AVOID RESENTMENTS
Resentment can breed a false sense of being in "in the right", powerful and important. This is a luxury that, we in recovery, cannot afford. Resentment, simply put, is poison. It can quickly permeate your emotions and thinking and be a stepping stone to using. See letting go and forgiving as an important part of your recovery also. Its hard, but very freeing and it can be done.

2. WATCH OUT FOR SELF PITY
Self-pity is not only useless, but even dangerous for our recovery. It is like quicksand. If you stay in it long enough you will go under. Put a real effort into thinking positive. A relatively easy first step is always to start off finding things that you can be thankful for. Don't allow self pity to cloud your thinking and convince you that "whoa-is-me...I don't know what to be thankful for." You could always start with - your alive and not dead (when many of us in recovery well know that we could of been several times over by now). There are many other things to be thankful for if we just think it through for a moment.

Until next time...grab from the tool box whenever you need
Old 02-24-2009, 02:40 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Please feel free to put your own input and thoughts as well.