"When will it ever end?"

Old 11-12-2008, 08:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

"When will it ever end?"

My daughter, who is recovering from a car accident and multiple injuries, found out today she may require more surgery on her jaw. She had an xray today to make sure everything was fine before they take the bars out of her jaw next Tuesday. She got the wires off two weeks ago.

Her jaw had developed a lump in the last week and the surgeons today said it was one of two things. Either an infection or an overgrowth of calcium in one of the fractures during healing. They said they'd call after the Xray and, if they found something more serious, she would need a CT scan ASAP. Well, she's getting the CT scan this Friday. They told her the overgrowth, if that's what it is, would be shaved off. By itself, nothing major and easily taken care of.

But they said she'd need to go back on opiates again after surgery. That's when she asked "when will it ever end?" and started crying. She just detoxed herself this past week from all the opiates after the first surgery. It was five days of hell.

She was looking forward to a new life drug free, and we just bought her a "new" used car so she could make all her physical therapy appts, doctors appts, therapy, NA meetings. The old one was on it's last wheel. She was excited about looking for part time jobs, and had already grabbed apps even with healing scars on her face and wires in her jaw.

Her sobriety is being tested and if you have any extra prayers you can spare, she could use them.
Old 11-12-2008, 08:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Oh my, my prayers are with you. It sure can be a struggle when the thing that can kill you is the only thing that can help you.
Old 11-12-2008, 08:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Chino, she's got my prayers. I admire her strength and determination...I think she gets them from her loving mom. I'm so sorry she is goign throguh this but I know there is a reason and she will face this challenge with strength and grace.
Old 11-13-2008, 03:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sending prayers her way. She sounds so strong and determined. Hugs, Marle
Old 11-13-2008, 04:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

(((Chino)))

Many, many prayers for you and your daughter. I'm so sorry she has to go through this, but she is one determined and awesome young lady (and so is her mom).

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 11-13-2008, 05:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Wow, Chino, how sorry I am for her. It's so admirable that she is showing strength and determination in kicking her addiction. Maybe all these "tests" are what is going to make her see the strength in herself. That's what they need to see. That they are strong and can do it, if they want. Stay strong and as supportive as you are. It's wonderful to see.
Old 11-13-2008, 05:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Oh Chino your daughter is going through so much hell and still fighting. I guess it shows you that some people are so strong no matter how many walls get put in front of them. Not to mention the personal emotional torment you are going through for your daughter and her pain. You are one strong mom and the apple doesn't fall from the tree it seems. Prayers for you both and keep believing it will be done one day soon. (((hugs))
Old 11-13-2008, 06:58 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Wow Chino - she seems like a very strong, determined woman. Wonder where she gets that from! Hugs and prayers to all of you.
Old 11-13-2008, 08:10 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Give your AD a hug for me! She is in my thoughts and prayers.
susan
Old 11-13-2008, 08:19 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sistergldnhair View Post
Maybe all these "tests" are what is going to make her see the strength in herself.
Thank you for those words, I need something to say to her. I'm not the cheerleader type and often at a loss for words. I struggle all the time with saying something encouraging then knowing when to say nothing, allowing her to just feel and work through something on her own. Typical codie behavior, huh?

The surgeon just called again and said it doesn't appear to be an overgrowth but an abscess! She was supposed to get all her wisdom teeth out a while back but blew it off. He said the accident must have killed the tooth and after they get the CT results back, they'll probably have the oral and maxillofacial surgeons work on her wisdom teeth at the same time plastic surgery takes off the arm bars.

That is a silver lining! It's killing two birds with one stone and also a lesson not to blow off that type of stuff. Hopefully she'll see it that way, too, including the lesson LOL!
Old 11-13-2008, 08:48 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Leap of Faith Survivor

Chino, mega hugs and prayers for you and your amazing daughter...
all I can think of is what plans God has for her , with all these challenges that seem to only make her stronger...what an inspiration! hugs, Grateful
Old 11-13-2008, 11:42 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
BBD

Chino, Your daughter is one strong, determined lady and for that be proud. I wish you and her luck through the final stages of her accident....and prayers sent that this will be easier this time... Smiles, Bonnie
Old 11-13-2008, 08:47 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Prayers that this will be the last. She's been through a lot and both of you are showing such strength. Hope her job hunting goes well.

Hugs
Old 11-13-2008, 09:24 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

You are both in my thoughts.

Real life could be a cake walk after this ordeal
Old 11-14-2008, 08:32 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Yesterday evening she drove the car for the first time. I don't think I've ever seen her so excited to go to a NA meeting! I was a little nervous at first because it's been a while since she's been behind the wheel, but my sense of personal freedom and the relief was greater. We've been snipping and snapping at each other lately over stupid stuff and it's because we both needed some space.

This car might prove to be a huge incentive in getting off the opiates ASAP, after the upcoming surgery. She can't drive while she's under the influence and if she does, she knows she's out of here, no matter what her physical state is. I'll call the police on her too because we have to protect ourselves. My boundaries are prepared for a worst case scenario.
Originally Posted by outtolunch View Post
Real life could be a cake walk after this ordeal
That's another thing for me to say to her, thank you! When she's finally released from all the doctors, I'm going to remind her how far she's come and all the strength she's gained from it
Old 11-14-2008, 09:08 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
grateful rca

hi, keeping you and especially your daughter in my prayers. glad to hear shes doing better
Old 11-14-2008, 09:10 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Chino, Im sorry I didnt post before this but I wanted to say what a remarkable daughter you have. Her courage, strength, and recovery is a true gift and is outstanding. Ive read back over some of your old post and think of how far and how hard her fight has been for herself and those who love her(mom especially). You both are wonderful examples of life and recovery. You have had so many battles and the victory is yours today.
Old 11-14-2008, 09:28 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Your daughter sounds like she's got a lot of strength. I'm sure you've made the docgtor aware of your daughter's addiction issues...maybe he can perscripe something that's not as addictive (Do not use Methadone).

Prayers for you and your daughter.
your daughter
Old 11-14-2008, 09:30 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Gwen, you just reminded me to say today, what I was going to say to her later. I need to say it often, especially for myself. A reminder not to take this for granted. Every time we hissed at each other during the last couple of weeks, I had to walk away and felt ashamed. I didn't have to snarl before I walked. We have exchanged so many apologies it's nuts.

On the other hand we've done a lot of communicating, clearing stagnant air that had fermented. Despite all the bickering I came away with understanding something about both of us.

Amy was right when she said it was going to get interesting as our relationship developed.
Old 11-14-2008, 09:59 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HurtingDad View Post
I'm sure you've made the docgtor aware of your daughter's addiction issues...maybe he can perscripe something that's not as addictive (Do not use Methadone).
She tells the doctors and that says so much, doesn't it? That's another reminder that I don't encourage her enough.

She love/hates methadone and won't take it unless it's the last resort. Even then she refuses to stay on it and I hope it stays that way. They'll give her the equivalent of 8mgs of suboxone because it's what she was on before all this happened, plus a little bit more for the pain. All those receptors have to get covered, but not enough to get her high. Right now they are pretty raw. Thankfully we know to request a psych consult for her pain meds and we learned that the hard way.