Language of Letting Go - Nov. 12 - Timing

Old 11-12-2008, 02:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Language of Letting Go - Nov. 12 - Timing

You are reading from the book The Language of Letting Go

Timing

Wait until the time is right. It is self-defeating to postpone or procrastinate; it is also self-defeating to act too soon, before the time is right.

Sometimes, we panic and take action out of fear. Sometimes, we take untimely action for revenge or because we want to punish someone. We act or speak too soon as a way to control or force someone to action. Sometimes, we take action too soon to relieve feelings of discomfort or anxiety about how a situation will turn out.

An action taken too soon can be as ineffective as one taken too late. It can backfire and cause more problems than it solves. Usually, when we wait until the time is right - sometimes only a matter of minutes or hours - the discomfort dissolves, and we're empowered to accomplish what we need to do.

In recovery, we are learning to be effective.

Our answers will come. Our guidance will come. Pray. Trust. Wait. Let go. We are being led. We are being guided.

Today, I will let go of my need to control by waiting until the time is right. When the time is right, I will take action.

From The Language of Letting Go by Melody Beattie ©1990, Hazelden Foundation.
Old 11-12-2008, 02:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Our answers will come. Our guidance will come. Pray. Trust. Wait. Let go. We are being led. We are being guided.
What a lesson this was for me, taking time and allowing myself to be led.

I always jumped into doing the things I wanted to do, without thinking whether it was a healthy choice...or I procrastinated over the things I did not want to do, even if doing them would be good for me.

I prefer to be led...although I am still a terrible procrastinator.

Hugs
Old 11-12-2008, 06:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The timing of this post is perfect. My AGF blew off plans, had people over last night & they were all doing blow. She forgot her phone somewhere - so I went & got it. Of course, since she has lost my trust - I looked in the phone. And saw messages to & from other dudes that were - let's just say - not appropriate. Surprise, surprise. Not.

So I got back home, gave it to her - then excused myself from the "partying" saying I had a headache. Then I get told she's mad at me for not being around her/them. Forget the fact that I had a headache, right?

Well - I didn't say anything about the fact that I saw the text messages in her phone. I didn't say anything to the fact that I was not cool with everyone coming over and doing blow. Of course, now I'm "suffering in silence" - and that's not good - but, at least I didn't act out of my anger & hurt. The timing wasn't right. Hopefully I'll know when it's right - soon - and that I'll act in the best way possible.

God - wtf am I doing???
Old 11-12-2008, 06:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Rest peacefully Sonny Boy

There is a time to hope, a time to pray, a time to just be still, a time to let go, a time to cry, a time to laugh. I just never seemed to know when to do what. Putting myself into HP's hands and being led, was and is a scary thing. I have found though, that the more I practice doing that, my fear is turning into trust and even peace in the center of a storm.

B
Old 11-12-2008, 06:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

Originally Posted by Ann View Post
Usually, when we wait until the time is right - sometimes only a matter of minutes or hours - the discomfort dissolves, and we're empowered to accomplish what we need to do.
Thanks for this reading - as always my HP sends me the messages just when I need them -

Just this morning I had one of those "aha moments" and stated "This is unacceptable behavior and I can tolerate it NO more"

Why today, why now - because it was right for me - I am ready to say what I need to say.

I will have to copy this reading because when those doubt feelings come back to haunt me (like they always do) I will remember I know what I know and When it's time - it's time.

Thanks again Ann,
Rita
Old 11-12-2008, 08:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sometimes, we panic and take action out of fear. Sometimes, we take untimely action for revenge or because we want to punish someone. We act or speak too soon as a way to control or force someone to action. Sometimes, we take action too soon to relieve feelings of discomfort or anxiety about how a situation will turn out.

This definitely describes the way I have been most of my life, Thank God, its alot better than it used to be, If I stop and remember that I am not in control,that God is...and he will work everything out for the best. But there are still times I still go there, thats why I am happy to have help in my recovery.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:47 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
down the rabbit hole

I really needed this one today. I am still really struggling with understanding how to put something in HP's hands. But I am trying...