Notices

Hopped UP

Old 11-11-2008, 10:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hopped UP

Hoping some of you can share your stories of your first few weeks sober. I'm 9 days off the bottle now, and there's plenty of good to celebrate, but I'm really struggling with this feeling that I can best describe as overcaffinated (even though I'm not drinking more than 2 cups of tea in the morning, and none throughout the rest of the day). It's like there's a buzzing in my head and body, and I just want the damn ride to stop so I can get off and take a breather.

This is a feeling I've always associated with quitting, and it's been a prime reason I've rarely gone more than a week off. I don't want to drink... and I'm not going to today (one day at a time means I only have to worry about this day). But, I hear those junkie thoughts creeping into my consciousness, and I'm feeling like I could sure use a little encouragement, and maybe some shared experiences, so I can maybe find some hope that this isn't going to last.

Anything you more advanced sober folks can share would be greatly appreciated.

Here's a link to my introductory post, in case knowing something more about my sobriety is of any use to you in responding...
...okay, I guess I can't post a link to my first post until I've posted 15 times, so you can find it in the Alcoholism forum if you're interested.

Thank you in advance.
Old 11-11-2008, 10:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey there,

The first two weeks are pretty insane(well-they were for me) and that 'hopped up' feeling does pass.It took a while for me though and then I went into the roller coaster ride that is early recovery-up then down.It's not fun-but it's not the end of the world either.It DOES pass.

You've done well to get this far.Remind yourself of that.And just keep moving forward.All we really have is today-and you can get through today-even if it's rough.

You're not alone.Keep posting if you need to and know you're surrounded by people here who understand.You can do this.

Jules.
Old 11-11-2008, 11:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jules62 View Post
It DOES pass.
It means the world to hear you say that. Thank you.
Old 11-11-2008, 11:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I experienced that buzzy, insides-want-out feeling for a few days, right after I was through withdrawing. After 3-4 days of that I just crashed and have felt exhausted since then. I'm at 2 weeks today and have been told that most people start feeling normal again after 1-2 months or so.
Old 11-11-2008, 11:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You're welcome rpec.I mean it.I relapsed so many times and finally feel like I may have got it.But I've never forgotten how hard the first few weeks are.It'll get better.Truly.Be strong.

Jules xox
Old 11-12-2008, 12:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I remember that too rpec - I figured for me it was probably anxiety - how the hell was I going to live without booze - it was my partner in everything basically...

It was hard - but I did it...

you have to believe that you're doing the right thing in staying sober, and push past the discomfort, and the fear, and the uncertainty.....

I'm not an AA guy, but in the beginning I had to focus on one day at a time too.
I figured I'd just deal with today cos that's the only thing you can really work with anyway - sometimes 'I won't drink today' was the only thing that got me through the early days.

Make sure you have support rpec - whether it be here or AA or whatever - when you feel like you're holding on by a thread it's great to know you have encouragement support and advice waiting Any options we have - like posting here - instead of listening to the Voice and drinking, are great.

welcome to ya! and good luck
D
Old 11-12-2008, 01:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I feel like this is the barrier that's prevented me from getting to the other side. I really really want to know what it's like to both not be drinking and not be feeling this way. It really helps to hear from people like you guys who have seen the other side, just to be sure it really is there. I'll keep crossing this barrier, and look forward to seeing the other side for myself. I hope it's soon. Thanks for helping.
Old 11-12-2008, 05:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I relapsed too many times to count, but a lot of it was the awful anxiety and agitation and having no 'easy out' when uncomfortable feelings cropped up. It does get better. I started feeling more 'human' after a month and now at four months I'm feeling quite good.

Having a support system in place can help you a lot. AA can provide that, and good friends and family to call when you feel bad or 'weak' can make a big difference in succeeding over the bottle.

Keep at it! Welcome to a good place for support and info. Keep coming back!:ghug3
Old 11-12-2008, 05:54 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi, I am at day 9 since my last relapse. When I had gotten to 26 days I was feeling pretty good, guess so good I took a chance and went straight back to the beginning. I have a ton of anxiety in me right now. along with some depression which can play alot of tricks on us. My heart beats fast, mind is racing, I get really down and don't have a desire to get going, etc etc. Keep posting that is how I get thru the days, and AA- i go atleast once a day. I feel so good when I leave there. It is like going to an emotional spa. I come out feeling promise for a future and peace inside, and when I can get two shots of that a day(AA) I get an energy and mind boost. We can make it! Good luck and keep posting, so nice to hear from others who are new.
Old 11-12-2008, 06:00 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I had that feeling too - the hopped up, anxious feeling. The only sure-fire thing that helped me lose it, even for a little while during early recovery, was excercise. Start wherever you can...a walk around the block, heck a walk around the house, even. Go as far as your fitness and your current state of mind allow and then push an inch futher everyday.

That got me through to "the other side" and it's great to be here. Hang in and you'll make it too! I know exactly what you mean about wanting to see things when you are neither drinking nor suffering the effects of quitting. The barrier can take a while to get across, but it is sooo worth it.

Welcome!
Jomey
Old 11-12-2008, 07:12 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I was so anxious last night I thought I was going to have a heart attack...it was pitch black outside, and raining, but I just needed some fresh air. We have a 500 foot driveway, so I walked/ran up and down the driveway about 6 times. Figure I got over a mile in mud puddles and all, but it helped calm me down.
Old 11-12-2008, 10:15 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jomey View Post
I had that feeling too - the hopped up, anxious feeling. The only sure-fire thing that helped me lose it, even for a little while during early recovery, was excercise. Start wherever you can...a walk around the block, heck a walk around the house, even. Go as far as your fitness and your current state of mind allow and then push an inch futher everyday.

That got me through to "the other side" and it's great to be here. Hang in and you'll make it too! I know exactly what you mean about wanting to see things when you are neither drinking nor suffering the effects of quitting. The barrier can take a while to get across, but it is sooo worth it.

Welcome!
Jomey
I actually do exercise quite a bit. Yesterday, that was when it seemed to be its worst. Don't know if you've ever seen the movie "Falling Down" with Michael Douglas, but throughout my entire tennis workout, I felt like him. I pushed through it, yelled a lot when I missed a ball, and felt completely miserable, but at least for about an hour afterwards, I felt somewhat calm.

Got a great night's sleep last night. Hoping that's going to help with today (day 10). Another thing that seems to help (temporarily) is taking a scalding hot shower. It's like that little shot of pain to the skin clears my head for a little while.

Thanks to you and to all who are throwing in their encouraging words. It really helps a lot to have a group who have been through this, and know what it's all about. I'm sure I'll be talking to you all a lot tomorrow, when I have the challenge of meeting a client at a restaurant. I know the client is going to be drinking, and I'm going to want to be prepared to deal with that.
Old 11-12-2008, 11:18 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I haven't seen that movie, so I am not sure what that is about. Even if you feel cruddy during the excercise process, it may help you to relax, as you said, and also to sleep.

I excercise all day long - I am a farmer and a horse trainer, so there is not a time when I am not physically being active - so that makes the following suggestion a little easier for me but may be worth a try for you if you can fit it into your lifestyle- try some non-competitive, endurance excercise. Maybe long distance running or walking. Anything that is competitve or performance oriented can add to anxiety. Just a suggestion.

Good luck withyour lunch tomorrow! you can do it!
Old 11-12-2008, 11:38 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jomey View Post
Anything that is competitve or performance oriented can add to anxiety. Just a suggestion.
Good point. I hadn't even considered that, but it makes perfect sense. Perhaps some nice boring treadmill and weights today.