Notices

Day 6 of marijuana withdrawal/abstinence

Old 11-11-2008, 12:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 6 of marijuana withdrawal/abstinence

I posted part of this message under substance abuse forum, but thought I would post it here to see if anyone can related or offer feedback.

I am on day 6 of no marijuana and it is not easy. Today I realize that while my head is clear and I feel slightly euphoric, I also feel angry and quite a bit irritable, anxious, and on the verge of tears. Yesterday I cried for a bit even.

Today the real part of my denial is extending to feeling envious of the high-functioning potheads I know - like my ex-boyfriend who has a lot of money, works his ass off and is a talented sound artist whom everyone loves. He's is quite a bit past 40 and it is obviously not dragging him down. All the other artists I know who are potheads seem to be doing fine on it, so why can't I?

However, I am trying to remind myself that I do know a few who have expressed a desire to either take a break or cut down or quit altogether. One friend of mine did, but then went right back on it.

I have been easing out of talking to ex as well (because I have a lot of resentment and attachment there), but I did tell him I was quitting and he said, yeah it is good to take a break and he just had tea at parties for a while and it was fine for him and he didn't miss it at all. Well, good for him except he is right back on it, smokes a LOT, and has taken no real break for any length of time.

So I started thinking, why am I so neurotic that I have to take everything so seriously, including my pot use? Why do I have to make even that complicated for me - whether I quit or not? What's wrong with me? But then, this is how I feel about most everything I do - confused.

I remember about 9 years ago telling one of my pothead friends that I flushed the rest of my weed down the toilet and later on her husband just laughed at me.

But I guess I have to remind myself that there is a reason I want to quit, though it is hard to hang on to right now.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Although I have no experience with pot, I just wanted to say I am glad you are here. :ghug2
Old 11-11-2008, 12:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Catwings Personally, I don't think you sound neurotic. On the contrary, it sounds as though you do know what you want. However, comparing your decision to other users' points of view is probably not a good idea. I mean, maybe they're high functioning, maybe they think you're overreacting... Who cares? Bottom line, it's your call, and if you've decided to quit, all the better for you. So by all means, hold on to your decision and focus on your own reasons to do it.

Though I've never tried pot, I've seen heavy users withdraw from it, and it's no walk in the park - hang in there though, you should feel better soon. Take good care of yourself, keep posting
Old 11-11-2008, 01:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

How old are you and are you in missouri?
Old 11-11-2008, 01:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi cat

I am on day 10 of no marijuana or alcohol. I was a hard core smoker, first thing in the morning and last thing I did at night, and of course everything in the middle. I am experiencing much of what you are, but I am not sure if its due to the cut off of weed or booze. I am lucky because I don't have very many people around me who smoke pot so its not in my face. Stay strong and keep me updated because I dont know many people who have stopped smoking....Stay strong
Old 11-11-2008, 02:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

cat's quote "I am on day 6 of no marijuana and it is not easy. Today I realize that while my head is clear and I feel slightly euphoric, I also feel angry and quite a bit irritable, anxious, and on the verge of tears. Yesterday I cried for a bit even.

Today the real part of my denial is extending to feeling envious of the high-functioning potheads I know..."

Cat, first off, congrats on your quitting!

In my experience, getting a clear mind allows me the ability to feel and think clearly again. I too experience bouts of anger, irritability and anxiety when my mind is free to experience those emotions. I also compare myself to those that I think appear to be doing fine, all the while they are drinking or whatever their choice of escape is. I stopped comparing myself to others a while back, and I am glad I did. I am, for the most part, comfortable with who I am, therefore, I didn't find it necessary to compare myself to others any longer.

Could you share with us your reasons for quitting? You left that part out and I think it might be good for you to remind yourself why you want to quit.

For me, quitting it difficult because the feelings and issues in my life come to the forefront when I am sober...the escape through alcohol and drugs certainly SEEMS effective, yet don't we all know that all it does is delay our eventual arrival at true happiness?

--Mike

Last edited by puterdude; 11-11-2008 at 02:21 PM. Reason: separated original quote from my response.
Old 11-11-2008, 03:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I want to quit because I don't want to be dependent on an outside substance to make me feel complete or whatever it is. It has also come to feel a bit psychoactive for me. I suffer from bipolar disorder and i have been self-medicating with it, believing it helps me get out of some of my funks, though i have been reading that pot may contribute to depression and make it worse, so i need to find this out. i also feel that it mellows me out when i am having a more agitated or excitable mood.

i have also run out of options for medications to treat my condition, since i cannot take anti-depressants due to this condition. i need to see if what meds i am on are working better than i think they are not. i also get super paranoid on the stuff at times and obsessive about things - like my thoughts are going around in a loop. i also cannot concentrate and i am getting to the point where i am typing the wrong words and this seems to be already lessening.

I want to experience some true spiritual transcendence in my life and peace of mind and i don't want to labor any longer under the illusion that marijuana is a help in this matter. I am also far behind in my life (as far as i am concerned and i think the weed addiction may have contributed to this.)

Honestly, I see others around me who are big weed smokers and i can see how it is affecting them in subtle ways - they don't take care of themselves or their appearance as much as they could be or they aren't as efficient at some things than they could be. OK, now I can see a reason not to compare myself to some people.

Also, I want to have a healthy intimate relationship with someone at some point and i don't want it to be with a pothead and I am sure someone who is healthier than I have been dealing with is not going to want a pothead either.

I have mostly used a vaporizer in the last four years though some smoke still gets through and that percentage adds up when you overdo it. And when it is not available, I will smoke out of someone's pipe and that is no good either. I always feel anxious about that. I don't want to cause myself breathing problems, though if I put it in food, the effect is a little too much and that is where some of the extra mental symptoms come in.

Ok - Thanks for asking that one. I hope it helps someone else too.
Old 11-11-2008, 03:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Catwings welcome... your in a great place for support here at SR. Keep reading and posting. I wouldn't be 23 days sober from alcohol/drugs if I didn't come here everyday for support! If sobriety is what you really want, than this place is great for you.

Have a wonderful night!
Old 11-11-2008, 08:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Cat, it is my distinct impression that it is a blessing to discover early in life (as you are!) that using pot isn't working for you. Same for me in a way...I have trouble with anxiety and I know my alcohol use ultimately makes my anxiety worse so I am working on quitting, one day at a time.

My point is...since I have anxiety I can't abuse alcohol like I see many of my friends do. They end up with a bad hangover...I get the bad hangover PLUS the wonderful waves of anxiety all day. Without the anxiety, maybe I'd keep drinking like I see many people do. The blessing is catalyst to quit...sure I feel some jealousy that others seem to "handle" it better..but I think we both know you and I are going to be much better off later in life by enjoying sobriety...

I got through day 3...tomorrow...day 4...

I'm in your corner...Mike
Old 11-12-2008, 02:33 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

hey catwings

I think to compare ourselves with anyone else is futile...I spent a lot of years drinking and smoking cos I wasn't as bad as 'those guys'...it's not a competition....if it's doing you damage, if you feel you need to stop? - then it's time.

It's been my experience, and that of a lot of others here, that self medicating just isn't effective. 'Doctors' really do make the worst patients in cases like ours, I think....we end up not managing our problem but trying to obliterate it by getting high.

And for what its worth, I look at a lot of my stoner friends who I considered 'high functioning' now...and I see a very different picture.

I posted these links the other day for someone else...I dunno but maybe there might be something useful in here for you too?

MARIJUANA – A Guide to Quitting .. 6 page pdf
National Drug and Alcohol Research Centre,
University of New South Wales, Sydney, 2052 and the Departments of Nursing and Psychology, University of Wollongong, 2522, Australia.
http://www.nevdgp.org.au/info/std_mi...juanaQuit.html

Detoxing from Marijuana
http://www.marijuana-anonymous.org/Pages/detox.html

Quit Marijuana Blog
quit marijuana

Quitting the Marijuana Addiction Cycle
Marijuana Rehab : Quitting the Marijuana Addiction Cycle - RehabInfo.net

Good luck - I hope to see you round some more
D
Old 11-12-2008, 05:00 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Catwings (love that name!): different drugs affect each of us differently. So while some may not have a problem with pot, some do. Same with social 'normal' drinkers vs alcoholics.

So try not to compare your experiences with the experiences of others. They just react differently than you do. I wish the best for you!
Old 11-12-2008, 08:05 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
being me

Really well said Dee!

I too was a daily smoker and considered myself "high-functioning", but what a joke that really was! Sure, I had a good job, but that was about all I had. I worked a ton of hours to make myself feel better and justify how I was "functioning". I didn't have that many friends because I was happy to stay home with my pot. I had a terrible smoker's cough. I couldn't make it through an afternoon at work without pot and would come up with any excuse to be able to "work at home". When I couldn't go home, I smoked in my car on the way to my classes. Ugh! I could go on and on; I was not controlling my own life!!! But, most people had no idea I was going through these struggles.

CatWings, it sounds like you are on the right track. The withdrawals will go away and there will be more opportunities in your life. I agree that comparing yourself to other people is not usually productive, but looking at who you want to be is.

K
Old 11-12-2008, 12:27 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

:)

Originally Posted by puterdude View Post
Cat, it is my distinct impression that it is a blessing to discover early in life (as you are!) that using pot isn't working for you. Same for me in a way...I have trouble with anxiety and I know my alcohol use ultimately makes my anxiety worse so I am working on quitting, one day at a time.

My point is...since I have anxiety I can't abuse alcohol like I see many of my friends do. They end up with a bad hangover...I get the bad hangover PLUS the wonderful waves of anxiety all day. Without the anxiety, maybe I'd keep drinking like I see many people do. The blessing is catalyst to quit...sure I feel some jealousy that others seem to "handle" it better..but I think we both know you and I are going to be much better off later in life by enjoying sobriety...

I got through day 3...tomorrow...day 4...

I'm in your corner...Mike

I'm on day 1 to quit, and you just convinced me man, THANK YOU

I was just about to go hunting for some...
Old 11-12-2008, 12:32 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

sorry those last two links I posted don't seem to be active anymore, Cat

D
Old 11-12-2008, 12:54 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hey Catwings,

I would fall under that 'functioning pot-addict' category as well.. But like others have said its just a bunch of crap. Good paying job and like Grrr said it only lead to isolation and excuses to hide my addiction at all costs. Really sad in the end looking back.

Withdrawals go away with time and the mood swings lessen. Really its just all about having a new outlook on life and realizing your fighting an uphill battle but if your up for it you can overcome it. I'm close to 130 days clean and still have my bad days but I never want to go back to the life I was living using marijuana.

Keep working at it and finding new ways to keep you busy and occupied. For me early in recovery it was having the occasional cigar when I was at my closest breaking point to have that 'feeling' back. Now its exercising and trying new things. Keep going it only gets better!
Old 11-12-2008, 04:10 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
being me

Originally Posted by bruce24 View Post
still have my bad days but I never want to go back to the life I was living using marijuana.
Amen to that!!

2flare, glad you are here too! It is so worth it to find new things to do and feel healthier.

Keep posting and reading, SR has a ton of great support. I am 24 days clean of pot and alcohol. I am happy to be completely sober and in control of my life. It isn't always easy, but I feel so much better about my choices now.

K
Old 11-12-2008, 06:51 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone for responding to me. I am happy to know there are other recovering marijuana addicts who feel as I do about just having had enough of that b.s.. And yes, the more I think about it, the more I think the high-functioning stuff is kind of a myth, because sooner or later the piper must be paid and I was sure starting to pay that one.

So we should stay strong together no matter what the addiction, though weed is surely an insidious one. It's been my last hold-out really of the few other addictions I have overcome.

All I have to know is how it affects ME, not anyone else because I can't be in anyone else's brain really. I just know that I am glad to be ready to be done with this crap. I knew it was just a matter of time a few months ago or so.

I had to seriously ask myself, "Do I really want to be a 42 year-old pot head?" NO.

I already am starting to feel better about things in general and though I am still having some weird symptoms, I feel better about myself and that I am starting to clean up little areas of my life that I have been neglecting.

I went to a LifeRing meeting tonight and the leader of that group reminded me that my brain is going to be going through a whole re-wiring procedure and that it sometimes can take quite a few months to a year to get it all sorted out.

I really feel the effects this time, so I know I was right to stop finally.

My only problem is that I feel a little bit manic but I think I will adjust and can do things about that other than use weed.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:38 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
being me

That is great CatWings! Green tea helps calm me down, but time really will help the most. Re-wiring the brain sounds right to me. I have short term memory again, and can speak in clear sentences. Yay!

Hang in there and keep posting. The daily support threads forum has been great for me. Come join us there too if you like!
Old 11-13-2008, 03:33 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CatWings View Post
I had to seriously ask myself, "Do I really want to be a 42 year-old pot head?" NO.
YAY!

Have you considered having a doctor evaluate the situation? The "re-wiring" can take a while, but there are several ways to speed it up - vitamins etc; having a thorough checkup is always a good idea
Old 11-14-2008, 12:55 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hmm..."functional" is subjective. As an artist, it is easier for me to get away with drinking in my discipline and I had considered alcohol to be part of my "creative consciousness" (it loosened up my inhibitions to write, etc. and allowed me to tap into my subconscious), but in the end I realized it wasn't really about my creativity...I was drinking in an attempt to control my anxiety and fluctuating moods. I think it is important to examine one's inner state in determining whether one is "functioning" or not...it's not just about outside appearances. I almost think "well-being" is a more appropriate word than "functioning"...because one could be functioning very well in their job, but be completely torn up inside...I think the reason why people in creative professions can drink and use and still seem "functional" is because the internal chaos can be channeled into art, music, whatever...but at what cost to the individual behind their work?