Notices

Newby

Old 11-11-2008, 10:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Newby

HI guys I am new to this site. I drink too much and want to stop! I have anger issues, and problems dealing with life in general. I guess I use alcohol to "numb" me but it doesnt work. I have a 2 year old son and do not want to be like this forever. I dont want to ruin him because his mother is an alcoholic.
yesterday I tried to check myself into a mental hospital and they turned me away. I feel thats the only way to be free of this is to be forced to stay away from alcohol. I have been drinking every day for months now....and its getting worse. I recently moved out of my ex's house and began to drink more and more. I could go a day or so before, but now its a habit Ive taken up. We have been trying to work it out, but all I want to do is go home so I can drink. I just admitted to him yesterday that I have a problem. The first time I have to anyone. And I guess thats the first step to recovery right? I feel so embaressed by this, so I guessed just putting it out there for anyone would be a good thing to start with. I just want support and am afraid to get it from the ones I know personally.
Old 11-11-2008, 10:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Welcome to SR ub! Hopefully you'll find the answers and support you're looking for, there are lots of good folks around to help us on our path to recovery.

Yes, admitting that we're powerless over alcohol is part of Step 1 in the program of AA. Have you considered attending any meetings? Getting and staying sober alone is very difficult, for me it was impossible, I needed the help of people with successful recovery and I found it in AA.

I'm a single father with two kids. It is possible to be a clean and sober parent. Just for today, do everything you can to stay sober. Tomorrow you'll have the chance to do it all over again. Take it one day at a time and somehow it becomes manageable.

Glad you're here!
Old 11-11-2008, 11:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have already slipped today....another Ill start tomorrow day I suppose. Im trying so hard to find places to go to, to have people support me. I never wanted to go to AA cuz Im super shy. But I was told to just go and listen for a while and itll help to hear what others do to stop and stay off alcohol. Its only been a few days since Ive admitted I have a problem and have started taking the steps to getting help.
Old 11-11-2008, 11:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
CindeRella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!

Welcome UBFunky! Glad that you found us!

Coming here and admitting to yourself that you have a problem is your first step...and IMHO I would listen to that person
who told you to just go and listen at AA! I know a lot of people who have stated AA was a great support in their recovery but, that is up to you to
make that choice. Just like it is your choice to stop drinking....think of that beautiful child of yours!

Please also check out our other forum "Alcoholism" and the stickies at the top of the forum as they are filled with a wealth of information!

Keeps us posted and know that you are not alone in this!
Old 11-11-2008, 12:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Slip =

Sobriety
Loses
It's
Priority

In order to stay sober, I have to want sobriety and recovery more than anything else, it has to come first.

I was very shy too, still am at times, so I sat at meetings and listened for the similarities rather than the differences. It didn't take me long to identify myself as an alcoholic.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

SR is a good place but I needed a foundation to grow from. If you have child care maybe you could try a rehab. I went to an inpatient for 10 days and then outpatient for 2 months. It really helped me understand the disease. I don't think I would of just quit but just making it through the first weekend with no temptation really helped.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Welcome to SR!:ghug3

Glad to see you here and wanting to make things better in both your sons life and your own. I can honestly say that my sobriety has been one of the best things in my childrens lives. You don't have to wait until he is 15 like I did. My children were 14, 15, and 2 when I finally found sobriety. By then I had done a lot of damage and put my children through a lot. I am fortunate that for the most part they have shown themselves to be resilent and have recovered as well but they did go through a couple of years of he** when I first got sober because they did not know how to deal with me without my being drunk.

You can do this. It took a program of recovery for me to finally find sobriety although I had made hundreds of attempts to quit without one. Personally, I would suggest trying the suggest your friend made about checking out an A.A. meeting. It worked for me. I have not had to drink since I went to my first meeting. If A.A. winds up not being for you after you give it a try then check out some of the other recovery programs available. There is a list of them under the alcoholism forum.

Take care and don't ever give up.
Old 11-11-2008, 01:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Yes...you too can quit drinking and find
a positive healthy future.

You might want to have an honest talk with
your doctor about the safest way to de tox.
It's always a wise move ..

Blessings to you and your son
Welcome to our recovery community