Looking for advice on dating from those in recovery!

Old 11-10-2008, 06:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Recovering Codependant

Looking for advice on dating from those in recovery!

Hello all!

Well I decided it is time to get back out there. I don't want a committed relationship right now, but just a bit of fun, meet new people and have some experiences. A girl needs a life right!?

Anyway, I have talked with a few people and I have had one date with a guy I met via the internet. Now I know many people are put off by Internet dating as there are many dangers etc, this thread is not about that. I know that dangers and I am being careful rest assured!

The guy I met seemed to me a nice person, we spoke via email at first and then text messages and lastly phone calls over a period of a few weeks.

However (you knew it was coming!) when we went out for Sunday lunch, I noticed red flags about him such as he seemed pre-occupied with drinking and was disrespectful toward me, called me a lightweight because I did not want to drink alcohol; also made a comment on my asking him questions about himself and told me ''you will have to stop that''. He confessed he had lost his driver's license for repeatedly drink driving, and continously tried to bully me into doing what he wanted.

I told him that call me what he may, I will not go on with him to another bar (which he asked at the end of the meal), I do not appreciate being told what to do, and being made to drink when I do not want to. I told him I was going home and did so.

Now I feel that I have come a long way in learning what I want from a person in a relationship, not allowing myself to be treated poorly etc. I am very pleased with myself for recognising the red flags and not getting involved with this guy, mostly for having the courage to say what I did to him.

I would like to get some hints and tips for dating on line. how do I word my description etc to attract the right person and not more immature control freaks? I know my confidence and self worth are much higher than a year ago, but I am still finding this type of person!

Appreciate any help

Lily xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Old 11-10-2008, 06:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey Lily--
Good for you for recognizing the red flags!!

Can you just state in your profile: "Not into a partying lifestyle." or "No heavy drinkers, no drugs."

Good luck!
Peace-
B.
Old 11-10-2008, 07:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Rediscovering myself

I know nothing of online dating, but I just wanted to say WTG on sending that jerk packing.
Old 11-10-2008, 07:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Curled up in a good book...

ditto what Justaboutus said.

Old 11-10-2008, 07:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good for you on recognizing the red flags. As I read your post, I related to it because I am just about ready to try some casual dates. Kind of like the 12 steps...I am admitting I am ready _ just not able to take action yet!!

Anyway, as I was reading your post I thought, "She is getting to practice her new skills on this guy. She is getting to she how strong she is, capable of expressing her needs in a healthy way, and she is taking a risk." Well done Lily!

As I said, I am not actually dating yet so I have no ESH. But I had an idea. Perhaps a line about "healthy lifestyle" would work. Good Luck and keep us posted.
Old 11-10-2008, 08:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Recovering Codependant

On the site I have found a quiz for potentials to answer. So far I've come up with these questions, some are more probing than others

Opinions are welcome!

Are you more a car person (yes) or do you use public transport (no)?

Could you imagine not having children?

Could you let a week go by without having any news of your mother?

Do you think that money is there to be spent (yes) or to be saved (no)?

Do you think we should always have exactly the same opinions about everything?

Does mountain climbing frighten you?

For household chores, are you more 'order-giver' (yes) or 'doer' (no)?

I have a very diverse group of friends (languages, religions, tastes), what about you?

Is marriage very important to you?

Is owning property an aim in your life?

We have invited our friends for an evening at our home, some people want to smoke, I suggest that they go outside when they need a cigarette. Do you agree with this principle?

When you don't know where you're going it's a good idea to think about where you come from, do you agree?

Would you be able to spend an entire weekend at home reading?

Do you prefer to be looked after and pampered (yes) or to stand on your own two feet (no)?

Is the reason you are single because your past partners were the wrong people (yes) or is it that you could have been a better partner (no)?

Do you believe that we are who we are and we cannot change?

Are you still fiends with your ex partner(s)?

After a long day at work what would relax you best, having an alcoholic drink (yes) or listening to music (no)?

Lily xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Old 11-10-2008, 08:10 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Recovering Codependant

My description thus far reads as follows....

I am 28. I have one daughter and I am very close to my family who I love dearly and who bring me a lot of joy.
I have recently returned to college to study accountancy.
I like to keep busy and so I also have many hobbies, my passion being music.
I am a little quirky and have a great sense of fun, still young at heart!
I would like to expand my circle of friends and meet people who will add to the fun in my life.

Any psychologists in the house who want to point out if i am hitting any no no's here?

Lily xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Old 11-10-2008, 08:17 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Yield beautiful changes

Originally Posted by Lilyflower View Post
My description thus far reads as follows....

I am 28. I have one daughter and I am very close to my family who I love dearly and who bring me a lot of joy.
I have recently returned to college to study accountancy.
I like to keep busy and so I also have many hobbies, my passion being music.
I am a little quirky and have a great sense of fun, still young at heart!
I would like to expand my circle of friends and meet people who will add to the fun in my life.

Any psychologists in the house who want to point out if i am hitting any no no's here?

Lily xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I'm not a psychologist, but I wouldn't say that you're "still young at heart".
You're 28, Lily!!!
That's young all around!

I think you sound like a great girl - I want to be your friend!

-TC
Old 11-10-2008, 08:33 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I think that most online profiles are too generic. I would encourage you to share a little bit of what makes you unique. What is it about accountancy that intrigues you? What kind of music are you passionate about and why? What is it that makes you "quirky?" What does "fun" mean to you?

Having said that, there is no way that I know of to discourage attracting the "wrong" types. Just as in real life, you will come across healthy and not-so-healthy people. You did great in recognizing the red flags and determining that this person was not who you want to spend more time with. I'm sure you will get more opportunities to practice your recovery. Remember to trust your gut feelings and you will be fine.

One thing I found is that I tend to look at the good points in order to justify the bad. People are not always as blatantly controlling as the one you encountered. Sometimes it's more subtle and many times there are enough positives that it can be easy to overlook the red flags. That is where you must listen to your inner guidance.

Good luck and have fun. It takes courage to put yourself out there again.

L
Old 11-10-2008, 08:41 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hey Lily - glad you are taking the chance (also glad you're back :-) )

FWIW, my cousin just married a man she met on line. He's terrific, and so is she. I had another friend who did the same about 8 years ago, so I believe it is possible to meet someone that way.

What are the other questions - for him or you? Is it you who likes to be pampered, give orders re housecleaning and not save money?
Old 11-10-2008, 08:44 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Recovering Codependant

Originally Posted by Chrysalis123 View Post
..Kind of like the 12 steps...I am admitting I am ready _ just not able to take action yet!!

Anyway, as I was reading your post I thought, "She is getting to practice her new skills on this guy. She is getting to she how strong she is, capable of expressing her needs in a healthy way, and she is taking a risk." Well done Lily!.
Thanks Chrys! it is all a learning curve, heck the past 10 years I haven't done such a great job, so it's gonna take some time to learn, but without the praticals you never learn do you!?

Lily xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Old 11-10-2008, 08:55 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Recovering Codependant

Originally Posted by denny57 View Post
Hey Lily - glad you are taking the chance (also glad you're back :-) )

FWIW, my cousin just married a man she met on line. He's terrific, and so is she. I had another friend who did the same about 8 years ago, so I believe it is possible to meet someone that way.

What are the other questions - for him or you? Is it you who likes to be pampered, give orders re housecleaning and not save money?
I'm being a bit of a detective! the q's are for him to answer, it's a tool the site has to help you out in your searches. you get to choose the questions from a list or construct your own, so on some I have written my own question and I admit I'm being a bit sneaky because in the question I may have stuck a 'yes' next to the answer I do NOT want them to give! Personally, no I don't like to bark orders I'd rather we both pitch in, I don't mind the occasional pampering like if I'm ill, but I also don't want to meet a lay about, and I do like to save money, I think it is important.

Lily xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

PS thanks for welcoming me back! I have missed you guys!
Old 11-10-2008, 08:56 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Recovering Codependant

Originally Posted by ToughChoices View Post
I'm not a psychologist, but I wouldn't say that you're "still young at heart".
You're 28, Lily!!!
That's young all around!

I think you sound like a great girl - I want to be your friend!

-TC
aaaahh thanks! I guess I feel older in my head than I actually am lol! Well living with an A will do that to you!

Lily xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Old 11-10-2008, 09:01 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Ok, well that's a relief LOL! I agree with LTD, it's like dating in the "real" world - there will be hits and misses. What I did when I realized I wasn't meeting someone who I'd continue to date, was just relax for the rest of it, part on good terms and move on. Over time I became less vigilant about looking for red flags and just enjoyed myself, whether or not we ever got together again.

Have fun!
Old 11-10-2008, 09:07 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Recovering Codependant

Originally Posted by LaTeeDa View Post
I think that most online profiles are too generic. I would encourage you to share a little bit of what makes you unique. What is it about accountancy that intrigues you? What kind of music are you passionate about and why? What is it that makes you "quirky?" What does "fun" mean to you?

Having said that, there is no way that I know of to discourage attracting the "wrong" types. Just as in real life, you will come across healthy and not-so-healthy people. You did great in recognizing the red flags and determining that this person was not who you want to spend more time with. I'm sure you will get more opportunities to practice your recovery. Remember to trust your gut feelings and you will be fine.

One thing I found is that I tend to look at the good points in order to justify the bad. People are not always as blatantly controlling as the one you encountered. Sometimes it's more subtle and many times there are enough positives that it can be easy to overlook the red flags. That is where you must listen to your inner guidance.

Good luck and have fun. It takes courage to put yourself out there again.

L

Thanks LTD, I was hoping you would post on this thread cos I remember you mentioning this type of dating in some of your posts!

I appreciate the advice, I like the idea of being more specific. Trying to walk the wire of getting people interested and not sounding too desperate lol!

It was a strange experience, I know some have had a long time off the circuit and my 5 years out of this scene is only a short time relatively, but oh my, it feels like longer! I was really happy that I could turn round and say 'no' and I wasn't so eager to just be with someone that I ignored all the negatives.

I agree that I'm going to get lots of practice, as I say, it is not about finding someone long term for me right now, more like I just want to have that practice and the chance to try out some of my new found skills!

I guess I am testing myself, trying the water etc. No more hiding away in my home feeling like life is passing me by. Yes, he hurt me, and yes, it still has it's scars that need some time longer, but I no longer want to feel that that relationship is still standing in my way, I will no longer allow the pain and fear I felt in that time to prevent me from living my life now.

Lily xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Old 11-10-2008, 09:31 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Recovering Codependant

Originally Posted by Bernadette View Post
Hey Lily--
Good for you for recognizing the red flags!!

Can you just state in your profile: "Not into a partying lifestyle." or "No heavy drinkers, no drugs."

Good luck!
Peace-
B.
Was just thinking about this. The strange thing was that the guy I went out with actually said in his profile that he ''drank occasionally'', turns out occasionally to him meant often.

I guess it is all trial and error, what some folk think is not heavy drinking I would, so there's always that chance that I will just have to see what they are like on a night out/dinner date and judge it from there.

Lily xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Old 11-10-2008, 10:30 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Not sure how helpful this is but when I was on an online site, I decided to keep myself relatively generic(too may creepy people out there lol). Now I did list my interests , which meant the person contacting me would hopefully have one in common. I gave up and found it humorous after awhile. One bored afternoon I sent a joking email to a guy 2500 miles away(talk about safe!) He answered back and well..in time, he moved across country and we are together. By together, I mean we are I guess bf and gf, gosh that sounds silly at my age (51), any way he lives about 30 miles away and we are together whenever possible. He knows and respects my need to take life slow.
I kind of like having my own space right now. I will say this relationship is so comfortable, unlike the seemingly consuming intensity of my relationship with my XA. I have yet to lose my peace or serenity with him in the last 7 months.
Old 11-10-2008, 11:20 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
DII

Just don't date someone who drinks....there's lot's of them pout there.
Old 11-10-2008, 11:26 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Good for you on recognising the red flags on that date, and bravo for stepping out there.

I love this part of your post:
Yes, he hurt me, and yes, it still has it's scars that need some time longer, but I no longer want to feel that that relationship is still standing in my way, I will no longer allow the pain and fear I felt in that time to prevent me from living my life now.
I met my new boyfriend on facebook of all places. We knew the same circle of friends without actually knowing each other.

It's time for you to put yourself first and enjoy yourself. Go out and be yourself, meet new people, talk about you. You're a great girl and whoever you meet is a lucky guy.
Old 11-10-2008, 12:54 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I think online dating is a wonderful new tool to meet people. It gives you a chance to really talk to a person before you actually meet them. That is if you are taking your time before the first f2f meeting. My XRABF and I met online. We were open and honest about everything. We talked and talked and talked and couldn't wait to meet each other. Luckily that same chemistry was there when we did meet.
I have met a couple of others online and even though they were perfectly nice on the phone or online, the chemistry wasn't there when we met. I really think you will get an instant feeling about someone, if you have taken your time before the face to face meeting.
Good luck, dating...be very careful to check out who you meet (google or local online clerk of court). Be especially careful not to give your heart away too soon. To have your heart, they must earn it!

Peace and Love!
:ghug