Formula for failure?

Old 11-10-2008, 05:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

Formula for failure?

This was the reading for yesterday (11/09) - I hope everyone enjoys the reminder as much as I did -
Wishing you Serenity, Joy & Love,
Rita

Today's thought from Hazelden is:

I cannot give you the formula for success, but I can give you the formula for failure - try to please everybody.
--Herbert Bayard Swope

Principles are rules or codes of conduct we set for ourselves; like being honest, striving to be on time, and taking responsibility for bills and expenses. It is up to us to abide by these principles.

When we compromise a principle for someone else's benefit, we jeopardize the strength of that principle and its importance to us. If we want to be honest, then lying to cover up another's actions compromises that principle. If we want to be on time and someone makes demands that cause us to arrive late, we have compromised ourselves and let someone else's desire dominate.

We need to set certain standards for ourselves and abide by them, even if another person will not be pleased. To let principles trump over the demands and desires of another is a victory for our inner peace. If we are true to ourselves, we will learn we can count on ourselves no matter what.

Is anyone making demands upon my principles? Help me be true to myself and not make compromises I will regret.
Old 11-10-2008, 05:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Thanks for this, Rita.

I spent a good portion of my life as a card carrying people pleaser. I would have done dang near anything to make sure you liked me, and I would have died a thousand deaths if you didn't. It's just how I was raised. It was was my "duty" to make sure that you were ok and happy and had what you needed, and my wants & needs were squashed down and totally unimportant to anyone - including myself.

That's why my signature line is so important to me now: What other people think of me is really none of my business.. Recovery has taught me Others' thoughts, opinions, choices etc are about THEM and not about ME.

I have to live with myself. I am able to get up and look at myself in the morning and say that I like who I see looking back at me.

Thanks for this reading. It was a good reminder.

Cats

Last edited by CatsPajamas; 11-10-2008 at 07:28 AM.
Old 11-10-2008, 07:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Jujubee Queen

Thanks Rita,
Gosh I need to be reminded of how I was, every so often, cause I sure can relapse right back there...!