Notices

Feeling disconnected from life!

Old 11-07-2008, 06:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feeling disconnected from life!

Good Morning all... Just wanted to pop in and say hi! I haven't been posting much the last few days and feel a little disconnected from here... from life!

Today is... ah... hold on let me count... 19 days for me. I'm very proud of myself thus far... but I'm just not feeling right. In the mornings I feel my best, but as the day goes on I start to feel sluggish and tired. Once I pick up my son from day-care and we go home, I don't want to do too much. I feel bad because I want time to go by fast so I can put my child to bed and then I can than crawl into bed myself. Most nights I am falling asleep by 9:00. Last night I made it to 9:30 *GASP* I know! I'm sure the time change has something to do with how tired I am so early. But I feel mentally drained.

The best part is looking forward to each sober day that I wake up. I still LOVE being sober and haven't had any cravings thus far... well I shouldn't say that... I haven't had any cravings that I wasn't able to control. I'm just not feeling myself and it's really friggin ANNOYING me!!!! Has this happened to anyone else?
Old 11-07-2008, 06:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good Morning! :)

I am a SAHM and I know that for me, it has been a real challenge and I often feel the way you describe. It's easy for me experience H.A.L.T. while being at home. Everything is connected to everything. As you are probably more than aware, there could be many reasons for your energy slump in the afternoon, ranging from lack of excitement (boredom) to stress, to lack of exercise or poor diet. I don't want to presume any of these describe you, but they certainly describe me lately. I am bored to tears. I am lonely and honestly, I've become just plain lazy because I often feel like, "What's the point?" I do feel as though I have tried to overcome all of these things/feelings by getting out and going places with my children, but I just haven't found anyone like-minded or that I really click with. Which totally stinks. It's not that I am not open-minded or accepting of other personalities, I just think - again - what's the point if I don't really enjoy "so and so's company", you know? But I suppose I need to keep trying and not give up which is what I eventually did. I stopped looking for friends and keeping myself busy. This is when I my drinking began daily. I don't know if any of this describes your situation, but if so, I hope it lent a little insight into your situation and why you might be feeling this way. I know I have a lot of work ahead of me, but I know it can all be done.

Hang in there! :) :) :)
Old 11-07-2008, 07:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

I found that taking vitamins and eating better/healthier foods helped me in early recovery. But should this problem concern you--you may consider talking with your doctor to be sure nothing else could be medically wrong.
Old 11-07-2008, 07:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Glad to see you are still around! I'm feeling similar to what you described... not sure what to say other than I know it will eventually pass!
Old 11-07-2008, 07:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Good advice.

I was extremely tired the first weeks of sobriety. My body was in transition from being dependant on alcohol for it's energy, calories and nutrition. I was very sluggish as my body adapted to healthy foods and increased exercise. I had to push myself. Some days it was hard to make it through the day. Now things are improving. I have more energy at 74 days sober. My body seems to be accepting the healthy food choices I am making.

Give yourself time to adjust. I also recommend reading the nutrition information for recovering addicts in "Under the Influence". They have meal plans for dealing with hypoglycemia. Our blood sugar is whacked from alcohol abuse.

About the boredom: I know several members here (including myself) did some painting and re-organizing of our homes. Try to recognize what may be happening here mentally. Your mind may be protesting sobriety. My mind was always looking forward to "Happy Hour", it was a daily event. My mind was the annoying protestor when we started skipping happy hour. Like a toddler's tantrum. "Okay, if we can't drink today, what the hell else is there?" (My mind gets verbally abusive )

Find your way through this. It is so worth the effort!
Old 11-07-2008, 07:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Pelican...Very insightful and encouraging post! Thank you so much! Everything you shared makes a lot of sense and I can so relate :)
Old 11-07-2008, 07:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
being me

Hi Shanman,

I know we have the same sober date, and I have also been feeling more fatigued than usual. I can relate to going to bed early, and feeling very tired after work. I got myself some more vitamins and am trying to avoid the "no-no" food in the "Under the Influence" book. I haven't gotten into an exercise routine yet, but I know that would help out a lot. Going to start with some simple yoga or stretching each morning as my goal.

Hang in there!

K
Old 11-07-2008, 08:06 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi,

I'm glad you've got 19 sober days, but try to remember that this is still relatively early in your recovery. I would ask you what changes you have made in your life, besides stopping drinking? Are you eating well, taking vitamins, getting exercise daily? It really takes balance, I believe, to recover. And, one small change can have a ripple effect in your life. For example, I started going on long walks after supper to break the habit of drinking. Almost right away, I noticed that I started to feel physically stronger and also, I found the walks very peaceful and sometimes even spiritual times.
Old 11-07-2008, 08:28 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

grrr...Sounds like you're taking all the right steps to fight fatigue! :) I hope it all starts kicking in soon and you begin feeling full of energy!

Anna...Thank you for those reminders and tips! :) The walk is a great idea...:)

shanman422...Thank you for starting this thread. It has been so helpful to me. I was wondering...what time do you get up in the morning? I'm usually up by 6am and if I'm not still picking up the kitchen or folding laundry at 9pm, I'm ready to pass out myself. I know a lot of people that go to sleep that early. Also, your body is going through a lot of adjustments right now so even though the low energy is a pain, it's really great that your body is getting all that sleep in order to repair and rebuild cells. And one last thought...how are you spending your mornings? I know that if I don't tend to be active in the morning, I have less energy to get through my day. Unfortunately, I've been so exhausted that all I've been doing is sitting at the computer drinking coffee in between getting up to take care of the kids. That hasn't helped my energy levels at all. Honestly, by 3pm, I'm ready for the day to be over! I don't know...just some more thoughts! Wish we lived closer so we could meet up with the kids and encourage each other! :)
Old 11-07-2008, 09:13 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone!

BF - I get up at 6:15... so it makes sense why I'm tired, but I just don't want to be... haha

I eat well... although since Halloween I have a sugar snack every afternoon, and that will continue until that basket of goodies is gone in my office!

I haven't worked out in over a month... YIKES! I KNOW I have to, and I KNOW I will fill a ton better, but I haven't been motivated. Tomorrow I am going to get myself up and outside for a nice long walk.

My son and I are going to Barnes and Noble tonight... and i'm looking forward to getting the "under the influence" book! Really looking forward to a good read!

Shannon
Old 11-07-2008, 02:02 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Shannon - You did get great advice. I have one thing to offer up. If you work during the day, which it sounds like you do, are you leaving in the dark and coming home in the dark? My husband does and I have noticed a huge change in him. He is very tired and he has craved carbs in a big way. I know with him because he gets this way every year it is what they call SAD (seasonal affective disorder).

I am not a doctor and so this is just my opinion. Hope it helps!
Old 11-07-2008, 03:44 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks HL!!!

That could definitely be true. I've always gotten depressed/fatigued in the fall months but I thought that was due to the loss of my best friend (suicide Oct 20th, 11 years ago)... Since his death, literally every year I was drinking more and having such a hard time.

The fact that it's dark when i'm driving home from work now, could contribute to my mood and fatique! I know you didn't just diagnose me with that... haha but I never thought of it before.

I love light... As soon as I wake up in the morning I open every curtain in the house so the sun/light shines in. My office at work the shades are open all day... it just makes me happy. It's been really gloomy the last week... so that's also something that may be contributing to my fatique.

I already have a 9am date to walk with one of my good friends in the morning... I'm really looking forward to it!

Later Gators,

Shannon