Udate on my son

Old 11-05-2008, 02:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Udate on my son

Hi everyone:

Well, my son came home from prison on Oct. 25. He was trying to get into a program, was accepted, but parole officer said NO!!! His reason was he had anger management meetings to go to and this program did not offer them! DUMB!

He had no place to go and I didn't offer; however, Mr. Dev said he could stay with us as long as he went along with the program. OMG! He listened to what Mr. Dev had to say and then thanked him.

So, here it is 10 days now with us. You believe it or not, he got himself a job within 3 days making 25.00 a hour as a mason. There aren't any jobs here, my friend's son has been out of work for a year!! I couldn't believe it! All I can say is there is a God.

He started the next day came home right after work, wet & exhausted, ate dinner with us, took a bath and went to bed by 7:30. That has been his routine so far.

He has been neat as a pin, respectful, grateful, and a pleasure to be around!
He makes his bed before he leaves, follows alll the rules so far and I'm scared to death to get my hopes up.

He even volunteered to cook at the 1st of the month pancake breakfast here at the Grange. I was impressed with how well he did, so were they. Did 60 breakfasts. Didn't tell them he got his experience as the fire-camp cook! LOL

Anyway, time will tell. I'm not letting my guard down. Mr. Dev told me not to treat him like a child. In fact, leave him alone. Do not say "you can't" "You better not!" or any of the usual warnings.

Keep praying that this continues. His parole officer came to the house and said, "OMG, why would anyone give this up?" Guess he liked the living conditions huh?

Ok, I'll keep you posted. Just keep lighting the candles.

Hugs, Devastated
Old 11-05-2008, 02:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Cautiously optimistic! I sincerely hope - for his sake - that he really is on his way to the life he can have!

Could have let us know before the big pancake breakfast! Breakfast is my favorite meal!!!!

Thanks for the update!

Hugs
Old 11-05-2008, 02:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

Oh (((Dev))))

I hope with all my heart he makes it.
Old 11-05-2008, 02:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good for him for trying so hard!
Stay tough for yourself
Old 11-05-2008, 03:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
BBD

Oh Dev, Thats sounds wonderful. Listen to Mr. Dev. I think dads know best!! It was great that your son found a job so fast and it seems to be tiring him out. I wish the best for all of you with this change and am praying things stay the way they are......Gotta give that son of yours credit. It has to be so hard coming home to mom and dad at this age.....big smiles here for you all, Bonnie
Old 11-05-2008, 03:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I love this quote:

Yesterday is History. Tomorrow is a Mystery, and Today is a gift. That's why we call it the Present.

Enjoy your sons "present"! And try not to worry about what might or might not happen in the future. (((hugs)))
Old 11-05-2008, 03:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

(((Dev)))

So glad to hear you all are doing great. I understand the cautious optimism, but for today? All sounds good.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 11-05-2008, 04:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Friends

Thank you all for your prayers.

One day at a time!! That's how we're taking it!

Thank you all for your prayers.

Splendra, me too! I hope and pray this will be the time! I know he said this was the hardest time he ever did. I'm praying 46 is the magic age. To think I thought it was 18. Silly me!

Hello-Kitty, I going around quoting you all day long! You're so right. We must always remember that.

Hi Bonnie, are you kidding coming home difficult? In this house? Anyone would jump at the chance to have Mr. Dev's fabulous meals every day. Shoot, it's like being at a restaurant each day. What's not to like? LOL

Bay Area Phoenix, ok, sorry, the pancake breakfast is the first Sunday of each month! I volunteered once with mr. Dev, and have been there ever since.

Winnie, sure hope he continues trying hard for his sake and that of his daughter and grandaughter!! It's time!

Hugs to you all, Devastated
Old 11-05-2008, 04:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
BBD

Dev, Your one lucky lady and I hope you know that. My hubby doesn't cook anything.......I've often thought of giving up the kitchen too so he'll learn..maybe with this retirement he'll catch on a bit.. He is great around the house thou' I always have a To Do list that he's tackling......Enjoy your son and keep the faith. Bonnie
Old 11-05-2008, 05:01 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Dev. Just enjoy your time with him. One day at a time. Hugs, Marle
Old 11-05-2008, 07:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

How wonderful. He made his bed!! Maybe he could show a few people around here how to do that. Oh, and breakfast!!

I agree with Marle. One day at a time to enjoy.

Hugs,
Old 11-05-2008, 07:19 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

He started the next day came home right after work, wet & exhausted, ate dinner with us, took a bath and went to bed by 7:30. That has been his routine so far.
It's the sheets, I tell ya, threadcount means everything

I am so happy for all of you, Dev. It's been a long road and I have to say that I like Mr. Dev's idea...he minds the rules and you get to enjoy life without worrying about him.

It sounds like he is giving this recovery thing a good shot, maybe he saw how well it worked for his mama.

Hugs
Old 11-05-2008, 07:22 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Mega
Prayers continuing for you and your family

I know our addict/alcoholics can change.
My son and daughter are now living
together...staying clean and sober...being responsible

This year they are 52 and 53...with
years of various addictions and crazy vehavior.

That is entirely their deal.
I turned them over to God a long time ago.
Like you...I keep praying.
Old 11-06-2008, 05:30 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Jujubee Queen

I hope he didn't take MY bedroom?

Ah Dev,
So glad to hear he is moving in the right direction. He sure is sounding like he's turned a corner, maiking his bed, of all things! I am impressed.
I"m staying optimistic that this is his time.

My son, (who's GF is PG and due in March) is 35, and I was REALLY hoping 35 is the magic number!
We never know, do we Dev......

Hugs, and prayers for all of you...
Old 11-06-2008, 06:32 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

(((Dev)))
You and the Mr have waited long to have this peace around you. I'm so happy for you.
Enjoy each day!
(((Hugs)))
Old 11-06-2008, 10:28 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
On a tear

Hi Dev,

I don't get in here as much as I used to - but with my kid in jail and her hubby in prison... I may visit a bit more often.

So glad your boy is doing well.... and that hubby has some good advice, doesn't he? Hard to follow... at least, for me, it is. Though with the help of Alanon and a sponsor, I AM getting better.

Your experience over the years is partly what has helped me not "help" too much during this most recent chaos... thank you for that.

I am still waiting for my kid to complain about the sheets... grin.
Old 11-06-2008, 12:31 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
rozied

Dear Dev, I was so happy to read your hubby offered to let him stay & that so far things are going well.
My AS is 42 & will be in jail until 12/09. I am praying after doing his time he will have had enough. I will keep your son in my prayers. I am so happy for you.
Love,
Diane
Old 11-06-2008, 02:51 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

That'sw great news and behavior. As well all know it's One Day At a Time, but these days are great!.

Prayers for continued recovery.
Old 11-06-2008, 03:29 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hi Friends

Thanks again for all your prayers and support.

As I said before, and as we all know too well, it will take more than a couple of weeks of good behaviour before I can do any celebrating; however, one day at a time is ok for now.

Last night Mr. Dev volunteered to cook a dinner for 20 people that have been working really hard helping raise money for various charities. I, of course, went along with him to serve them.

My son asked where we were going and decided he would like to tag along and help! YIPES! This is scary!

He not only came along, but got right in and made salad and appetizers for the group. He was helping serve as well and was so personable I was actually proud! People were really enjoying his sense of humor.

One lady, poor thing, came in late and was so hungry. He was trying to fix a plate for her and all the while he was dishing up pasta she was eating with her hands. He looked at me like OMG when was the last time she ate.

Then she started taking the salad out of the bowl with her hands! He said, let me help you. She said, "where's my fork?" He said, "it might have gotten buried under your salad!" I thought I was going to "pee" my pants!

He washed all the dishes and cleaned the kitchen and off we went home to bed. Talked to Mr. Dev and I and laughed at the evening's events.

Gosh Moose you know I wouldn't give up your room! Although he was sort of comparing his sheets with yours. LOL

Ann, I think he had such a bad experience with the thread count being so poor in the last prison that he has vowed to stay clean and stay home! LOL Don't we wish it was that easy???

Cece, you're right about that! I just hope the peace lasts for a long while.
Fingers crossed!! One time he lasted 5 years and then relapsed!

Big Sis, Moose, Carol, who knows what the magic age is. I sure hope it's all of our children's magic age starting from the youngest to the oldest.

Thanks again for hoping and praying with me that we we be able to celebrate yet one more success story.

Hugs, Devastated:praying
Old 11-06-2008, 04:01 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Well, I took my silk prison wedding dress, you know...the cute little black and white number...and I made sheets and pillowcases out of it (okay, so there was a lot of fabric in that silk dress) and now I have thread count AND snazzy sheets.