New Here

Old 11-04-2008, 05:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New Here

Hello everyone. I have been lurking here for a while just wanting to see if I could see any similarities with anyone and their situations - it really shows me that I am not alone. I am married to a clinically depressed alcoholic. I am 31 and he is 37. We have been together for 14 years and married for 9. We have an 8 year old son and a 3 year old daughter. I have always known that he had issues with depression and alcohol but I just kept hoping that he would eventually "get better". It has gotten very bad over the last year. For 13 years we had never seperated but have had 3 seperations this year - and this will be the last. I have filed for divorce. He is currently in a rehab facility (has been in detox twice and rehab twice as well). He is a kind, loving man with a huge heart and I will always love him - but I have finally realized that I am not "in love" with him anymore. I know that I can't go through any of this anymore and I am really trying to be strong. There are sooooo many things that have happened that I won't get into now. Both of his parents are alcoholics - his father has been sober for about 30 years but his mother is currently on her deathbed because of her excessive drinking - we have been told she has approx. one week left. He gets out of rehab tomorrow and I am scared to have to finally confront him as we have had no contact for 6 weeks now. He does know that I have filed for divorce but I don't think that he believes that I will really go through with it (and why would he - I have always let him back in before). I read so many stories where women say that they have been married to an alcoholic for 20, 30, 40 years and I don't want that to be me. In my heart I don't believe that this rollercoaster will ever end. I am so sad and letting go of the dream that I had for our family is the hardest of all for me right now. Well thanks for "listening" - and I thank all of you for sharing your stories - it really has helped me out a lot.

~Danilee
Old 11-04-2008, 07:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
CindeRella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!

Welcome to SR Danilee! So sorry that you are going through this however you sound like you know where you want to head and that is a great start! I believe that we all get to a point when we have had enough and it is then when a strength that we have never known appears and it is then we start to walk towards what we want in life!

I came here to SR because of the A's in my life but, I stayed because of me-That is a statement that has been said around here a lot and holds true! Glad that you found us and stopped "lurking" I do hope that you stick around there is a lot of support here as you have seen! Please check out the stickies at the top of the forum as they are filled with a wealth of information!

Also do not know if you have considered going to an Al-Anon meeting? I also went there because of the A's in my life and I gain so much just walking in the door each week about myself!

Keep posting!
Old 11-04-2008, 08:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Trying to find a path

Welcome. I am sorry you are going through this too. It is so hard when you realize that the best way to love someone is to let them go.

Al-Anon has been very helpful for me. Also reading here is very helpful. I left my AW thinking that she would wake up after realizing that I was gone. Instead she decided to drink away any feeling she might have rather than deal with them or me. I just want for her to wake up and see what she is doing to herself and her family. I learned through Al-Anon and SR that I can't wake her up, only she can do that.

I am so sad and letting go of the dream that I had for our family is the hardest of all for me right now.
When I left I felt like I was the worst person in the world for leaving someone who was "Sick" alone to fight her demons. I realized that as long as I was there it was me who had to fight them. I would never let them get to her. I am finding it hard to let go of that dream too. I balance it by realizing that only half of us had that dream! Even if I had stayed that dream wasn't coming true.

She may never wake up but I did and it sounds like you have too. I wish you all the strength you need for you and your children. Life has a way of getting better with time.