Saw a counselor today

Old 11-04-2008, 12:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Saw a counselor today

I went in because I just can no longer cope with this rollercoaster ride. I had to talk to someone. So the receptionist got me in right away.

It basically was an assessment but I got some answers to the questions that keep rolling around in my head. I need to do what is best for me right now and the counselor told me that I can't fix his problem but if I understand what is happening (codependency/counter dependency) then maybe I will start to think more rational instead of emotional.

I am sure that I have been told that before here and by others but somehow it seemed more offical from him. I think that if I can get out of the emotional thinking that the pain will hurt alot less.

I also realized AGAIN that this has nothing to do with our relationship this is ALL him. If you were to take drugs out of the equation we would still be together but the sad fact is that drugs are apart of the situation and I need to accept that.

Ok, so now that I have burned that into my head I need to keep moving forward. The counselor also suggested an intervention. He said we would brainstrom about things I could do but that it didnt mean I had to do it. I am not sure if that would work but I am comfortable with putting it on the table.

And I guess lastly, I have to be ok with the idea that even if he stopped using today right now we still would be a long road from where we were. We still would need to rebuild alot that has happened. So I guess right now I can decide not to decide. Accept things for what they are and realize that they can and will change. I guess I can accept that for today.
Old 11-04-2008, 12:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good for you Cassandra.

Sometimes we need that last time to hear it. I'm the same way. Whether it's "official" or just the phrasing or tone or whatever - glad you heard it this time and feel like you have something to go with!

Keep up the momentum!

Hugs to you
Old 11-04-2008, 01:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

((Cassandra))

Good for you!!! I know I heard the same things over and over, but it never "clicked" in my brain until I was READY to hear it.

I'm glad you're getting help for you....you, very much, deserve it.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 11-04-2008, 01:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congratulations on taking care of you

I have often relied on therapists - sometimes I really needed someone who was completely detached that could help me see reality.
Old 11-04-2008, 01:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi. I thought my words would be confusing here so I sent you a PM.
Old 11-04-2008, 01:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you all. Although, I still struggle with reality it makes it alot easier to hear someone who IS detached tell you the same thing that everyone else is saying. Just like his family keeps saying that "oh if he could get off of those pills he would see what he is doing and try to save your family". Lot of good that does when IF is what it hinges on.

He said today that he couldnt go and get help on the 15 now because he has to move. I am sure he will tell everyone in his family that story too. Hopefully he locked himself in with committing to that date for a reason. Here I go again worried about what he is gonna do. This suckss..........
Old 11-04-2008, 02:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

GwenMarie didnt get that PM. Thanks anvilhead you hit it on the head. Help is only offered on the 15!!!! That was great! Sometimes you really need to hear things like that. I always used to say "DO YOU HEAR THE WORDS THAT R COMING OUT OF YOUR MOUTH"!